Question for the Soldiers -- Combat Load

Discussion in 'U.S. Military Services & Veterans' started by cooks128, Nov 29, 2008.

1. cooks128

cooks128 XDTalk 4K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +48 / 0
    Just curios, what is in a current soldier's combat load while on patrol in Iraq or Afghanistan? What are you required to carry, what is considered optional, how many rounds to you carry. What would you "never leave home without"?

How does this compare to what was carried by soldiers during previous time's of war?

Thank you all for your service to our country.

2. mr1incred1ble

mr1incred1ble XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +21 / 0
    Back when I was in (1994-2000), combat load was 210 rounds of 30 round magazines. Extra stuff depends on the mission, the chain of command, etc. for example, in bosnia, a convoy wasn't allowed to leave the camp without at least 4 vehicles (at least 2 people per vehicle) and at least 2 crew serve weapons (M60, SAW, MK19, etc.). plus everyone had to have a magazine in their weapon and their combat load with them, etc. Since the main threat was land mines there and not insurgents, we didn't keep one in the chamber, nor were we issued grenades, etc. although they did keep some in the armory just in case.

3. azguns0331

azguns0331 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Marine Corps 04-08 in iraq our minimum combat load was 180-210rds(m16) 3qts water, all NV equip and serialized wpn gear, cleaning kit, some kind of food to last 24hrs, signaling gear, 50lbs of body armor....With radio I carried 95ish lbs of **** every day on foot patrols. The SAW gunners carried 4-600 rounds for their 20lb gun and they carried about 110-120lbs total.
    You really dont carry anything extra because that **** gets heavy after a few miles of walking up and down hills, through heavy brush, etc. The most import things we carried was our rifle(duh) plenty ammo, signaling crap, radios and water. everything else we could do without indefinitely. (if you were near civilization that is)

4. ShelbyGoat

ShelbyGoat XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    19D OEF 2003-2004 I carried the standard 210 rounds on me, a grenade or two, incendiary grenade next to the radio, AT4 up top with my gunner, and a bunch of other stuff we could fit in the Humvee.

5. slugger6

slugger6 XDTalk 85K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +172 / 3
    A "hundred years ago" in Vietnam when I worked in Special Ops a typical load for me was 300 rounds (15 20 round magazines) for my CAR-15; two M26 fragmentation grenades,; two M18 smoke grenades; and a three-day supply of water and homemade South Vietnamese field rations. Water, ammo, and food were the three essentials in that order. We wore neither helmets nor body armor. Traveling light was the "name of the game."

6. Cannibul

Cannibul XDTalk 5K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +27 / 0
    Since the time of Rome the average foot solider has carried around 50-70 lbs of gear.

The gear has changed but the weight has not.

7. ghost--scout

ghost--scout XDTalk 2K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Being motorized Infantry we had tons of gear, but the essentials on our vests were minimum 6 mags rifle ammo, 4 mags pistol ammo, 2 grenades, first aid kit, escape and evasion kit, tourniquet attached to the outside shoulder loop, bayonet (or combat knife, but the Marine bayonet is freaking awesome for both!) and a camelback. In our dismount pack we had 2 canteens, a few extra mags of ammo, 2 mres (broken down) and batteries for a radio (someone also had a radio in their pack). The idea behind our gear setup and dismount pack was that we could pack into our sister section's vehicles, get dropped off for a limited duration Observation Post (no more than 12 hours of solid daylight without resupply or prior planning) or we could be a quick reaction and augmentation force to another unit that has taken casualties. Each truck had a convoy medical bag (with litter), probably 30 liters of water, 2 boxes of MREs, and lots of crew served ammo.

8. psc

psc XDTalk 5K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +47 / 0
    I carried anywhere from 300 t0 420 5.56...60 9mm outside the wire during my last tour, inside the wire I only carried 30 9mm. During most of my other tours, only 210 to 300 5.56 and 30 to 60 9mm, occasionally 2-4 frags. METT-TC dictated on all missions.

9. dincote

dincote XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    There is nothing light about light Infantry :)

minimal load
    210-300 rounds of ammo for main weapon M4
    water 1-2 gallons, heavy, but you drink most if not all.
    NVG or other night peek a boo equip.
    in my case an aid bag full of band aids :cool::wink: and other life saving essentials(to open a small OR)
    food, what ever you want or not
    back up weapon and ammo
    few other goodies, depending on mission

total weight......heavy as sh*&^

freeze night, pack light.

Jose

10. Radio Relay

Radio Relay XDTalk 4K Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    As a poge com tech, I normally just carried some tools, radio spares, some pogey bait, four or five 10 round magazines of m-16 ammo, and a couple eight round .45 mags in my pack when I went out to a radio site. (bet you Grunts get a giggle out of that).

However, I volunteered to carry a radio with the Grunts a few times when they were short of radio operators. Then I carried a prc-25 and spare battery (30 lbs), a bandoleer of m-16 ammo (not sure how many rounds that was, but it was a few) and three magazines of .45 ammunition, an m-16 and .45 pistol, flack jacket and steel pot, and some food and water. All totaled about 80 lbs.... felt like 800.... Gave me a lot of respect for radio humpers.

11. ghost--scout

ghost--scout XDTalk 2K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Can't forget there was at least one gerber multitool and the required night/day optics consisting of 14c, RCO/ACOG, Binos.

12. ArmyGuy45

ArmyGuy45 XDTalk 10K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    210 and the normal stuff that we wear.. one thing i cant stand is this new body armor.. its crap and weighs much more than the IBA and harder to put on... ya the pull strap is nice but your limited to where you can store your crap that your required to wear now ( first aid kit, ammo, knife, etc. )

13. gsh341

gsh341 XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +30 / 0
    I was 88M (Transportation) so much of our stuff was carried on the truck, but there was stuff you always had to have on you. That was 180rds of ammo, IBA, helmet, weapon, multi-tool, gloves and most carried knives of some sort.

Our missions lasted anywhere from 4 to 9 days (some were even longer) and the things carried on the truck were at least one weeks MRE's and water per man, one can of ammo for the M-16s, 2 cans of ammo for crew served weapons, change of clothing, personal hygiene items, CLS bag, radio, cot and sleeping bag. That was the minimum and people always had a few comfort items they brought along. In addition our truck tools always kept being added to. More chains and binders, cargo straps, wrenches, hammers, tow bars, cargo boxes for oil and funnel.

14. rystineusmc0311

rystineusmc0311 XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Aside from the obvious, flak vest with 2 e-sappis and 2 side sappis, first aid kit with a couple extra tourniquets, NVG's with extra batteries. I had 2 frags and 2 flares/popups, as well as 2 flashbangs. I NEVER carried less than 10 mags for my M-16, usually I had 13 for a total of 390 rounds. I also always left with a full camelback, which added alot of weight. Along with all the other goodies (map, bayonet, utility knife/tool, plus other stuff that I cant remember off the top of my head) I know that it tipped at just over 120 pounds of combat gear.

Mind you that was just a load out for a foot patrol, on vehicle patrols we loaded down. But we didn't have to walk so it was all cool. Also that was a few years ago, and in a part of Iraq that was hardly friendly. Things are quite different now from what I've heard.

15. rystineusmc0311

rystineusmc0311 XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    I beg to differ. When I was in Iraq a couple years ago, my combat load was almost always around 120 pounds. The average load for my platoon reached around 100 or so, depending on what each guy was in charge of lugging around. But we would have LOVED to enjoy a 50-70 pound combat load.