Question about use of CLP

Discussion in 'XD Gunsmithing and Maintenance' started by sschrick, Oct 11, 2011.

1. sschrick

sschrick XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    For the all in one cleaner, lube, preventatives like the most popular Break Free CLP, I have a quick question about it's use.

Do you spray the CLP onto the slide, barrel, etc. . .then scrub clean with a brush, then wipe off the dirt/filth. Then, do you spray more CLP onto these items as the lube/protectant aspect OR spray onto a patch and wipe down OR spray CLP onto your finger and rub onto the gun OR just leave it after wiping off the dirt/crud?

Do you run a wet patch with CLP onto it through the barrel after cleaning?

I'm a little unclear and don't want too lube/liquid stuff on the gun.

2. DeadEye-Want2B

DeadEye-Want2B XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I don't trust the "all in one" aspect. Personally I use the Break Free....now Safariland, Powder Blast to clean everything, then I brass bush the barrel and breach face......Then I use the CLP as a lub/protectant, wipe if off after letting sit for a few minutes use a patch in barrel. I then grease the rails, reassemble and I'm done.
    PS: CLP is a FANTASTIC lube on door hinges and knobs.....beats WD 40 (fish oil) or graphite anyday.

3. Dirty Rod

Dirty Rod XDTalk 3K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Amen on that. Exercise gear too.

Agree not the best solvent but works in a pinch. Hoppes, BoreShine, etc are better solvents.

4. ElrodCod

ElrodCod XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    It's still Break Free. Safariland is only licensing the use of their name. Winchester has done the same thing on the BreakFree CLP sold at Wal Mart. It's nothing more than paid advertising on the Break Free label.

5. PhillyGunslinger

PhillyGunslinger XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I use Break-Free for a maintenance cleaning and lube when the gun hasn't been fired.
    Like my carry gun. If I shoot however I use hoppe's to clean, Break-Free to lube.
    There is more modern products to use but I don't see them in these parts. If you don't want to use Break-Free for lube you can use something like Tri-Flow. Tri-Flow is teflon fortified and works very well. In fact 20 years ago, that's all gunshop owners talked about. Tri-Flow ! If it was good then it's still good now ! It smells like Hoppe's though.

6. Mudinyeri

Mudinyeri XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm with Dead-Eye ... the right tool (or chemical) for the job. I've seen a number of instances where the "fabulous all-in-one cleaner, lube, etc., etc." chemicals gum up the firing pin channel and cause light strikes.

Cleaner (solvent) for cleaning.

Lube for lubricating.

7. mbquimby

mbquimby XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +51 / 1
    I hate CLP, simply because of the smell. I was the Armory NCOIC for a while for our unit and I ALWAYS smelled like CLP and I couldn't wash it off. It's like it soaked into your bones or something. When I used it in theater I always felt like you could smell it for miles away. It's OK for it's intended purpose but I'd rather use Hoppes.