Springfield XD Forum banner

Public land in Texas to shoot?

19K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  slammr 
#1 ·
Hi guys, I am new to shooting and was wondering if anyone in Texas knows of a place to go shoot for free. Is there any public land near Dallas Fort Worth that someone could go shoot on? I want to be able to practice different distances and focus on techniques while taking my time and having little distractions. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I would love to know somebody that owns land :)

#6 ·
Texas does not have a whole lot of public land for as big as it is.. It's mostly private, city or state owned.

#7 ·
All I have is two acres. People around me have said its legal to shoot on my property in wise county but I'm just not sure if That's true. I thought you had to have at least 10 acres. If I did tho it'd just be plinking with a 22. Would be worried anything bigger could be too risky.

#8 ·
Honestly It's really not about $ so a drive would not be bad :) It's more about being able to do more, shoot more and have more freedom to say practice rapid fire or shots from different positions. I'm in Haslet which is north of Ft. Worth. Really I would love to come shoot :)

#11 ·
All I have is two acres. People around me have said its legal to shoot on my property in wise county but I'm just not sure if That's true. I thought you had to have at least 10 acres. If I did tho it'd just be plinking with a 22. Would be worried anything bigger could be too risky.
You need to get a Texas Gun Laws handbook. I'm pretty sure it's illegal to shoot on 2 acres. 2 Acres is not that big.

I believe the minimum is 10 acres. I'll have to double check.

#13 ·
^^^^In my research I just read it is county to county. It could be a 2 acre minimum based on the county and population. Next county over could b 5 or 10.

#14 ·
@petyweestraw, man you are like 10-15 min drive from me in fact shoot smart is like right near me! Do you ever go to Quail Creek outdoor range? Its off of 1171 and 35W one ext past the Texas Motor Speedway. We should get together and shoot sometime. And yes in Wise county you can shoot on 2 acres as long as you have a good back stop.

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Is it legal to shoot firearms on my property in the county?
A: As long as it is done safely, there are no firearm ordinances or restrictions in the county. City ordinances may vary.

#15 ·
@petyweestraw, man you are like 10-15 min drive from me in fact shoot smart is like right near me! Do you ever go to Quail Creek outdoor range? Its off of 1171 and 35W one ext past the Texas Motor Speedway. We should get together and shoot sometime. And yes in Wise county you can shoot on 2 acres as long as you have a good back stop.

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Is it legal to shoot firearms on my property in the county?
A: As long as it is done safely, there are no firearm ordinances or restrictions in the county. City ordinances may vary.
No never been there or knew of it. Im new to the whole range thing. Currently all I own is the xd .40 sc I just bought. Now my collection will grow as fast as muh cash flow allows lol. Would like to check it out for sure. Im looking to get a old 30-06 from a guy at work so an outdoor range would be a good place for it.

#16 ·
Im taking my 9 year old to shoot smart this weekend for the first time. My buddy from work lowned me his Browning Pro9 for him to try. It not as harsh as the .40sc so i figure its a good start for him. Id love to get with other shooters on at least a monthly basis. I try to get guys at work too do so -but you know how that goes. Quail creek is deff on my list to visit seeing as its actually closer to me I think. I work in Roanoke but its 2nd shift boooo lol.

#17 ·
But back on subject .............. A couple buddies live off 114 in the Shale Creek development and they went nuts one night with handguns and 12 gauge and a AR. No cops and there are like 4 that live in the development and 3 on his street. But knowing I can as long as i have a safe backing is awesome. Time to start collecting sand bags and building one up in a corner of my lot. Then next step would be to get with neighbors to see whens a good time so Im not pissing anyone off. I have get togethers with friends and Music gets loud so it shouldnt be bad to plink with a .22 or the .40 every so often.

#18 ·
There's a couple of us up in Princeton and elsewhere north of McKinney that have some land. I'll be moving onto 10 acres at the end of the year and plan to setup a small range.

This might be old and no one will respond anymore. I own a 9mm and I am looking for someone that has land we can shoot on we just go somewhere in the woods in princeton but for safe-tier purposes like somewhere legal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.