Springfield XD Forum banner

PSA AK

11K views 48 replies 14 participants last post by  einheit 13 
#1 ·
See less See more
#2 ·
Looks nice! I know there's an AK in my future, it's nice to have more options. Looking forward to hearing how these turn out.

#3 ·
HA...they have a hard time assembling ARs that run 100%, and don't even get me started on their AR10 junk.
Looks like an I/O AK with a PSA tag on it...which an I/O is sh!t anyway. And the price better below $450 with quality on par with Zastava Aks. To buy a WaSR as a cheap AK is pointless vs a Zastava unless you must have AKM compatibility. Maybe their BS selling point will be having FN make barrels for them.... I wonder if they will sell them as blemmed. PTAC, Freedom, and Premium....:rolleyes:

#4 ·
I have never had any quality issues with PSA products... I look forward to seeing what they have to offer!

#8 ·
No, einheit keeps up with things that happens. Search the PSA AR10...go over on barfcom and see the serious qc issues that PSA has been having. I can list the names of 7 people that I know personally that have had a rifle delivered with no gas tube, a barreled upper with a loose barrel nut-as in hand tight, a barrel that is fouled to the point that you see no rifling, a complete upper that looks like the bolt face was plated in brass, an out of spec AR10 upper, an out of spec lower. All the pin holes, and mag latch were too small. All were PSA or premium line. Nothing was PTAC nor Freedom. Sure, they put out stuff that works, but they also send out almost as much crap. I know one guy that is on day 76 for a refund on an upper that was sent back TWICE before. Jon A just went through a pretty typical PSA issue...QC problems. Get this, you buy a rifle kit form them and they say it has been head spaced and test fired. How do you do that on an un-assembled kit with a barrel that has never been used?? Your selling point is an FN barrel. Ok, does it shoot better then an ESS, Shaw, LMT, or Tactical Ambush barrel?? Not that I have seen at all. Moore Machine had the very same set up as PSA. They had more turds with the Ars, but about the same QC. MM has revamped and is now Bear Creek. You get the same 'quality' as anything PSA haves to offer for less money. They do the same thing.

Now PSA has decided to jump on the AK bandwagon. WTF do they know about AKs?? They sell the crappiest AK accessories for the same prices everyone else does. You just can't slap an AK together, many have tried and the end result is always the same. Look at Lancaster, Waffen Werks, JoKen, Hesse/Vulcan/Blackthorn.. I can list 20 more. Look at the I/O offerings and their reported issues. 1 out of 5 AKs have issues, some dangerous. And the issues are very simple QC isuues that should have been caught before, during, and clean up AFTER test firing. People ragged all on Century for their WaSR 'builds'. Century NEVER built any WaSRs. They added a FCG, opened the mag wells, installed a gas piston. The rest of the weapon was 'as delivered' from Romania, canted sights and all. When Arsenal had their canted sights and flaky finish issues, they offered no excuses and, like Century, were easy to get a hold of and repaired/replaced the weapon in a reasonable amount of time. What do you think is going to happen when PSA starts having warranty issues for their AKs?? They can't keep up with the AR15/AR10 issues......Sorry, that is the last company that needs to jump into this game. Oh, and where in the fook are they gonna get the resources to get their line shipping in 60 days?? You can assemble 3 ARs in the time it takes to assemble one AK. An AK takes a minimum of 1.5hrs to assemble with new parts, and that is being in a hurry with no issues. Sure you can go faster, I have. You end up letting something slide though....

Like I said, we'll see how they turn out. I wish them well. I will never buy one from them.

#11 ·
I'm sorry you know people that have had issues. I'm sure there have been some. I also don't have any experience with their AR-10, so maybe that's the difference.

However, barfcom also has a CRAPLOAD of people that have left good reviews and purchase frequently. I wouldn't touch PTAC, but other than the long lead time have been very satisfied with multiple purchases. Let's give them a chance to show their product before we judge it. Who knows, it could be a great deal.

#12 ·
You don't get it. Show me a great PSA deal. They offer their lowers with a magpul package about $20 cheaper then I can come up with. Other then that, there is no savings in what they sell. $199 Ptac uppers. You can do the same on your own. $349 'Premium' uppers with no BCG. You can do better else where. their claim to fame is their sales and PTAC, that is all. They were installing Tool Craft BCGs in some of their uppers. The price with that BCG was more then buying the same barreled upper from them and the BCG straight from Tool Craft......Its all about marketing and what the consumer will put up with.

#13 ·
I got an upper (yes, no BCG or charging handle) for $299 a year or two ago. I already had the charging handle and got a Spikes BCG through Joe Bobs because it was a better deal. The upper had an FN barrel and the quality was pretty damn good. I've never had an issue with it and the fit between that and a Spikes lower was great. Maybe there are better deals out there, but I was happy with the purchase.

I'm not saying this sarcastically, seriously asking, please share these other good deals.

#14 ·
Just checked out tool crafts partner site. Are they any good? My BCGs are Spikes and BCM. I think I paid about the same.

#15 ·
I have had problems with a psa midlength upper.

The gas port was seriously undersized, which resulted in numerous fail to cycles, not locking into battery, short strokes, and ejecting brass so far rearward that it was slinging over my sons shoulder as he was shooting southpaw barely missing the side of his head. Videos below.

I have watched NUMEROUS youtube videos of other PSA uppers ejecting brass at the 5 o'clock position as well.

I don't have a vendetta with psa, but I don't have a short memory either.

Watch both videos if you need proof and want to see that they used a Carbine gas port diameter in my midlength barrel.

And just for reference, these midlength gas port sizes have been widely documented:

Sabre Defense 16" Midlengths shipped with .080"-.082" gas port, Spikes recommend going with .076"-.082", Model 1 Sales barrels are at 0.078", Wilson combat uses .085", Noveske uses .080" and Ranier is using .082"

The PSA midlength barrel on mine had an .072" gas port and once I opened it up to .080, it started ejecting in the 3 and 4 o'clock area and no more cycling failures.

#16 ·
I have had problems with a psa midlength upper.

The gas port was seriously undersized, which resulted in numerous fail to cycles, not locking into battery, short strokes, and ejecting brass so far rearward that it was slinging over my sons shoulder as he was shooting southpaw barely missing the side of his head. Videos below.

I have watched NUMEROUS youtube videos of other PSA uppers ejecting brass at the 5 o'clock position as well.

I don't have a vendetta with psa, but I don't have a short memory either.

[/MEDIA]
That sucks, glad you were able to figure it out.

#18 ·
Since you guys seem very knowledgable, let me ask a question if I can.

I went to the range the other day with one of the ARs and during firing got the dreaded "click". I pull the charging handle back and the damn round was stuck in the bolt face and wouldn't shake off or fire. The RO saw me looking at it and came over and was as perplexed as I was. Finally we used a flashlight to push the round out. There were no markings to indicate that the firing pin had touched the primer. The round went back in and fired fine... Ever heard of this? Didn't happen again. As you pulled the bolt back the round literally was moving with it.

#20 ·
I pull the charging handle back and the damn round was stuck in the bolt face and wouldn't shake off or fire.

As you pulled the bolt back the round literally was moving with it.
That's the extractors job to hold onto the casing as the bolt is cycling rearward.

It's possible there may had been something that got between the extractor and the bolt not let it pivot to let the ejector release it like it was supposed to, but your description sounds extreme for that.

Reactions: Minkman555
#27 ·
The funny thing is, is that we have a ton of customers that are ordering the PSA stuff all the time including my self (current for a 308 build). I would say at least a hundred different AR's in all of the different variants they sell and none have them have shown up with these problems I keep hearing about. Even the blemished stuff I have ordered has been top notch with proper amount of holes and in the right places. Maybe we are just lucky and on the nice list. If your on the naughty list you get an AR without a gas tube.

The Funny thing is that when a Palmetto box comes in either for me or a customer, you open the box and it tells you to inspect it before the dealer does the transfer. It says if you have any issues return it right away. We have yet to have to send one back.

#29 ·
Maybe you need spend some time on ARFCOM and see the sh!t that people get sent to them from PSA. Since you have a PSA 308 coming, you should read all the returns because the chambers were FUBAR or the extractors were tearing chunks off the cases because they used 2 springs and 2 o-rings.. i know plenty of people that have stuff that works just fine from PSA. The issues they seem to have are absolutely silly. People seem to think they are the end all be all of AR stuff, they aren't. They sell their 'premium' line at pretty much the same cost as the rest of the industry. Then they sell the 'freedom' line that seems to be PTAC's 'premium' stuff. You roll the dice with PSA. The CS sucks, as does shipping. i have ordered ammo from them before and shipping times were quite fast. I just don't like a company that sells crap next to mediocre next to quality....you know damn well the parts are gonna get mixed up. Get one of their 9mm kits and see if they put the right hammer in the box. The shop up the street from me has 27 of them that need a 9mm hammer or the stepped BC. It says stepped BC, but that ain't what is in the box.

And a PSA 308 upper that won't chamber any of these....

Mmmm, just a function check huh??

Correct headspacing....on an empty chamber??

#30 · (Edited)
Unless I see it my self, I don't even take the words from the almighty AR 15.com either. Just like you can find on this forum there are plenty of examples of the same bad mouthing/complaints/issues ect about Springfield. Every brand has it.

Like I said I have personally transferred at least 100 different Palmetto products in the last couple yrs and none of them have shown these horrible issues. I know what I have seen with my own eyes and what I have used. I must be on the special list that only gets the good stuff. There are others on this forum that use and own Palmetto products and none of them are repeating these claims either. We must all just be the luck minority. The only experience I share with everyone else is the slow shipping, but that's Palmetto you live with it or go to another vendor.

It just seems like you have a vendetta or something against them. They wronged you once and now you take every advantage to let others know about it. That's just my perception. Why not start your own company and put Palmetto out of business and show us how it's done.

#32 ·
James killed the thread with the hat trick. PSA is A-1 i've never had an issue from them and I order from them almost weekly.

Sure a lot of AR companys just stamp there name on lowers but that's just business. A lot of people talk about barrel/upper/lower from company A vs company B and all of this arguing is really just starting flamewars over the exact same product. I think there are 2 or 3 barrel manufactures for AR's and different company's pay for different tolerances (some better/some worse) but when it comes down to it, an AR-15 is an AR-15 and most of the crap originates from the same OEM. Non-disclosure agreements are signed and the brand wars continue online/in person and it's great for business.

And James also nailed it... XD's are guns from Croaita that are shipped here, and stamped with Springfield Illinois.

PS:
If you want a 100% American made Pistol get a Glock 42.

#34 ·
And James also nailed it... XD's are guns from Croaita that are shipped here, and stamped with Springfield Illinois.
You mean Croatia isn't a place in Illinois?? :shock:

8)

#36 ·
Sorry I just think before we poop all over a new product why don't we wait and actually see it. This is the type of business we need to grow, a company like palmetto will push the prices down and the consumer as a whole will benefit. With Palmetto entering the AK market, Kalisnikov coming to the US and magpie hitting the AK market heavier it will grow that AK market here in the US. I see some great things in the AK market coming.

#40 ·
Unless I see it my self, I don't even take the words from the almighty AR 15.com either. Just like you can find on this forum there are plenty of examples of the same bad mouthing/complaints/issues ect about Springfield. Every brand has it.

Like I said I have personally transferred at least 100 different Palmetto products in the last couple yrs and none of them have shown these horrible issues. I know what I have seen with my own eyes and what I have used. I must be on the special list that only gets the good stuff. There are others on this forum that use and own Palmetto products and none of them are repeating these claims either. We must all just be the luck minority. The only experience I share with everyone else is the slow shipping, but that's Palmetto you live with it or go to another vendor.

It just seems like you have a vendetta or something against them. They wronged you once and now you take every advantage to let others know about it. That's just my perception. Why not start your own company and put Palmetto out of business and show us how it's done.
No vendetta at all towards them, I just don't like the company as a whole. You have transferred a couple hundred in a couple of years. I sometimes see as many as 50 in a month. When you see/sell PSA, JSE, DSA side by side and compare the overall fit and finish for the $$$, you would see it also. PSA is always playing catch up and it shows. They remind me a lot of what Lancaster turned into.

#41 ·
Ein,

are you aware that the PSA-10 stuff is in a weird pattern? I don't know the specifics off the top of my head but a lot of people are having issues with them because they are buying parts that aren't compatible with PSA's format. The lowers are DPMS spec (same with spikes) but some parts from standard AR-10's wont be compatible with the Spikes/PSA lowers. If you want all of the info i'd be glad to get it and PM it to you. Just trying to help!
I know that, the problem is, all the parts are from PSA. The issues are the barrels and the uppers.

#42 ·
I really want an ak, but I barely shoot my colt!

I just want something I won't have to clean... :lol:

#49 ·
Yes i do work in gun stores. I assemble AKs, i fix AKs, i'm back on track towards a manufacturers license. I already have an 01 and have been working with a 'smith over the past 5 years. Gave up the idea of an 07 and getting with 5 others to start a business. Mind you it isnt my regular job, but it soon will be. And what i know i have seen with my own eyes. Sorry that your shop doesn't see the business that the 4 i work at do.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.