Proper use of a boresnake?

Discussion in 'XD Gunsmithing and Maintenance' started by wicket1, Sep 3, 2010.

1. wicket1

wicket1 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have a boresnake for my wasr-10 and am fetching one for my xd.45.

How do you properly use one? I have hoppes 9 solvent and hoppes 9 lube. How would I get the solvent down the barrel to soak before using the bore snake, I obviously can't dip the entire snake in the solvent.

Also, do you just take it and pull it through, you don't have to do any certain twists/turns to use it efficiently?
    And around how many times should it be ran through.

Lastly, people always say to leave the inside of the barrell a wee bit wet with solvent or lube after the cleaning - which is it you should leave it damp with, the solvent or the lube?

2. Biggie313

Biggie313 XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I use the rem oil in a spray can. Spray it at the beginning of the thicker part where its fluffy, and and some on the brushes. Pull it through 3 times and you're done. clean /lubed barrel in less than 30 seconds. rem oil is solvent and lube

3. iCreek

iCreek XDTalk 4K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I use boresnakes a few different ways.. If home I have some aerosal gun cleaner that I spray down the barrel and let soak for 30 seconds or so, then pull the boresnake through as a bullet would travel through the barrel. I usually spay once, and then pull the boresnake through 3 or 4 times.

Sometimes for lighter cleaning, I put some hoppes cleaner on the boresnake where it first gets flat, both sides, and then pull it through 3 or 4 times.

4. wicket1

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I don't have any spray solvent, just the hoppes 9 liquid stuff, any idea of how I can get that stuff in the barrell to soak?

So your supposed to leave a bit of lube in the barrell after cleaning? or solvent..

5. Old4Eyes

Old4Eyes XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0
    I use a bore snake for doing quick cleaning at the range and honestly although I have them for 22 and 9mm/357 I really only use them on the .357 when switching from 38 special to 357, or from lead to jacketed bullets.

If you want that barrel to be clean, use cleaning rod, jags, brushes and cleaning pads.
    If you want to deliver a lot of solvent to the barrel to soak, use a mop.

6. wicket1

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    So a boresnake don't get the barrell clean really?
    I heard they worked really well.

7. Old4Eyes

Old4Eyes XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0
    It depends on what you want to call clean. It will scrub out the barrel ok, but you've still got carbon deposits in other areas of the gun. I assume you are shooting jacketed bullets and the copper deposits left behind are best attacked with a solvent specifically tasked for that, such as KG-12. The problem with that is that it will attack brass/bronze brushes, so I use the nylon brushes for that solvent, thus it would attack the brushes in the boresnake.

I think the boresnake is a very good product but it is not the end all, be all of cleaning.

An owner of a gun shop I frequent uses a boresnake exclusively to clean his Ruger MKIII pistol because they are a nightmare for him to take down. He'll pull off the grips and start flooding the rest of the gun with Gun Scrubber. I showed him how to pull down and re-assemble the pistol and he laughed saying he'll probably stick with the bore snake.

It is a smart product for a quickie, but for those long sensuous escapades, ya gotta strip down and and plunge in. Those detailed cleanings also affords me an opportunity to apologize to the guns, telling them it's not their fault I can't hit the broadside of a barn.

8. eb_311

eb_311 XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Oh they do. People just use them wrong. Bend the snake in half just after the brushes. Dip it into a screw off type bottle of #9. Now there is at least 3 inches of soaked bore snake. Pull it through once. Since it saturated with #9 the excess amount will kind of ring itself out as you pull it through leaving behind a nice coat of solvent. Let that sit a few minutes an then repeat. If it's really bad, push a wire brush through by itself in between steps. This method works well for me. If you want to oil when your done just put a little on the very end of the bore snake so it's the last thing through the barrel.

[​IMG]

9. Ox1

Ox1 XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    ^1
    That's what I do.

10. mikeybigb

mikeybigb XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    ..+1

11. carhartt

carhartt XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0
    If you decide that you like the bore snake concept but want to use a patch, you might also look at the otis cleaning kits. They are pull-through patches and brushes that seem to work really well.

Otis Technology

12. wesw

wesw XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    +100. A bore snake is meant for quick range or field cleaning. A good bush and patches will ALWAYS get the barrel cleaner. Think about it, every time you run the bore snake through you barrel, you're running the same junk on the snake through every time. Other than that, the bore snake doesn't have as much friction to remove tough grime, and doesn't really get into the crevices deep in the throat very well. Brush and patches!!!!

13. Biggie313

Biggie313 XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    not true. the snake cleans my 12 ga just as good as batch and brush. You are suposed to wash the snake in a sock through the washer after about 3 cleans. Its just as good, faster, cleaner, and makes less waste. win all the way around. Anyone who says it doesn't clean as good does not know how to properly use them

14. Zfields

Zfields XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I usually use a mob first, get the barrel good and wet, let it soak a couple minutes then run the snake through.

Honestly though, I usually just use the snake at the range for the most part, when I do a full clean at home ill use patch and rod.

15. insatiable ONE

insatiable ONE XDTalk 4K Member

Ratings:
    +53 / 1
    :confused: I don't understand alot of the techniques talked about here.

why make things difficult?

the reason to use a bore snake is to eliminate using a patch & jag.

so being that said...
    take your brush that is screwed on your cleaning rod & dip the brush in your Hoppe's.... scrub barrel, from chambered end, don't forget to scrub the hood, while at it do the breach face too

drop the brass end of boresnake through chambered side & pull through.... repeat this step 3-4 times

I do not oil my barrels (on the inside) unless they are going to sit. & never oil my carry gun's barrel ( on the inside that is ) ... ever

then put a light film of grease, or slide glide on the OUTSIDE of the barrel.
    after shooting wipe off with towel, makes for simple cleaning prior to above steps

when your borsnake gets too dirty, wash it with some mild soap & let hang dry.