Proper Cleaning

Discussion in 'XD Gunsmithing and Maintenance' started by 9mmxdm, Dec 4, 2009.

1. 9mmxdm

9mmxdm XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I just put the first 100 round through my XDm9 yesterday morning! Felt great.

Now comes the task of cleaning the gun properly.

1. Is the included brush too big? It looks huge.

2. What gun cleaning kit is best. I am not looking for cheapest but I am not looking to spend more then $50 if possible.

3. What kind of oil, Brand of oil is best to use?

I watched the Letham (I think that's how you spell it) video on how to disassemble and clean and reassemble the XDm. I couldn't enlarge the video any so it was a little hard to see where he was saying to put the oil on the barrel.

I know wherever metal touches metal, etc... Could someone please explain in detail or even better with pictures where to oil? Also how much oil do you need to use. Is it like a dot of it and smeared around?

2. golfguru2

golfguru2 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Get a Bore Snake for the barrel. Use q-tips for the rest of it. Get some Rem-Oil for lube and something like Break-free for cleaning.

Don't use a lot of oil. Just a light coating.

3. 9mmxdm

9mmxdm XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks...

Where all do you place the oil? Just on the barrel or elsewhere too?

4. eb_311

eb_311 XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    1. From what this forum has taught me, the supplied brush is for cleaning the magazine and inside the grip.

2. I've had like 5 cleaning kits in my life and the only things I use are a bore snake, cotton swabs, Hopes #9, and some Hopes oil. I will be trying CLP next.

3. Hopes or CLP.

5. eb_311

eb_311 XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    I do the barrel and the slide rails. I also leave a thin coat of oil on the outside of the slide. Other than that your good to go. SA says never oil the striker and spring because it will just create a place for powder to build up and make your pistol not function. I usually oil them up anyway and use the shop compressor to blow the excess away. It gets the rest of the junk you couldn't get to out too.

6. 9mmxdm

9mmxdm XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I just watched the Bullet Boy XDm40 cleaning on Youtube and it looks pretty straight forward.

Would anyone recommend not doing it like he did? If so, why? Also what would you do instead?

Thanks

I know I am asking a lot of questions, but I am new to owning a handgun and new to cleaning guns period. My father always used to clean the guns so I never got the chance to.

Thanks guys.

7. 9mmxdm

9mmxdm XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm feeling a little more confident on cleaning my pistol after seeing another gun cleaning tutorial on Youtube with an XDm.

This time the guy just used Ed's Red or something like that to clean and lube his gun with.

8. twice barrel

twice barrel XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Lots of folks use Ed's Red (do a google) to clean and then a 50/50 mix of kerosene & ATF as their gun oil.

I'm moving to those myself,

TB

9. robot

robot XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The included brush is for your magazines, don't use it in your barrel :)

here's a good series of videos about cleaning your XDm.

Disassembly : [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7EojXTzZW0]YouTube - XDm Disassembly[/ame]
    Cleaning the Barrel : [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALOBOP0Pe7I]YouTube - Cleaning XDm barrel with Otis Tactical[/ame][ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALOBOP0Pe7I"][/ame]
    Cleaning Part 2 : [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCKqpBBVRDs[/ame]
    Cleaning Part 3 : [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIjQDXxNPTg]YouTube - Cleaning the XDm Part 3[/ame]

10. 9mmxdm

9mmxdm XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Interesting the guy in the one video uses that provided brush in his barrel... Also this is the second one I watched earlier today. Thanks though for linking us all to it.

11. 9mmxdm

9mmxdm XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I called Springfield Armory and asked them what they use and they told me!

- Shooters Choice (Bore Cleaner)

- DSX Oil (Summer) , Fire Power Oil (Winter)

- Also suggested the OTIS Pro Pistol Cleaning Kit. Which they currently have a sale on.

Your guys thoughts?

*Also stated the provided brush is for the barrel.

12. apexhunter

apexhunter XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks 9mm for beating me to the punch and reinforcing the fact that the brush included with every XD and XDM is in fact a BORE BRUSH. It is larger than the bore so it will clean it. Mag well brushes are typically tear drop shaped so they will fill the entire mag well and/or inside a mag with the follower and spring removed.

13. 9mmxdm

9mmxdm XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    HAHA, no problem. Just trying to get the right info so I don't go and spend a crap load of more money then I need to. Plus get the right info to have the right info. It helps everyone.

14. sloopy70

sloopy70 XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Also remember that your cleaning habits aren't NEAR as important as you imagine when you first get your xd... she can go THOUSANDS of rounds without a cleaning and run perfectly fine just kee a little oil on her and have fun :) I'm at 25,000 rounds with ZERO failures of any kind, I shoot competitively in USPSA and on a sand range at that... I give it a light cleaning about every 4 or 5 matches... or 3 months maybe... Just use some common sense and you'll be fine... You don't have to obsess over it, but some people enjoy that :)

15. 9mmxdm

9mmxdm XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yeah I mean I am not going to be putting you know 5k rounds through it per year. I doubt I'll even hit 2k rounds a year. Maybe the first year.

I wont baby it with cleaning... But I think you know after shooting it for a couple months clean it shoot a couple more months clean it...

Clean it maybe like 4-5 times a year. Sound good, fair, decent? Too much?