Problem with XD magazines

Discussion in 'General SA-XD/XD(M) Talk' started by NevadaAllStar, Mar 21, 2009.

1. NevadaAllStar

NevadaAllStar XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have an XD-45 ACP that I have had for about two years and shot several hundred rounds through with no issues, but recently when I attempt to change out mags they get stuck in the well. I never had this problem until about three four months ago and it doesnt seem to matter weather conditions (hot vs. cold)/fully loaded mag/empty mag/etc. Any one else having this issue?

2. Spawnz

Spawnz XDTalk 1K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0
    I have seen this posted before and others have had this problem. I can't remember what the cause was offhand, but I believe it had to do with the top rear of the magazine getting bent backwards and hanging up in the magwell. Look at your magazines and see if they are bent backwards somewhat in the area I mentioned. I believe it can be corrected by using a pair of pliers and bending it straight. If they are really bad, contact Springfield and I am sure they will take care of the problem. They have great customer service.

I am sure someone will be along to give you better advice.

3. eb_311

eb_311 XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Everything you need to know is here
    http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/xd-45acp-discussion-room/93260-empty-mags-no-longer-drop-free.html
    or
    http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/xd-45acp-discussion-room/110561-springfield-logo-mags.html

At first they told me that I should just buy the new ones, but when I told her I just got my pistol back from their shop and spent $400 she reconsidered. If you try to call them make sure you tell them that you have only shot a few hundred rounds. Good Luck. If your a cop they will do it no problem and send you black if you want.

4. Dirty Rod

Dirty Rod XDTalk 3K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    The mags tend to bend at the top as stated in the threads but there is an even faster solution. Lay the mags on a flat surface with the front of the mag facing up and push down slightly on the top of the mag to flatten out the bump in the back. Even better if you use something flat when pressing on the front but don't use so much pressure that it bows the sides. Took about two minutes to fix all 8 of my mags.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2009
  5. NevadaAllStar

Ratings:
    +0 / 0

Thanks for all the quick replies, I'll try all the recommendations. I am a police officer and have never heard of the black mags before but have always wanted to get some for obvious safety reasons working mostly at night. Do you have a contact number I can call or is it simply the Springfield customer service center?

6. eb_311

eb_311 XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    1-800-680-6866
    Ask for Lexi. She handles all L.E.O.

• Like Like x 2
  7. NevadaAllStar

Ratings:
    +0 / 0

Thank you.

8. IamCPTSpalding

IamCPTSpalding XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    You guys are good. It's why I really enjoy this forum.

9. REDTAIL

REDTAIL XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    what about non LEO who do you reccommend that we talk to over at springfield ?

10. jonathanvictory

jonathanvictory XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Hmmm, got a brand new XD40 Service. Only put 150 rounds through it with 180gr of Blazer Brass. Both of my range mags get stuck trying to drop when I hit the mag release. I noticed while locking the slide that the mags rub against the "magazine catch". I didn't know about the back of the mags bending, so i'll have to check that later tonight.

I did call Springfield and they were surprised when I said it's happening to my XD40. They were nice enough to ship me free mags, but I offered to send mine back if the free ones work. I know it would be nice to have 4 mags, but I want them to look at it so that another XD40 user won't have the same issue and so the issue is recognized by Springfield.

11. TDSUS

TDSUS XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    have the same problem - good to know Im not alone or loosing my mind:roll:

12. jonathanvictory

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    oh really! ok, yea...then im not crazy too.

so, your mags are rubbing against the magazine catch too? im gonna see if the back is bent and pushing it forward into magazine catch.

13. TDSUS

TDSUS XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Well not real sure if their rubbing against the catch but they sure dont drop free when I hit that button. Ill be checking flat and such tomorrow

14. jonathanvictory

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    errr, its best to not bother with it. just call springfield to replace your mags. i did as others have suggested and try to straighten the mag yourself. well, i did as they stated and with the mags EMPTY they drop like butter, but as soon as i put a round in the mag it becomes difficult to release.

on an even worse note, if i put 10 rounds in (im in kali :neutral:)the mag wont push all the way up or lock on the catch. but for some reason i can have 10 in the mag and with the slide locked back, the mag fully loaded will lock on the catch. whats going on?

this is sad...ive only put 150 rounds through her.

15. Mindful

Mindful XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I am new to the forum but would mention that I have an XD40SC and noticed that empty mags wouldn't drop, only dropping approximately to the level of the release catch in the magwell, then requiring a pull. Both my stock mags felt "tight and sticky" this way. I recalled that I had been using some cheap, jacketed flat-nose rounds at the range--won't mention the manufacturer. I am not recommending this but I placed the mags flat on my workbench with the back of the mag down and tapped them firmly up and down the front side of the mag with a hard plastic (not rubber) mallet. They now drop freely and feed perfectly with no failures both firing and hand-cycling. When all else fails, brute force prevails. Again, I don't recommend that you pound on your firearms components but I did and it worked. It is also my understanding that Springfield is aware of some mag warping or bulging and has been known to replace mags FOC.