Problem with Steelcase Desk Lock

Discussion in 'XDTalk Chatter Box' started by Spammy_H, Mar 9, 2009.

1. Spammy_H

Spammy_H XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    So I bought a Steelcase desk on craigslist for $5. The guy didn't have the key to the desk. I found the right key at cubiclekeys.com - lock type "XF" lock # '1234'. Keys are $7 each, free shipping. I buy 2.

I get the keys, they won't go in the lock at all. Spray some liquid graphite in the lock, now I can get the keys in, but they won't turn. Then I get smart - spray some Breakfree CLP in the lock (gun cleaner fixes everything, right?), run the key back and forth several times, the key still won't turn.

I don't want to drop a lot of $ into the desk - I bought it for my shop to do reloading (I wanted a locking desk so I could lock up the powder & primers to keep my small children away from the stuff).

Any ideas on how to get this lock operational?

Thanks for all of your help.

2. StarbaseSSD

StarbaseSSD XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Office Max, Home Depot, et al, pop the lock, get new lock, Profit!

3. scooter123

scooter123 XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0
    Look up a locksmith in the yellow pages and get a new lock cylinder. Once you have that, drill the old lock out and replace it. BTW, start with about a 1/4 inch hole dead center then step up in size until your at the hole size for the new lock. You may need to purchase a set of Silver and Demming bits to get big enough for that, in which case it would probably be cheaper to pay the locksmith to do the work.

One other option would be to take a cut-off grinder and cut the lock flush with the surface of the metal it's mounted in. At that point you can just tap it out of the hole. The only problem with grinding it off is that you'll probably have to do some re-painting if you want it to look pretty.

4. tec

tec XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +64 / 0
    Two paper clips will get most desk locks open. One is for tension, the other is to "excite" the wafers into the right position.

5. Deadcenter

Deadcenter XDTalk 3K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +52 / 0
  6. grahamstein

grahamstein XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    +1

I have done this several times, its easier than you might think, just dont apply too much tension or getting that last wafer to pop can be a real pain.

7. disord3r

disord3r XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    If you can find a replacement cylinder with matching key made for this desk, it's a two-minute job to insert the new cylinder. You'd just need to find a way to get the old cylinder out, and if you have power tools, I'm sure you can manage it without damaging the housing for the cylinder.

Better than paying a smith to pick and re-key the existing cylinder. Plus, you'd have a brand new cylinder.

8. tec

tec XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +64 / 0
    Guys,
    Really,
    It's a 5 dollars lock we're talking about. either drill it, or use two paper clips on it.
    I am a locksmith,
    really, two paperclips will open it. then remove the tension clip, drive to your local hardware store, walk down the aisle with door locks in it, goto the replacement door parts section (about halfway down the aisle) and buy a new one.

9. Spammy_H

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Everybody,

Thanks for the advice. I don't think that I stated my problem clearly. The drawer is not locked. I got the desk without a key. I ordered the key online, but it doesn't work.

Let's assume the lock doesn't work. If I want to replace it, how do I remove the cylinder without damaging the link to the stuff that "locks" the drawer shut?

Next, if I want to replace the cylinder and make sure that the new cylinder actually works the \drawer's locking mechanism, do I need to get a Steelcase cylinder, or will any old office drawer lock / file cabinet lock cylinder do the job?

Thanks again for the help.

10. lazy42

lazy42 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Call Steelcase, order a new core and core removal key. Core removal key will allow you to take old core out, then put the new key core in and use with newly supplied keys (keys should come with the new core).

11. Spammy_H

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Emailed the guy who sold me the keys, and he's sending another one. If that doesn't work, he's going to refund my money, at which point I'm going to buy the master/removal key and a new cylinder.

Thanks again for all the advice. I appreciate it. I really enjoy this forum for all things firearms related & not. There are some smart people here.