Problem with Ruger SR22p

Discussion in 'Non-XD Handguns' started by XDguru, Feb 4, 2012.

1. XDguru

XDguru XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    So I took the Ruger SR22p out and about 20 rounds in the take down lever comes loose and the slide lifts up and locks back. I adjust the slide and secure the take down lever, about 25 more rounds half way through the third mag the slide completely comes off the gun and the spring and slide launch about 4 feet :evil:. I am like wtf! So I cleaned and dried the gun real good as I am wondering if I had oiled to much and the take down lever have oil around it. So I run about 3 more mags having to slightly push in the take down lever (not as much each time). After about 3 mags I was able to run about 5 more mags with fire as fast as the ranged allowed and did not have to tighten it at all. So the last 5 mags were smooth and the gun handled very nicely. The sights were off as it was shooting high and left. After adjusting the sights down and to the right along with dealing with the take down latch issue I was getting good groups at 7 yards. The Ruger feels great in the hands and the trigger is decent if you give it minimal reset.

I am just feeling disappointed in the experience that I had with this Ruger :( It was embarrassing to say the least and I expected more out of this firearm. I will make sure the lever is clean and dry and I hope the issue does not continue or Ruger will be hearing from me. Anyways what do you guys think? Would an oily lever cause it to detach?

2. Kaboom

Kaboom XDTalk 10K Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0
    Did you take it apart and clean it before you shot? If so are you SURE you got it back together properly?
    I wouldn't be interested in a gun that shook itself apart for any reason, contact Ruger.

3. XDguru

XDguru XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    Yes I cleaned it and made sure it was put together tightly. I just wonder if I oiled it to much but still no excuse and completely unacceptable. The last 5 mags were fine so I will give it another go hopefully tomorrow.

4. Kaboom

Kaboom XDTalk 10K Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0
    It's a new model, I'm pretty sure Ruger would want to hear about that.

5. Jagrmaister

Jagrmaister XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Sounds like a new one to me. I'm going to be testing the SR22P today, so hopefully no said issues. Heard nothing but glowing reviews so far besides the few with the barrel issues which I'm assuming Ruger has worked out the kinks. Shall find out soon enough...

For you, I'd just run her again and see what happens. If your last 5 had no issue, then it may have been too wet but still shouldn't be coming loose. I don't think these need a whole lot of oil, the manual expresses minimal.

6. Kaboom

Kaboom XDTalk 10K Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0
    It's a gun, you should be able to soak it in oil for a week and not have it come apart on it's own. This isn't an FTF or FTE, it's a self destruction lol.

7. APDturbo

APDturbo XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    sounds like a dangerous situation, i'd contact ruger

8. XDguru

XDguru XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    Yeah, took it out again and the take down lever begins to come loose after about 3 mags. Contacting Ruger and I will keep you posted.

9. Kaboom

Kaboom XDTalk 10K Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0
    Thanks because this really does look like a sweet pistol.

10. jd manila

jd manila XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    @XD guru

Hi,sorry about that, but may i ask what do you think of it,just a lemon or something inherent with the design, i mean the placement of that takedown lever? Hope you share some thoughts on this coz' i'm eagerly awaiting for this one to hit our local GS.TIA

11. stevieachi

stevieachi XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    If I remember correctly I thought the take down lever seemed a bit odd...isn't it 1 piece also part of the frame? Maybe it's just a detent that isn't locking all the way tight when you snap it closed?

12. XDguru

XDguru XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0

I am hoping it is just a lemon as others have not had this problem. I do however see a faulty design in a way. Let me see if I can explain this right. The latch has a metal ball that pushes in when it latches and pops out when you open it it. The problem I see is that when you close the take down latch the wall that the latch closes on is a flat metal wall. So it seems to easy to open whereas if there was a small groove for the ball to "fall into'' just slightly I think this would not be a problem. I have to call Ruger back today with my serial number and I will be shipping it back soon.

13. Jagrmaister

Jagrmaister XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I think you just have a flawed one. Mine has no such issues. I've taken it apart 3x. Shot somewhere around 300 rounds through it, and was never an issue. Only issue was a ton of FTF's due to a really crummy pack of underpowered Federal. CCI's had no such issue, and all fed fine.

14. XDguru

XDguru XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    So I ran a box of 550 federals and only had 2 FTFs which I think is awesome for .22

But yes has to be a faulty gun as every 3rd 10round mag I was having to push the latch back in :cry: I am very bummed I am having to send this back. I want to shoot again this weekend

15. XDguru

XDguru XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    Talked to Maggie at Ruger and they were very nice about it. They are supposed to be emailing me a return label but I have not received it yet. Seems others have not had this problem so I am hoping it is a one off.