Springfield XD Forum banner

Price of RSA for XDS 45?

4K views 35 replies 11 participants last post by  Buff1968 
#1 ·
Why is the price for a recoil spring assembly for an XDS 45 (and XDS 9) so high? $38 seems like a lot when compared to a Glock RSA ($12). Both RSAs seem almost identical in construction, except the Glock doesn't wear like the XDS seems to. I ordered a new RSA for my XDS 45 with 300 rds. through it from xdgunparts.com for a back up part as mine is chewed up like everyone else's appears to be. Just want to make sure my shooter is not out of commission if the RSA goes south.

#4 ·
Springfield apparently has told some owners that this wear is normal and will reach a point where it doesn't wear anymore. Don't know if this is correct or not though. Seems to be noticeable in most guns after 100-200 rounds or so. Many have said that the wear is nothing to worry about and have a couple thousand rounds or more through their guns and they still function fine. I have 300 rounds through mine and it doesn't seem to be any worse than after the first hundred rounds. I just wanted to have a spare on hand in case the worst happens. I also have spares for my Glocks. That's how I know the Glock RSAs are only $12.

#6 ·
If you have an actual issue with your XDS, Springfield Armory will fix it. If it's just some finish wear, then probably not. Without pictures it's impossible to tell.

The XDS .45acp packs a lot of power into a very small package, it won't stay pristine forever. I'm sure you know that.

If your recoil spring or rod is wearing out unusually fast then SA will hook you up...

#8 ·
Don't see any unusual wear
It is the other end of the assembly that shows the wear that has been discussed in these forums in the past.

#16 ·
If you are the original owner what do you care how much it costs ...... Springfield will replace it for free, well, you will have to pay the postage I imagine.

If you are not the original owner, it's a used pistol and you get what you get.

#17 ·
I am the original owner. Not trying to start a urinating contest with anyone, just wondering why they are so expensive. I paid for one because I wanted one on hand "just in case" or when needing replaced from use. SA will not send you one just to have a spare. I have spares for all of my Glocks also. If one breaks I can be back in action in a couple of minutes and not have to wait 3 or 4 days for an order to arrive. My original question is why are they so higher priced than Glock when they appear to be relatively equivalent. No offense meant.

#18 ·
No offense taken.

A BMW and a Mercedes are not the same price either. They are similar in what they do, but not the same price.

If you want a spare, I am sure Springfield would sell you one, ..... BMW and Mercedes would.

#20 ·
Put it back in the gun and just shoot it. Stop worrying about it until something starts to bend. The forces involved with that little pistol torque and turn the guide rod as it sets in the gun. That rub is what you are seeing. A new guide rod will get the same wear, so live with it or sell the gun if it bothers you that much.

#21 ·
I never said anything about the wear bothering me. I only asked a question about why they are more expensive than other brands. Don't know how everyone got of the beaten path about the wear. And yes a Beamer and a Mercedes are different but similar. I think if you'll check the price of parts for both, they will be similarly priced - both $$$$$. Like I said, I was not looking to start pissing contest, just asked a simple question for which there may not be a good reason other than "because they are". Stay safe friend. Any way, thanks for your input.

#23 ·
Someone in another thread said if you call Springfield customer service they will sell you one. I think they are about $39. Not sure about shipping charges. I bought mine from xdgunparts.com. Should be receiving it in a couple of days. It was $42 and change with shipping.

#26 ·
Well I purchased a spare for my Walther PPX. It is a single spring with a plastic rod. It was $24 plus shipping. The xds dual spring all steel rod for $38 doesn't sound so bad after that. Now I also have a Canik TP9SF. I called century arms to buy a spare recoil spring. They wouldn't sell it to me. They said it was a warranty item only.

#27 ·
Well that's good to know. $24 isn't all that bad I guess. I also have a PPX that I may want to pick up an extra RSA for one of these days. Also sucks that Century won't sell you a spare spring. Do you have to send your gun to them for warranty work if the spring breaks? That's why I purchased spares for my XDS and Glocks.

#34 ·
My apologies to all for repeating myself if you were offended. I am new to this forum and didn't realize some folks were so sensitive to repeat questions looking for others opinions. Won't make the mistake of posting here again. One final comment from me on this thread, last time I checked, we are not in Great Britain even though our language, at least it was until recently it seems, is the English language, there are nuances scattered throughout. Good catch though Cuda. My hat's off to you on the language issue, not so much on your snarky reply. But hey, hope you have a pleasant day. Civility goes a lot farther than nastiness.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.