Price Check Ruger P85

Discussion in 'Non-XD Handguns' started by xd40xd, Mar 6, 2007.

1. xd40xd

xd40xd XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    price check on a Ruger P85 - fired a couple of times. excellent condition

2. The Knight Of Light

The Knight Of Light XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    Is it Stainless steel? Does it have the marking MKIIR on it? Also does it have the case and extra magazine?

3. xd40xd

xd40xd XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0

no markings ? no case, no exta magazines

not stainless steel

4. The Knight Of Light

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    From the Blue book of gun values.

P85 9mm
    100% 98% 95%
    $350 $295 $265

Subtract $30 if without case and extra magazine.
    Any P85 models without the "MKIIR" stamp must be returned to the factory for a free safety modification.

I say put a price of 345 on the gun and it should sell.

5. xd40xd

xd40xd XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0

can you tell that i am a little new to handguns?

what safety modification do they do to it?

6. The Knight Of Light

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    I am not sure the book doesn't say, but I would think it has something to do with the decocking system. You might want to give Ruger a call and see what they have to say on the subject.

7. Brickboy240

Brickboy240 XDTalk 25K Member

Ratings:
    +468 / 5
    I used to own one of those.

If you're new to handguns, I can tell you, there ARE better choices for the same or less money. Guns that are higher quality and feel better in the hand.

I'd really suggest looking around before buying the Ruger P-85. I, too bought one when I knew little about pistols. Now, I'd never trade of of my more worthy 9mms for the big, ugly, blocky Ruger P-85.

Ruger has the single action revolver and 22 semi-auto pistols down really well, but their cneterfire autos leave alot to be desired, if you ask me.

Handle an XD-9, FNP-9, CZ-75 or Beretta 92 and you'll probably forget all about the P-85 Ruger. A used SIG P226 is also not alot more money, but is ALOT more gun.

- Brickboy240

8. xd40xd

xd40xd XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I would not buy one either, but my dad has one that I got out of the closet when I went back home this weekend - and I didnt know what they brought to the table

I am waiting on my XD Subcompact 40

9. snolden

snolden XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    picked up a p85 for a friend of mine (he bought it and took possession of it, i just found it) for 250 in good condition just yesterday.

You can get a taurus for the same price and as said above the berettas, xd's and glocks can be had used for around 100 dollars more.

just picked up glock 9mm in excellent condition for 420 a few days ago in a pawn shop.

just like any other large purchase, shop around. you wouldn't buy a car without shopping around would you?

10. crankin

crankin XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have had a P85 for several years and thnk it is a great pistol. have never had any problems with it and never malfunctions no matter what type of ammo you run through. It is a little hard to carry concealed due to the size, plus has some sharp edges for a combat pistol.

Kept loaded and in the house mostly. Carry XD now due to size and ease of operation.

11. snertley

snertley XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Don't be too harsh on the old P-85, it is a good gun in its own right. I've had one for 18yrs. Im sure I have 20+k rounds down the pipe of it. Granted the trigger is heavy but it is quite accurate and reliable. The MKII roll mark on the safety was part of a recall back in 1989 or 1990. They changed something with the firing pin and the decocker. Works great. Though I wouldn't pay much over $300 for it.

12. Brickboy240

Brickboy240 XDTalk 25K Member

Ratings:
    +468 / 5
    For about what you'd pay for a used P-85 Ruger, you could get a nice used PT92 Taurus that looks better and feels better in the hand. Yeah, its a big pistol too, but at least the mags are cheap and easy to find and it fits any Beretta 92 holster. Lifetime warranty, too. I have seen PT92s selling for as low as 230 bucks (they looked very good, too) thats a steal for a pistol with a very good track record.

I have also seen police trade in Glock 17s and 22s and Smith & Wesson 9mm autos for almost the same price. Move up another 50 bucks and the SIG P225/P6s are available. Yes, within 100 more dollars lie pistols with MUCH better quality and feel.

Yep...look around. The key to good shooting pistols is to have one that feels really good in the hand. The P-85 might feel good, but if you try out the others...I doubt you'll pick the P85 Ruger.

- Brickboy240

PS: I dare you to pick up a SIG P226 or Hi-Power...you'll probably want one of those, save your pennies and skip the lower end guns altogether.

13. BoomerBSG

BoomerBSG XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0
  14. The Knight Of Light

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    Ruger autos are built like tanks. Comparing them to the Shmegma series from S&W is like comparing a Yugo with a Crown Vic. The Vic will shred the Yugo into tin foil. Granted the Crown vic may not win any races but it will still get the job done.

Same is true for the P85. Those things will just keep running and I have found most Ruger autos to be very accurate pistols.

15. BoomerBSG

BoomerBSG XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0
    dont get me wrong, i like rugers. but keep in mind i was weighing in a purchase decision between the XD, the Sigma, and the Ruger.. the sigma and ruger cant hold a candle to my XD, thus the comparison.

cheers