Price Check: Colt Series 80 MK IV - gently used

Discussion in 'M1911' started by jmichna, Oct 15, 2008.

1. jmichna

jmichna XDTalk 25K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +618 / 19
    My local GS has a gently used Colt Series 80 MK IV blue finish .45ACP with 3-dot sight (not hi-viz... just white dot), original checkered wooden grip with Colt medallion, one magazine. Nice trigger pull... not at all heavy. Barrel bore looks to be in very good shape: clean, not hint of rust or pitting. Gun does not look abused but has been used. Probably not a daily duty weapon.

Price tag says $749... I can dicker them down to $649.

What say you?

2. Cannibul

Cannibul XDTalk 5K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +48 / 0
    $649 In a heartbeat.

3. Brickboy240

Brickboy240 XDTalk 25K Member

Ratings:
    +363 / 4
    Oh yes! 650 bucks for a nicely used Series 80 Colt (Govt Model...I am guessing...right?) - yep, I'd be buying that in a minute. Very nice gun you're looking at.

In fact, if I had come across that kind of deal, I don't think I would have bought the Kimber TLE II (even though I like it).

Buy it, shoot it, enjoy it and hang onto it. It will only go up in value...its a Colt!

- Brickboy240

4. mvician

mvician XDTalk 5K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +62 / 0
    buy it :cool:

5. jmichna

Ratings:
    +618 / 19
    Update:
    Over lunch today, I went back to my local GS and found I made a mistake, and was confusing two different Series 80 Colts I had been looking at.

The wooden-gripped gun had the plain military-style iron sights, while a second Colt, with Colt rubber grips (with Colt medallion) had the three white-dot sights, which I prefer over the stock plain iron sights.

Long story short, talking over my options with one of the senior GS salesmen, he quoted me a price of $600 for the rubber-gripped Colt. Same very good shape... a little finish wear on the corners, but the bore is in excellent condition and the action is smooth, good trigger pull.

Thinking things over for a second or two... Colt Series 80 MK IV Government Model, blue finish, enhanced sights, original Colt rubber grips (in good shape), one Colt magazine, but no bushing removal tool ( :cry: )... I said "Sold!" and put down $100. I figure I can replace the grips with Colt wooden grips for about $40, and my Taurus' bushing removal tool should work on the Colt as well.

In IL have to wait 72 hours, and the GS is closed Mondays, so I'll pay the balance and pick it up next Tuesday. In the immortal words of Homer J. Simpson: Woo Hoo! My Taurus PT1911 now has a fraternal twin :mrgreen: !!!

6. Kyle_sheriff4984

Kyle_sheriff4984 XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I've had one for 5 years... brilliant gun... got it in a sweet deal for about 600... will NEVER never NEVER sell it....

i'd tell anyone to grab one if the get the chance

7. jmichna

Ratings:
    +618 / 19
    Kyle,
    Thanks for the response and welcome to XDTalk. I did buy that Colt and have enjoyed it for over a year now. You might notice you resurrected a thread that had been buried for some time (over a year), so don't be surprised if you get some comment regarding a "zombie thread." ;)

Here she is, with new Colt grips:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 13, 2009
  8. Brickboy240

Ratings:
    +363 / 4
    Good buy!

Now, if you want real checkered walnut grips with the Colt emblems...call CDNN and for about 25-30 bucks, they'll send you a pair of factory Colt grips.

Welcome to the fold....you'll love shooting the original article.

- brickboy240

9. Omegaclass

Omegaclass XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    i have a Colt MK IV series 80, i think i bought it 18 years ago and it's never jammed once. i paid 400 dollars for it. i wonder whats it worth today, but i plan to keep it till the government takes it out of my cold dead hands, lol anyway i was so poor about 8 years ago and sold all my guns, but didn't sell that one.

10. Brickboy240

Ratings:
    +363 / 4
    Thats a really sweet looking Colt!

I love the old school Colts like that....they're classics and will always fetch a good price, if you ever sell it. Chances are...after you shoot it...you will NOT sell it. I know my two Colts are the LAST PISTOLS I would ever sell.

The model you show is one of the "enhanced" versions from the early to mid 90s. The enhanced features were the flat top slide, skeletonized hammer, beavertail safety and the slanted slide serrations. Some came with ugly wrap around black rubber grips with the Colt ponies but yours has the nicer cocobolo checkered grips. I have those same grips on my Combat Commander and they look really classy on the bright guns.

Enjoy it....man...if I ever came across one like that at that price...it would be coming home with me in a second.

- brickboy240

PS: also...don't let anyone tell you that you cannot get as good of a trigger pull on a Series 80 Colt as you can a Series 70. A good smith can make the Series 80 Colt have a great trigger pull that you will love.

11. jmichna

Ratings:
    +618 / 19
    BB240,
    You have a very sharp eye, my friend.

That Mk IV was manufactured in 1993, and the trigger pull is pretty darn good as is... ;) It did come with the wrap-around rubber grips but one of the first things I did was replace them with the medallioned cocobolo wood that you see... just adds "class" to a fine hand gun, and feels great in hand to boot!

And you are right... this would be one of the last hand guns I would sell, if it ever came down to selling out of financial desperation. :cry:

12. Brickboy240

Ratings:
    +363 / 4
    Yep...I have two older Colts and have owned many Colt 1911s over the years. Like Mausers....you could say I have a "thang" for the classic Colt 1911.

I grew up, shooting Dad's issue M1911A1. Dad was an MP and carried one every day in that white flap holster and we got to shoot it on the weekends. There is just something familiar about the basic 1911 for me...ant it always will be comforting.

Those enhanced models were phased out in the mid to late 90s, so they might become collectibles later on. I know my satin nickle Combat Commander was nothing special when it was made but these days, collectors pay more for a Combat Commander that is stain nickle, because they did not make them for many years.

If you can stand it, I'd try to keep it as original as possible. At least don't do anything that is permanent. Maybe slick up the internals to give it a better trigger pull and call it good.

You'll probably be amazed at how well it shoots. A good Colt like that is usually very accurate. I know my two Colts are very accurate. A very well made pistol, too with no MIM parts...old school quality.

Don't be surprised if they multiply and you find it hard to buy other 1911s later on. Besides my two Colts, I have a Springer Gi and Kimber TLE but truth be known....there is a sweet stainless Colt Series 70 repro in a shop nearby and I am trying to find a reason NOT to trade my TLE for it! Its a disease...I tell you! LOL

- brickboy240

13. jmichna

Ratings:
    +618 / 19
    Oh, I know about their reproducing!!!!

At the moment I have:
    - the aforementioned Colt Mk IV Series 80 (mfg 1993)
    - Colt Commander LW (mfg 1981)
    - Dan Wesson Pointman 7 (recent manufacture)
    - Taurus PT1911AR SS (recent manufacture)
    And the prize of this small collection:
    - An Ithaca M1911A1 all original/all matching (mfg 1943) about 90% and in great operating shape.

[​IMG]

14. VietVet68

VietVet68 XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    That's a great gun, I suddenly find I'm drooling!

15. Brickboy240

Ratings:
    +363 / 4
    No kidding!

The decision to buy that Series 80 Colt at 600 bucks would take me MAYBE 5 seconds on a bad day. Just long enough to get the wallet out and hand them my drivers license for the BATF form! LOL

Man...where ARE those deals when I am looking? A Colt 1911 at that price has a shelf life of about 5 minutes in this area.....seriously!

- brickboy240