Press-Check Failure to Return to Battery Fix

Discussion in 'XD-S Discussion Room' started by ChillyB, Nov 26, 2013.

1. ChillyB

ChillyB XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Guys,

Like a lot of XDs mine did not return to battery after a press-check. I found a youtube video where a guy found what he thinks is the problem: that shallow groove on opposite side of the slide from the extractor. Not exactly sure of the function but I suspect it has something to do with repeatedly locating the spent shell in front of the ejector. This groove is also the reason why it's difficult to draw the slide rearward for the last 1/4" or so (the rim is captured in that shallow groove, the ejector pops it out).

I scratched at the groove with a finishing nail and the surface finish is VERY coarse, probably because it's so difficult to reach with the cutter when it was milled. Probably using a long skinny tool to reach in from the front of the slide, which makes for a fairly flexible tool (bad for achieving a quality surface finish) Anyhow, this groove can benefit from being smoothed out but it's a bugger to reach with a dremel and felt wheel. I've been scraping it with that same finishing nail and it has smoothed up considerably. I can now press-check with muzzle down and it will return to battery. With muzzle up the weight of the slide is just enough to prevent the spring from overcoming the friction but I'm confident I'll get it smooth enough. A finishing nail is soft steel and that groove is alloy steel treated to high 50's Rockwell with salt bath nitriding. Hardly a fair fight but it's making a difference slowly and surely.

For the final step I'll have to try to rig up a long tool holder for a Dremel felt wheel to polish up the groove with some lapping compound or polishing compound. I think I can probably epoxy a Dremel felt wheel mandrel to a length of brake tubing so I can feed it in from the front of the slide. If I can't polish it no big deal, pretty confident that rubbing the groove with a nail will resolve the issue.

Alternately one can polish it with the rim of several hundred dollars worth of 45 ACP.

ChillyB

2. justashooter2a

justashooter2a XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    I've asked this before in other threads but never got an answer, so perhaps you can tell me why, since the XDs has a loaded chamber indicator, you would press-check? I'm not trying to be a smart-alec, I am really curious.

3. Go99

Go99 XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I was told you can't trust the indicator, some get stuck in the up position, so should always check before going out the door.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

4. DanielChamberlain

DanielChamberlain XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 3
    There was a movie many years ago starring Sean Connery where he played a Chicago policeman recruited into the FBI to get the moonshiners and eventually, Al Capone. In one scene, a really good young actor (Andy Garcia) was checking to see if his Thompson was loaded. Connery said: "Did you load it?" Garcia said: "Yes." Connery then said: "Then leave it alone."

There are two schools of thought in play here. In the first school, the thought is man is not infallible and will make errors (ostensibly when it comes to remembering if he loaded his gun).

The other school, one I belong to, is man is infallible and will make errors...but can overcome them by developing a routine. If one does the exact same thing every time, the exact same thing will result. If one has no routine, errors will occur.

The mid 80s "press check" involved placing one's thumb from the non-shooting hand into the trigger guard of a loaded, cocked 1911 style pistol and pressing back by placing the forefinger of the non-shooting hand very near the muzzle of the loaded and cocked 1911 style pistol. Looked tactical has hell, and looked pretty idiotic when one considered what might go wrong with sticking a thumb into the trigger guard of a loaded and cocked and "unlocked" 1911 style pistol.

Since the advent of loaded chamber indicators, some have eschewed them as not being reliable indicators that the weapon is indeed loaded, which strikes me as funny, since it's one component of the firearm they don't trust in a firearm that's loaded with components they do trust.

A press check is another way of playing with a loaded gun that one can justify - or try to - when the gun should simply be properly loaded, holstered and left alone until it comes time to deploy it, or put it to bed at the end of the day.

Best.

Dan

5. Onig

Onig XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The issue, to me, is not the press check per se. I mean, even if it doesn't return to battery, you can easily push it in. However, the bigger issue is an inadvertent out of battery condition, caused by a push on the slide while holstering or some other unforeseen action, and not knowing about it.
    This is something that SA should address, and FIX!, on all their guns.

6. cYm

cYm XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    the holstering part shouldn't be an issue. Once you pull the gun out of the holster it will go back into battery.

7. Onig

Onig XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Shouldn't is the word ;)

8. cYm

cYm XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    haha. in that case just make sure you buy a holster that fits tight and you'll be fine :p

9. apathia

apathia XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Load it and leave it. The bullet trolls didnt come out and remove the chambered round when you werent looking. Your way more likely to leave your gun out of battery with constant insecure press checks then you are to have somehow lost the round you chambered.

10. Rico

Rico XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    [​IMG]

11. weeds

weeds XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    thumb on the back of the slide ... hand off the grip safety....

12. justashooter2a

justashooter2a XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    This ^^

13. Thudpaw

Thudpaw XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    ^^^^Correct^^^^

14. yocan

yocan XDTalk 10K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +40 / 0
    My mp has a witness hole.

I win.

Loctite/paint pen/regularly check your gear. A gun falling off your belt is unacceptable

15. cervantes

cervantes XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Could you post the link to the video? Was it the one by VS Tulsa? I really would trust my XD-S more if this was not happening.

I am waiting for my XD to get back (received 9/15) and will then see how she works and decide if I keep her as my EDC or sell it... I am optimistic, but will wait until I put a few hundred rounds through it to be sure.

But I worry about the failure to return to battery issue. Yes, I realize that you can work around it. but in a life threatening situation, I do not want to have to work around anything that is different from my other guns. Murphy is alive and well... If something can go wrong it will. In a life threatening situation, if for any reason the slide has been moved back a bit, I do not want a click when I expected a bang!

As far as chamber checking, yes, I do that (safely) all the time. Consider that when the XD does not return to battery, the chamber indicator does not indicate "loaded." While it doesn't fire in that state, it will if the slide is touched and it moves back into battery. So no, I do not have 100% confidence in the loaded indicator. It is nice for when it is dark or when I need to check quickly and do not want to draw it to check. but when I have the option, I chamber check.

Besides, that is how I was trained and practice. When my wife got a gun, I decided I wanted all of our guns to operates the same way so she (or I) could pick any of them up and be good to go.... I did not want her practicing with a DAO then picking up my Single Action Firestar and missing the thumb safety, or the FEG and moving the safety the wrong way. So I am geting rid of all guns that do not work the way we train. If we have to remember to manually push it back into battery or if we cannot rack the slide without locking it back, then it has to go. (I don't mind racking it by locking then releasing the slide most of the time... but if I have to do an emergency "tap-rack-aim" situation, I do not want to have to do it differently... Just a solid, decisive slide...

But if I could polish it up a bit and improve the return to battery and the resistance to fully racking the slide (leading to occasional FTF issues) then the XD-S will be my constant companion, and I will get one for my wife in 9mm. Otherwise, it will be my XD-45 or my KelTec PF-9 depending on the situation.

Cervantes

16. Youngblood

Youngblood XDTalk 100 Member

Atop a ridge high above Kettle Run somewhere in VA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Odd ... the Thompson fires from an open bolt so unless you inserted an empty mag, it is loaded (no need to check for a chambered round) ... and if you have it ready to fire you can see the ammo & top of the mag ... so ...

Hollywood. ;)

17. Rico

Rico XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I've never felt a need to press check. Some do some don't. Not only do I remember but there's the LCI plus you can see a round in the chamber on the ejection port cutout on the right side. [​IMG]

18. CJ.

CJ. XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    An object at rest tends to stay at rest.....If your drawing the pistol out of the holster, the motion of the draw will cause the slide to return to battery everytime.

My XDs would hang up too but even the slightest movement of the gun would cause it to return everytime. So thanks to Newton's First Law....it's a non-issue to me.

19. ChillyB

ChillyB XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The issue for me isn't that I want to do press checks. The problem is that the slide can be moved out of battery and not return on its own. The slide could come out of battery from being dropped or grabbed at by someone other than me.

After burnishing the slot some more I'm not sure I'll get it to close on its own with further polishing of that area. It's better but not corrected. Maybe putting a spit-shine on the extractor hook will help. If not I guess the next step is to do something about the extractor spring pressure.

20. mudcat57

mudcat57 XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    ditto, they're great, right. But the one advantage my Canik Stingray has with the indicator that raises is that I can feel it at night without having to look. Here's the thing, though: When I was able to play and coach sports, I was a firm believer in knowing correct actions, then doing them the same way every time. I transferred that to my CCW. Do the right things all the time, every time, the same way. Then, if need be, things will go off automatically, just like I have practiced them thousands of times. "Playing" with a handgun is asking for trouble, imo.