Preparing to make the Leap

Discussion in 'M1911' started by KAcker87, Apr 25, 2012.

1. KAcker87

KAcker87 XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hey guys, been lurking since I bought my XD9 a month ago. It was my first gun purchase and I have already shot 700 rounds through it without a single hiccup. Rented a S&W 1911 and was immediately smitten. Later rented a Knight Hawk but had 5 FTFs in 50 rounds (but it was a rental). Well, I am sick of renting and I am ready to make my first 1911 purchase. I have narrowed it down to these:

• Ruger SR-1911 (but I will have to wait for it, and I haven't even touched one, which really makes me nervous to purchase but I love what I have heard!)
    • Springfield Armory Range Officer (Loved the trigger! Hate the sights but can change them, its a bit of a price jump but hear it's the best bang for the buck)
    • Kimber Custom II (found one for $699 locally and drooled all over it)
    • or an RIA Tactical (didn't really like the trigger, seemed to have a tad bit of creep to it but the price is so good. Guy at the shop says he never sees them after he sells them because buyers love them. People say, "You get what you pay for" but it is only my first 1911...;))
    Sorry for the length but this is a big choice for me. Do I drop the extra for the Kimber or more for the RO? Or do I bank on what I have heard and dive for the Ruger? Save my money and get the RIA? Now, a lot of you may tell me to try and shoot these but I have tried and it doesn't seem like that is an option. I value your opinions. Help me out guys, oh, and have I mentioned I am hooked on firearms? :grin:

Last edited: Apr 25, 2012
  2. BUZ124

BUZ124 XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Of the 4 choices you have it narrowed to, if it were me I would go with the Springfield or the Ruger

You wont go wrong with either in that price range

3. vecte

vecte XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have no personal experience with the Rugers, so I can't speak.

I'd personally stay away from the Kimber, as they are way to finicky with ammo (personal experience with three different Kimbers).

The RIA guns are excellent for the money, hard to say no to them.

Lastly is the Springfield, which would be my personal choice/preference. The first thing is Springfield's lifetime warranty and customer service, which is hands down one of the best, if not the best, in the market. Second, you mentioned the sights. Luckily, the Range Officer comes with Bo-Mar style sights, so your options for changing them are many. 1911s that come with Novak sights need to have their slides milled to fit Bo-Mar style sights, or they have to stay with Novak type sights.

4. Sharpie

Sharpie XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Of all of the 1911's I have shot growing up. The Springfield and Colts are by far my favorites.

Traded rounds at the range recently to shoot a guys Springfield Range Officer. I shot it better than my fathers Colt. It is an awesome gun!

As far as Ruger and RIA I don't know anything about them...

5. KAcker87

KAcker87 XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks, Vecte. I was all for the Kimber but came home read up and what I thought was Kimber Jealousy was actually Kimber experience. It seems if you don't spend over $1000 for a Kimber you have a much higher chance of issues. I will probably eventually get one but not for my first 1911. One down, three more to choose from!

6. vecte

vecte XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Just for reference, it's any Kimber, not just the cheaper ones (at least in my experience). I owned a Custom II, a TLE/RL, and a Desert Warrior ($1400 gun), and had feeding issues with all three. Two of the guns went back to Kimber, but I still had feeding issues pop up, even long after their break-in periods. I tried countless brands of magazines, followed everything Kimber said perfectly, but I still had issues with ejection.

7. Sigman78

Sigman78 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I recently snagged a Ruger SR1911. Funny thing is I wasnt looking for one until it popped up on my refresh screen on gunsamerica. For the price I couldnt pass it up...Its an excellent 1911, with a great trigger, series 70 slide, oversized ejection port and the fit & finish is up to snuff with 1000$ guns..however they are a PITA to get/find right now so if your not a patient gun buyer it may not be a good choice for you right now.

Out of the choices you listed a reliable and quality 1911 can be had in all but for the $$ the RIA, SA and Ruger would be the 3 makers I would personally search out. I think the Kimbers are nice but overpriced when sitting next to comparable versions of the other 3 you listed as choices.

8. Vaffanculo403

Vaffanculo403 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Get the Springfield. You won't be sorry! I have a Springfield 1911 Lightweight Operator. It's the finest firearm I have ever shot. In fact I'm selling my XDm to buy another Springfield 1911. I'm getting the Springfield Loaded Micro Compact Lightweight for my carry gun.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

9. XDM bitone 40

XDM bitone 40 XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    IMHO, SR1911 or Springfield Loaded...Y well you get Night sights and there are Novak and Dovetail front.
    [​IMG]

I guess i'm a little byest, i own 2 springfields..:mrgreen:

10. KAcker87

KAcker87 XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I appreciate the feedback but I would already be stretching for the RO. The Loaded just is a little much for my first 1911. Unless, other posts agree.

11. ta2dave76

ta2dave76 XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Take a good look at the rock island. Thats what I got as my first 1911. Plenty of models to choose from, the gi, tact, and the match, different barrel lengths and caliber options as well. Awesome customer service and lifetime warranty. I think the remmington r1enhanced or sa loaded will be my next one.

12. KAcker87

KAcker87 XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Honestly, that is where I am leaning. I can always buy up and I hear it is possible the RIAs could increase due to the demand. The price is too nice. I could pick one up almost anytime. I jut want to know if I should pass by them and skip a few rungs on the ladder for my first 1911 purchase.

13. Vandal

Vandal XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    I say get the Kimber. Mine is 4 years old and I have never had an issue with it. I run Wilson Combat mags. A lot of the hate I've seen online is people still in the break in period thinking it will run like a Glock. Any tightly built 1911 requires a break in.

I am looking at getting a Warrior next.

14. Vaffanculo403

Vaffanculo403 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    If I'm not mistaken those are manufactured in the Philippines and I've heard of people having major delays getting replacement parts when it's sent in for warranty service and not just from RIA but all companies that manufacture and assemble parts from the Philippines...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

15. FranksXDM

FranksXDM XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    cant go wrong with a SA or a kimber...do some research on satisfied customers,some times you can get MORE than what you pay for.