Preparing for EROL instead of WROL

Discussion in 'SHTF/Survival&Disaster Preparedness' started by Krackels, Oct 9, 2012.

1. Krackels

Krackels XDTalk 25K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +157 / 0
    I was listening to Jack Spirko from The Survival Podcast and he brought up the idea that EROL (excessive rule of law) is more likely than WROL (without rule of law).

I thought he had a good point, and because many people are prepping for a SHTF or TEOTWAWKI WROL situation they are completely (or not adequately) prepared for an EROL situation.

WROL or EROL Which is More Likely | The Survival Podcast
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jg1MmyMTghQ]WROL or EROL Which is More Likely? - YouTube[/ame]

What things do you think preppers should do to prepare for a EROL situation that they probably wouldn't do for a WROL situation?

Do you know other preppers (feel free to use "swim"-someone who isn't me) that have prepared for EROL? What are they doing?

2. Piratesailor

Piratesailor XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Boy, you know, that is a very good point regarding excessive rule of law versus without rule of law. I'm wondering if the former would/could lead to the latter? I haven't a clue as to what to do regarding EROL. Interesting in that like the boiling frog, we are probably headed that way and the only recourse is to ensure the vote. At some point, a country that has EROL will collapse. History over the past 3 thousand years has shown that time and again. During collapse the EROL won't matter and it becomes more a less controlled situation until a new organization is put in place. Just hypothesizing here.... and thinking about Rome.. USSR... etc.

3. rmccracken

rmccracken XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I do know someone. I guy I used to work with bought a good number of rifles (mausers I think). He has each one cleaned, lubed, wrapped up in some special protective cloth. He then took each one and put it in its own PVC tube sealed on one end with a sealing threaded cap on the other end. He put dessicants inside and has buried all of them. Some at his house. Some as parents/in laws house. Some at other relatives houses and some at his hunting camp. He has lots of ammo buried all over, to. He says that they were all bought legally with no paperwork trail. No one (officially) knows they exist.

4. RunninGunnin

RunninGunnin XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I think this is a very interesting way of thinking. My thoughts are you will see pockets of each as you move across the US. It will be important to understand your local governments and the general mindset in the area you live. Areas where there is more of a Liberal, government control mindset, you will see EROL early (Katrina) and preppers should be aware of the government taking what they have to give to others.

In the we take care of ourselves areas, you will see WROL. Just my thoughts but I'm just a rookie at all this.

5. Bonehead

Bonehead XDTalk 15K Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    some could argue we are already in EROL.

I would like to see someone gather every law, print them out on paper, and build a pile out of them.

I bet that pile would be pretty big.

6. matlt

matlt XDTalk 2K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The laws for your state alone fill up an entire library.

7. AwPhuch

AwPhuch XDTalk 15K Member

Ratings:
    +307 / 11
    It will start EROL (excessive rule of law) then go WROL (without rule of law)

Either way it will not be pretty

8. Groo

Groo XDTalk 10K Member

Ratings:
    +80 / 0
    I also expect massive EROL in a last ditch attempt to "hold things together" before it all fails and we are left WROL

F2F transaction were no paperwork is needed are still legal here for long guns, buying and selling. I also prefer disorganized kitchen counter FFLs when buying new ;)

I have 3 long guns that were gifts from Dad, and one I purchased from a totally unknown stranger (and never even exchanged names). Those were of course lost in my near fatal ice fishing incident:sad:. I am hoping to build my own some day too. I also had:sad:(see incident described above) a crossbow and muzzle loader. A decent break barrel pellet gun would be nice too. Been hearing stories of a kid using 1 to take a couple nice bucks. He apparently shoots them right up the nose when they are looking straight at him.

I have been honestly considering cacheing a Mosin, plus a case of surplus ammo in a wall or something (along with some honey and what ever else). I'll probably do that when ever I build a house. The working plan is a chunk of culvert stuck through a basement wall, and covered with insulation and drywall.

You guys might be interested in reading King's "Under the Dome" for a scary EROL SHTF scenario.

9. Krackels

Krackels XDTalk 25K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +157 / 0
    Yeah i think Jack thinks it will be more of the opposite. He points to the preparedness for keeping the continuity of government because of fear of nuclear attack (and today terrorism, civil unnrest, dollar collapse).

I tend to agree with Jack. Unless it gets really bad really fast you'll probably see pockets or WROL followed by EROL.

I think it would probably be wise to have decontamination supplies (to decontaminate after being exposed to tear gas/oc).

This has some good info in it.
    Tear Gas & Medical info for Protesters

10. slugger6

slugger6 XDTalk 90K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +712 / 32
    I don't understand that phrase.

11. rmccracken

rmccracken XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm not sure how it is in your state but in North Carolina anytime you purchase any type of firearm whether it's a rifle shotgun or pistol there is paperwork put on file. Any face-to-face, personal transaction of firearms is not subject to this. He says he bought them from an individual not from a "store."

12. john_bud

john_bud XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 1

Laid end to end they would go to the moon and back -- MANY TIMES.

The stack could escape the atmosphere and make it to low earth orbit, no problem.

13. Bonehead

Bonehead XDTalk 15K Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0

we could ALL roast hotdogs on that bonfire.

14. DixieXD

DixieXD XDTalk 3K Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0
    Wandering purposefully across the country, eh? Maybe we should decide here and now on a secret handshake or something.:cool:

15. saltair

saltair XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    In the U.S. there are over 55,000 gun laws.