Powder question

Discussion in 'The Ammo Can' started by coronaman, Jan 22, 2013.

1. coronaman

coronaman XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Long time reloader and I have been using Lymans 45 edition, with the new powders out can you recommend a good powder for loading 45's. I currently use Unique and 261. I have heard Hogdon clays is good.

Thanks,

Dave

2. Knightslugger

Knightslugger XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +71 / 11
    Unique is just fine. I wouldn't call it a new powder by any means, though. Thought about Winchester 231?

3. dglock

dglock XDTalk 3K Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0

Go here for some up to date info.

http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp

don

4. GT Jon

GT Jon XDTalk 10K Member

Ratings:
    +54 / 9
    What weight and style of .45ACP bullet? Jacketed, plated or cast?

5. fredj338

fredj338 XDTalk 10K Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    Clays is fine for light loads but build pressure rapidly as you get to the top end, so not gppd for full power loads. W231 is fine, my fav is WST. Cleaner buring & will not pressure spike as you get to the upper end/full power loads. Meter well, burns clean, almost always available. If yo like Unique but want better metering, WSF is almost a twin in sperical form.

6. YoopermikeXDM

YoopermikeXDM XDTalk 3K Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 1
    I use 231 for my 45acp. . A buddy of mine uses bullseye for his 45, he seems to like it.

7. 57K

57K XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 1
    I use W231 and WST to do different things, but I use Ramshot ZIP to do everything I want to do in .45 ACP. If you want a light shooting 200 gr. LSWC, just use a start charge. If you want to load a 230 gr. JHP to slightly over 900 FPS, it will do that too. It's more versatile than W231 and WST and is definitely cleaner burning than W231. Clays is pretty limited in performance and Unique won't do as well in light loads. ZIP is a newer powder but it's been around since about 2000. There is good data at Ramshot and if you can find it, Ramshot powders tend to cost a little less. ;)

8. coronaman

coronaman XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks to all for the great info.

Dave

9. train

train XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    231 and bullseye, not ever heavy! Leave that for store ammo. Few fancy rnds of defense ammo around.

10. JustSomeGuy

JustSomeGuy XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    Unique is good for the medium and up loads, and the Clays is good for the light stuff, but don't try to get too far up the velocity ladder with it... it's just too fast for that. I like WST for most of my target and moderately higher loadings with .45, but I like Silhouette too for more energetic loads. I haven't tried Zip yet as per 57K's recommendation, but I like the looks of it in the tables for 45 purposes, and I like Ramshot powders in general. A lot of the medium burn speed powders will do well in the large, low pressure case of the 45ACP. Depending on the bullet weight, type, and particular use you are going to put the rounds to, you will find some better than others.

When I look for a new powder to try, I look for load range in a particular caliber, and then it's versatility in several calibers. That is one reason I use a lot of Silhouette. Silhouette is a flattened ball powder that meters well, burns clean, and has a large safe load range in a lot of pistol calibers. I like WST for the same reasons, except it is limited more to the lower end in some calibers, while Silhouette is better at medium and more robust loadings up to full power.

11. 57K

57K XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 1
    Hey, Brother, I'm down to 47 185 gr. Golden Saber bullets. I have the factory loaded 185 +P in my XDm right now and I'm going to shoot them up on Sunday. If they feel as good as I think they will, I'm going to load those last 47 with the high end Silhouette load that at max pressure are still standard .45 ACP pressure and faster than the Remington +P load. I know I harp on Ramshot powders but I resisted using ZIP for several years. Now, I love it. I actually like both 231 and WST, but ZIP covers the full load range of both except that I haven't really tested it with very low charges so I won't claim that you can load as light like as you can with WST. Then again, I like 200 gr. SWCs in .45 ACP around 850 - 900 FPS.

I should have mentioned to you before now that True Blue is a true ball powder. I know AA#5 and #7 are very fine and dense, but True Blue being a True Ball shape meters as good or better than any powder available today. As much as I like Silhouette and ZIP, if I had to boil it down to 1 single powder for everything in handgun loads, it would be with True Blue. Now I have to tell you that I also use Enforcer for magnum revolver loads. I really got to liking what AA#9 would do in .357 and .41 magnum loads, but when I started hearing about lot variations with AA#9, I switched to Enforcer. Just learned recently, since Western Powder Co. owns Accurate and Ramshot, Enforcer and AA 4100 are the same powder. ;)

12. JustSomeGuy

JustSomeGuy XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    @ 57K: See... you learn something new everyday on here. I did not know Western owned Accurate powders, and that Enforcer and AA4100 were the same powder. Yet, I am dismayed that the variations in lots of AA9 should be from a company that makes a lot of the powders I like (Ramshot) which I have found to be very consistent.

Perhaps Western does not have their quality assurance fully ingrained yet into the Accurate Powder production.

I'm sure you will find the Silhouette load to be plenty accurate. I like it on paper, though I have no opportunity to test anything lately, nor do I have any Golden Sabers or Gold Dots for the .45. I have a bag of some hollow points I bought some years ago I will have to check on. They are 230grn though if memory serves. I guess I could load those up and wait for some day that crossed into the 50's at least, if it wasn't raining, and see if I can still hit a target.

As an aside... Hopefully you will be able to get some testing of the Zero HP's done in wetpack that we discussed some time ago, seeing as the weather there is so pleasant. Here in Oregon it has been in the 20's though clear. Now it is getting a bit milder, up to the 40's, but it's raining.

13. misfit-x

misfit-x XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I guess I'm the only one using Titegroup haha.

14. UofHdevildog

UofHdevildog XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Bull's eye and HP-38 (which is Winchester 231).

15. 57K

57K XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 1
    JSG, it's been several years since I've heard of any variation issues with #9. Western Powder Co. bought Accurate several years ago and I don't remember hearing of any lot to lot variations of #9 since, but I had already made the switch to Enforcer. Part of the problem was that Accurate got #9 from different sources over the years from what I've heard. I used to load #9 in .357 and .41 Magnum and I really liked it and it's supposed to be the powder of choice for the .357 SIG, which I don't shoot.

There have been no problems of lot to lot variation with any Ramshot powder though and the majority of their powders come from a single source which is in Belgium. The exceptions are Competition and Silhouette which are made in the US by St. Marks which I believe used to be Primex in Florida.

Thanks for reminding me about testing the ZERO bullets because I now have their 125 gr. JHPs in 9mm. So far I haven't loaded any of the ZERO 125s as I still have some Remington 124 gr. JHPs, but when I get down to a couple of hundred of the Remington's I'm going to hold them in reserve for defense loads in case the ammo shortage remains the same or gets worse. ;)