Popped my competition cherry..

Discussion in 'Gun Games: Shooting Competition' started by Jpatrick247, Mar 11, 2017.

1. Mar 16, 2017 #21
    Jpatrick247

Jpatrick247 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +82 / 0
    I have my pick of what I want to shoot where I am currently. I will probably stick to IDPA for the time being as it is very cost effective (low round count) and straight forward (defined stage progression requirements). USPSA looks like it will be a lot more fun once I get some more experience under my belt. We also have something here called Falling Steel that looks like fun too but just a little above my current skill level. At least with IDPA I will get pretty clear feedback on the targets as to where my shots are going.

2. Mar 16, 2017 #22
    fredj338

fredj338 XDTalk 10K Member

Ratings:
    +958 / 9
    Novice. Hey, walk before you run. I have friend, really good shooter. He came to the classifier thinking he could shoot master. Well he barely squeaked into SS. The classifier is hard because there are no makeup shots. Why I feel most master shooters get there in a sanctioned match bump, not by shooting the classifier. Stick with it, practice what you lack in. You'll get to MM pretty quick.

3. Mar 17, 2017 #23
    dapman

dapman XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +20 / 0
    Great plan. IDPA sounds like fun too. I'll try it soon. Steel is, of course my favorite thing to shoot. I, like most can't afford to shoot as much as I'd like. I'm thankful for what time I do get to spend at the range. Most important is you sound like another person wanting to be safe & competent with your firearm. Thanks for that!
    DAP

4. Mar 17, 2017 #24
    fredj338

Ratings:
    +958 / 9
    All matches have a safety officer or 2 per stage/bay. Most clubs will comp their SO staff at the match. This reduces your shooting cost but sometimes at the expense of your match. I SO at to clubs & ASO at another. This helps defer some of my cost. I reload all my ammo, so that helps too. I spend more in gas getting there than anything else.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Mar 18, 2017 #25
    Mcfoto

Mcfoto XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Another way I defray entry fees is to volunteer to help with set up. A couple hours of hauling targets, walls, etc. and roughing in the stages the day before gets me a free match. Added bonus: I get a heads-up on the stage layouts to work out my strategy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. Mar 19, 2017 #26
    fredj338

Ratings:
    +958 / 9
    I had to pound that into my MD. He complained no one wants to come out the day before. So now he comps up to 4 guys. We shoot 8stgs, twice a month, 75-110 shooters each match. He makes enough $$ to comp the SO & setup guys.:p

7. Apr 24, 2017 #27
    mbsmd

mbsmd XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0
    Shot my first Action Pistol tonight at a local club. Their Action Pistol nights are open to the public, though first time shooters have to do a qualifier round.

Tons of fun.

I'm quite happy with my performance for a first-timer. Shot better than a local cop who's a member of the club :)

Look forward to doing it again. I have to leave work a little early to get there on time, so not something I can do routinely, but will definitely go as often as possible.