Polaris 400 4x4 stuck in reverse, Advice?

Discussion in 'XDTalk Chatter Box' started by maizera, Feb 8, 2010.

1. maizera

maizera XDTalk 1K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    First off I have the worst luck. I am taking care of a place and they have a Polaris 400 sportsman 4x4 4-wheeler. I think it is a 2004 or 2005 model,. Well I used it twice and went to get it to plow the driveway, it went into reverse but will not come out. I have pressed the brake and tried to shift it. I have rocked it back and forth with no success. The linkage is all connected. I have run out of ideas. If I can't figure it out soon, I might just call a repair shop.

I have a snowblower to use as well, so I am not completely screwed.

Does anyone know what the cause might be? I tried google and didn't get any real good advice.

Every time I do this gig, there is a snowstorm and something goes wrong.

2. john_bud

john_bud XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 1
    Is the linkage snow / ice froze up? Bring it in to the warmth for 12 hours and try it.

3. jde164

jde164 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I had this happen to my 07 Suzuki Eiger, the linkage got disconnected and the shifter would not move. Check the linkage again, if it is snow/ice cover I would try taking it in a letting it warm up. Hope you get it fixed.

4. mbpe912

mbpe912 XDTalk 5K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +72 / 0
    Put plow on the back and drive it in reverse? :rolleyes:

did the case get hit my something?

5. RedBaron

RedBaron XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I've worked on the big 4 for years but never much with polaris. One thing I can recommend though is that 99% of the time, if their is nothing visually out of place, then you're gonna come out better taking it into a dealer. It's not worth screwing up. As john_bud said, give the unit a warm environment for a bit to see if anything frees up, otherwise, if my recalection of the Polaris sub-transmissions serves me right, you will be best off to take it in to the shop. Also, on the japanese atv's (I know polaris isn't but hear me out) they typically lock out the shifting with the foot brake pedel (as you've already mentioned using), check for a small cable behind the brake pedal running up to the box the shift linkage runs from. If the cable is too loose it won't disengage the lock. I'm not sure if Polaris even runs this setup as I am very unfamiliar with the brand other than riding 1 or 2. Also make sure that engine is idleing normally. This time of year I notice alot of people running their engines half-choke to try to correct for improper jetting. This causes the engine to idle high, causing the centrifugal clutch (on japanese quads), or the primary sheave (Polaris and Snowmobiles) to engage putting a load on the transmission and causing a no-shift condition. Best of luck

6. maizera

maizera XDTalk 1K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Thanks for the suggestions guys. I have a friend who had an older Polaris come over and help address the situation. I told him what you all had suggested. So we started with the linkage. Nothing seemed to be frozen, so we backed, pulled, and shoved it into the heated garage. With all the snow we have around here, it was a lot harder than it sounds.

We took the linkaga apart and re-adjusted it, put it back together and nothing. The shifter seemed to be stuck in the low position, but the readout showed reverse. So we took it apart again and tapped on where the shifter attached to the transmission. Well nothing changed until we went to hook it up again and the shifter made a "click" sound and the shifter moved freely. We hooked it back up and it shifted from R to H to L like normal. Started it up and it shifted right into gear. Actually it shifts better now than before. So I am guessing the adjustment to the linkage helped with this.

I think something was binding in the shifter, but thanks for the linkage suggestions, now it seems to shift better than before.

Thanks again!
    maizera