picatinny and weaver mounts interchangeable?

Discussion in 'SA-XD/XD(M) Accessories' started by ThomasA, Nov 6, 2008.

1. ThomasA

ThomasA XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Okay I tried searching without success. If I buy something with a weaver rail mount (20mm from what I could find) is it going to fit the picatinny on the XD (couldnt find any measurement info)?

-Thomas

2. ThomasA

ThomasA XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    nevermind, just when I almost gave up:

Picatanny V Weaver
    The only difference between the Picatinny rail and the similar Weaver rail is the size of the slots
    The Picatinny locking slot width is 0.206"(5.2324mm). The spacing of slot centers is 0.394"(10.0076mm) and the slot depth is 0.118"(2.9972mm)

Weaver rails have a slot width of .180"
    Weaver devices will fit on Picatinny rails, but Picatinny devices will not always fit on Weaver rails.

Picatanny (7/8") [​IMG]
    The Picatinny rail is a bracket used on some firearms in order to provide a standardized mounting platform for telescopic sights and other accessories, such as tactical lights and laser sighting modules. The standard was first published by the Picatinny Arsenal and carries the official title MIL-STD-1913. It is also known by the NATO designation STANAG 2324.

The Picatinny rail is the most versatile of all bases.Picatinny Arsenal in New York is an ordnance arsenal. In the 1960s, they created a new type of scope mount for heavier weapons. It resembles a Weaver base, but the notches are 5mm wide and located at precise intervals along the rail. Any manufacturer can make a mount to fit a Picatinny rail! In the 1970s, Picatinny rails migrated to small arms use, and today they are widely used by the military and law enforcement to hold not only scopes but also flashlights, lasers, rangefinders and night vision devices.

In order to provide a stable platform, the rail should not flex as the barrel heats and cools. For this reason Picatinny rails are cut crosswise, to give them considerable room to expand and contract lengthwise, which has no meaning in paintball but at least you know where it comes from. These slots are also standardized in size, and many accessories use them for locking purposes. The Picatinny locking slot width is 0.206"(5.2324mm). The spacing of slot centers is 0.394"(10.0076mm) and the slot depth is 0.118"(2.9972mm). The only difference between the Picatinny rail and the similar Weaver rail is the size of these slots, although many rail-grabber-mounted accessories can be used on either type of rail. Weaver rails have a slot width of .180", but are not necessarily consistent in the spacing of slot centers. Because of this, Weaver devices will fit on Picatinny rails, but Picatinny devices will not always fit on Weaver rails.

Weaver Rails (7/8") [​IMG]
    A Weaver rail mount is a system to connect telescopic sights and other accessories to rifles, shotguns, pistols, archery bows, etc.

The only difference between the Picatinny rail and the Weaver rail is the size of these slots, although many rail-grabber-mounted accessories can be used on either type of rail. Weaver rails have a slot width of .180", but are not necessarily consistent in the spacing of slot centers. The Picatinny locking slot width is 0.206"(5.2324mm) and the spacing of slot centers is 0.394"(10.0076mm). Because of this, Weaver devices will fit on Picatinny rails, but Picatinny devices will not always fit on Weaver rails.

Weaver mounts originated just before 1950. They were the first attempt to provide standardized scope mounts for rifles. They feature an integral recoil block to keep the rings in one place. Before Weaver mounts, rifles were most often drilled and tapped for small setscrews that sometimes snapped under heavy recoil. The Weaver base has a 3.8mm cross-key slot that accepts special Weaver keys located on the bottom of all Weaver rings.

3. Joeywhat

Joeywhat XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +37 / 0
    Typically, yes.

I liken it to 5.56/.223. Not quite an exact comparison, but close enough. You might run into troubles getting a weaver mounted device to mount on a picatinny rail. I've never run into problems mounting picatinny onto weaver...

4. richieb

richieb XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
  5. KDM

KDM XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    OK then I got a swiss arms universal pistol mount for my xdm 45. Why don't it have a pin on it so it won't slide off after 2 shots. Is it not made for a pistol that has recoil?

6. ThomasA

ThomasA XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Because its a cheap piece of **** and you get what you pay for!!!

7. KDM

KDM XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    :razz::razz:Yes they are cheap. So now I have 2 cheap ones. The first one did'nt work ether. You know where I can get a better one?

8. ThomasA

ThomasA XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0