Peltor Tactical 6S vs Howard Leight ImpactSport

Discussion in 'Gear Talk' started by badmax18, Apr 9, 2011.

1. badmax18

badmax18 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    For those of you looking for some electronic muffs, here are some suggestions/brief reviews. Before I start, I ALWAYS wear plugs under the muffs as well. Needed? Maybe not, but it helps even more.

Back in January I came across a killer deal and got 2 of the Peltor Tactical 6S muffs. My biggest complaint about the 6S has always the "audio managment". While they work as intended, the audio is not very loud, the batteries are a pain in the ass to change out, it takes 4 batteries (2 each side), it EATS batteries like no tomorrow, you have 2 volume controls (1 each side). However, BIG plus is the low profile which I really liked. Also, very good fit for smaller heads (fit my wife better than me). Price: ~$60-ish

So I kept going back to the Howard Leight Impact Sport muffs and finally decided I will sell one of the 6S and pick up a set of the Impact Sport. While still "low" profile, they are definitely bigger than the 6S (see pix) and also are built a lot better (my opinion). However, vs the 6S they have couple things going for them: only 2 batteries under the black cover, a lot easier to change the batteries, 1 volume control, they can go pretty loud and the audio management is a lot better, fit seems to be a lot more comfortable for me, and another cool feature is the AUX jack which will allow you to hook up a ipod or whatever. Price: ~$50-ish

Anyways, anyone looking for something in this department, my recommendation is the Impact Sports. Eventhough, for the money I do not think you can go wrong either way.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. psychocabbage

psychocabbage XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My awesome wife got me the Howard Leight Impact Sport muffs last holiday season. They are great. I can hear when we are discussing rounds and layouts while other people are shooting without issue. They have an auto off feature to help extend battery life but I keep using super cheap mass quantity batteries from walmart and dont mine swapping them out for the time I am using them.

Those Peltors look very nice though!

Thanks for the review. I was often wondering how the other units compare.

3. lvxdm

lvxdm XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have the Peltor Tactical Pro's. They're not low profile but they're great. Great NRR rating so I don't have to wear extra protection. Sound amplifier is great, comfortable and I've been on the same two batteries for about 24 hours now. I would definately recommend them.

4. tialloydragon

tialloydragon XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I have used both. I have found the Howard Leight's stay out of my way when mounting my shotguns or rifles better than the Peltor's, and the switch to turn them on, being low-profile, is harder to activate by accident (like while being bounced around in my gear bag.) They also have, I think, a two hour cut-off, so if you leave them on by accident you don't drain the battery.

I left my Peltors on by accident, and they never came back on.

I think the Peltor's sound quality is a little better, but the Howard Leight's are what I'm currently using.