Panic buying hit my gun club HARD

Discussion in 'XDTalk Chatter Box' started by SonOfOdin, Jan 17, 2013.

1. SonOfOdin

SonOfOdin XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 1
    I just wanted to chime in and share how the panic buying has affected my gun club and what is available. It started out slow and easy...but just this week I have seen the effect of full on panic buying. It was indeed a strange sight and a bit annoying to say the least.

Lemme start by saying that I did not panic and buy everything. I could have easily went in and bought all the tapco AK mags they had AND all the American Tactical steel mags for my AK. I could have bought a TON of pistol mags. I only bought two AK mags because I only had three and I only bought 2 G17 mags because I only had three. I did not stuff ALL of the inventory in a box with a greedy smile on my face. Why? Because I was considerate of others who may need them just as much or more than I.

For those who don't know, the club got one of those ruger commanders in. I already have the 5" gov't model SR1911 and knew I had to have one. The panic buying is so bad right now that I knew if I did not put it on layaway immediately someone would buy it just to hoard it. People went in and bought dozens of mags at a time, leaving virtually none for anyone else. The same applies to ammo.

But lets talk about the firearms themselves. Before Christmas, all of the AR's were gone. Even the high dollar colts. Scar's went way before that for an inflated $4000. They still had a pretty good stock of pistols. While I was in Monday they had 2 GLOCKS LEFT. People bought up the 10mm glocks just because they could. While I was there, they sold both glocks. They are very low on M&P's and will probably sell out soon. People are buying beat up, ragged and trashed police trades out of desperation. About all that is left are..

1. Lever guns
    2. Bolt action rifles
    3. Various shotguns
    4. .22 pistols
    5. Various consignment guns and police trades

They are even selling the POS Taurus guns in a case full of them that previously could not be GIVEN away. I am somewhat irked by this because people are selfishly hoarding away stuff at an astonishing rate. I am rather positive that the majority of the AR's they sold will set in a safe and gather dust and never even be shot. Half of the people buying them had no idea how to operate them, much less the intention of using them for anything. Even their intended purpose in accordance with the 2nd amendment. Not saying they should not have one, as it is their right...but...

A guy came in who had no idea what an AR was, much less how to use it or anything. He could not even get the name right calling it a bushwhacker (the salesmen was dying for me to come in and share a laugh). So this dill hole buys like three of them and all the mags they had and cases upon cases of ammo.

Other people who do not have one would like one too ya know....Thank god I invested in my Zastava M70 waaaaay before the panic. Folks, I understand you are worried about the future and your second amendment right...but if you have never even seen an AR, much less have any knowledge on it other than its evil and the guuberment is going to "ban" them...YOU DON'T NEED THE LAST THREE YOU SELFISH PRIG.

2. Odomxd

Odomxd XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +529 / 2
    Well said....

3. Bonehead

Bonehead XDTalk 15K Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    I agree with what you are saying people shouldn't be greedy about it.

I also like to see gun stores "sold out". it means all the weapons found homes.

I like it when my friends JMAC and Ashley are selling so hard and fast they can barely keep orders filled and they cant keep inventory. I want them to be busy. I want them worried about keeping back orders straight and who is next in line for lowers and magazines.

it makes me happy when guys here cant find what they need and I connect my XDT bros with my other friends and sales happen.

if people are buying that means these small business are selling. if the small businesses are selling, the big businesses are manufacturing.

it sucks that SO many people are buying things are tough to get but... it means success for real people and their chosen livelihood. people that start a business almost have to stay awake at night the first few weeks or maybe months worrying about what if I order 10,000 worth of product and no body buys it? what if I jump through all these hoops and spend all this time and money to get an FFL and a class III and nobody calls or comes in?

we should all be happy for the guys selling and not gouging.

people that wouldn't consider using the 2A are now buying in a motivated frenzy. that's a good thing too. the bushwhacker guy will probably be educated on things and he may be a new shooter that really takes to it. if not he may flip the rifles to someone that really appreciates them.

4. kapt_krunch

kapt_krunch XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Very well said! Both of you!!!

Sent from my iPad3 using Tapatalk

5. HoJo

HoJo XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +29 / 0
    I'm with you all the way. All I bought in this whole fiasco is one striped lower and a parts kit so I can build a dedicated .22.

6. Selta

Selta XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    That sucks man. I think it's pretty much the same thing around the country right now. I know a couple LGS's were cleared out... some had people buying 5-6 firearms and all the ammo they could carry in one shot.

7. Knightslugger

Knightslugger XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +391 / 34
    the whole "you don't need" thing... is what got New York the ban...

8. Partinrn

Partinrn XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Yep I bought a grand total of 1 13 round mag for my XD, 200 rounds of .45 target ammo and 150 rounds of hst over the course of a month. I did buy a few steel ak mags, but since I already had more than one I wasn't panicking.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

9. racincowboy3

racincowboy3 XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    This is getting crazy and out of hand...

The part that sucks for me is now I am in the position that I can finally purchase the guns that I have been saving up for over the last few months, and I can't find them! I have wanted an AR in the worst way and saved up to buy one and now I can't even find a built lower to start with. I was going to by a 1911 and went in yesterday and everything was sold out that wasn't $1200+ for an AR and I just can't get doing that right now...

So it pretty much sucks but it is what it is I guess. Can't wait for this to slow down... until then I am gonna save more and more and buy when it is time!

10. brandonm113

brandonm113 XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    at my LGS they couldn't even put their G17's or G19's on the shelf before they sold--they were literally purchased as the shop was logging them in their system. all the MP's save for one 40s&w are gone. Absolutely no AR's, pretty much all that is left on the long gun walls are bolt action rifles and some double-barreled shotguns. the only heater i bought was my FN FNS-9...and i freaking love it :)

11. Sassafras

Sassafras XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +27 / 3
    It's gonna get worse. Ck Galleryofguns and you will find most firearms are allocated or 0 are available. Sportsmanship guide will have 9mm FMJ available 1/3/2014--

12. TekWarren

TekWarren XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I was at one of the local gun shops my whole lunch hour yesterday. I left with mixed feelings. There were a couple guys there and a truck was just unloading, it had one AR in the delivery and some jack-hole who was there before me scarfed it up laughing saying he wouldn't lose money on it. The GOOD was that the rifle did not have an inflated price. I respect the shop owner for that but I was a little irked that I put my name on a "list" weeks ago and this guy was just allowed to walk in and buy the AR with what sounded like intentions to resell it. -I don't own one. He got it for just over $1000 with tax, which is what this rifle was originally priced at ~$950.

Another shop that I went to after work and am growing to dislike more and more had Colts for $2500+ I am losing respect for them in that regard.

13. Selta

Selta XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I don't think anyone's saying they don't need or shouldn't have these items - just that a little more courtesy and thought for fellow firearm owners would go a long way.

14. Helpdesk9

Helpdesk9 XDTalk 20K Member

Ratings:
    +420 / 13
    I think I found the problem..

15. Knightslugger

Knightslugger XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +391 / 34
    The highlight is what i was referring to.