Owner of 3, for now. :-)

Discussion in 'New Member Welcome Center' started by Handyhiker, Jan 9, 2017.

1. Jan 9, 2017 #1
    Handyhiker

Handyhiker XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +29 / 0
    I just signed up to the forum and wanted to say howdy to all. I currently own 3 Springfield XD's and looking for some help with one. Currently in the stable are a XD 9mm Mod. 2 service bitone, a XDS 9mm 4.0 bitone and a XDM 45 compact all black. Really like the XD's and look forward to hanging out here and learning a few things.

2. Jan 9, 2017 #2
    TSiWRX

TSiWRX XDTalk 4K Member

Ratings:
    +2,033 / 7
    ^ Welcome. :)

What help are you looking for?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Jan 9, 2017 #3
    StrayCat

StrayCat XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +83 / 0
    Howdy, welcome to the site. Nice cross section of XD's you have.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Jan 9, 2017 #4
    Handyhiker

Handyhiker XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +29 / 0
    Guess that would help.
    On my XDM 45, the flush mag smashes the first bullet and makes the slide hard to actuate. I have taken both of the mags apart and cleaned them and done a light oiling inside. I also wiped down the spring with a light coat of oil but it seems like the flush mag just doesn't have enough room for any free play when fully loaded. If I leave it one round short, it is okay. Is this normal?

5. Jan 9, 2017 #5
    Handyhiker

Handyhiker XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +29 / 0
    I need to add that I just got this 45 and it was used when I got it. It was very dirty and I have done a really good cleaning and am actually cleaning it again right now.

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. Jan 9, 2017 #6
    TSiWRX

TSiWRX XDTalk 4K Member

Ratings:
    +2,033 / 7
    Oh, this is tremendously interesting!!!!

You're now the third case I've read of this happening, over the course of the last three or so months. The latest, IIRC, was this one:

XD-45 FTF issues

In this case, it was an aftermarket magazine release button that caused the issue (as minimum_freebore noted in that thread, in post number 5, there was another recent report of this issue), but we've recently also seen a case of a defective factory-OE magazine release button causing similar problems (not the smashed/crushed case, however):

Hard to remove full mag with one in chamber... (look at the OP's post number 25, in that thread).

Take a look at the mag-catch assembly and how it is interfacing with the magazine release button......

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Jan 10, 2017 #7
    AR180B

AR180B XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +4,819 / 9
    Welcome from Fort Smith Arkansas.
    Agree with TSiWRX. Do you reload?. If you don't load to capacity, leave one out, does it still smash it?
    On oiling the mags, if you follow that course, You'll need to increase the frequency in which you clean them. Oiled, they accumulate contaminates. I don't think oiling the mag is a good thing. Only in special scenarios would I Lightly Oil the Mag.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Jan 10, 2017 #8
    Jonnyuma

Jonnyuma XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +3,972 / 65
    I'm not sure we're all on the same page here...

What do you mean by "smashes the bullet"?

My best guess: mag loaded to capacity, top round is at a wonky angle, inserted w slide closed, difficulty racking the slide...?

Am I close?

O, and I agree with AR180B about oiling yer mags. If anything use a dry lube or something that will get dry, like Eezox.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Jan 10, 2017 #9
    Handyhiker

Handyhiker XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +29 / 0
    When I insert a full compact mag, the last 1/8 or 1/16 inch is difficult. When I force the mag in and locked in place, the top bullet then rubbs the bottom of the slide and makes the slide hard to rack.
    I really believe that there is something with the mag. When I am putting in the last round, it is tight and there is almost no, like 30-40 thousands of free play left up and down. Even with the speed loader it is all I can do to get that last round in. So that is why I tried oiling the mags, just to see if it helped. Nope, not a bit.

10. Jan 10, 2017 #10
    TSiWRX

TSiWRX XDTalk 4K Member

Ratings:
    +2,033 / 7
    Reads the same as the instances I've cited above. Take a look at those in-links.

The first troubleshooting step should be to rule-out the magazine and ammo, but if you're seeing the same issues with several other mags and with different variations of factory ammo, I'd visit the magazine release/catch, next.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1