Springfield XD Forum banner

Ordered a new red dot

9K views 109 replies 21 participants last post by  Gealousy 
#1 ·
I had a Primary Arms M3 red dot for a few years. Sold it about a year ago wanting to go back to a scope. Well I never did and wanted a red dot again.

I kind of like the look of the micros so I figured I'd give it a try. Plus I cannot justify spending $500+ on a red dot. If my life depended on it, of course I would. But for what this firearm is used as. Nope lol.

See less See more
Reactions: Minkman555
#3 ·
I started to buy the model with the push buttons on top but figured they could mess up easier with dirt and grime.

#5 ·
Good buy. I almost bought one of these, but went with the TRS-25. Am sure it will serve you well.

Reactions: windsearcher
#7 ·
For the price point...can't hardly go wrong.

#10 ·
I have a different model of the PA Red Dot... (forget which one)..... and for fit / finish / quality I have no issues with it.

The two problems I have are 1) Batteries die very quickly and 2) the red dot, even at full is very hard to see in bright daylight / bright backgrounds.

It is mounted on my M&P 15-22 and does it's duty as a training sight for weapon familiarity, but if I needed something for more serious duty, I'd have to stick with my AImpoint or an Eotech or even better, bust the budget and go for an ACOG or VCOG. :)

Have a great time with yours, I think it will be just fine for you!!

#11 ·
I have a different model of the PA Red Dot... (forget which one)..... and for fit / finish / quality I have no issues with it.

The two problems I have are 1) Batteries die very quickly and 2) the red dot, even at full is very hard to see in bright daylight / bright backgrounds.

It is mounted on my M&P 15-22 and does it's duty as a training sight for weapon familiarity, but if I needed something for more serious duty, I'd have to stick with my AImpoint or an Eotech or even better, bust the budget and go for an ACOG or VCOG. :)

Have a great time with yours, I think it will be just fine for you!!
wind bro you should check out an accupoint before you opt for the VCOG. I was messing around with a VCOG at SHOT and that thing is MASSIVE!

#12 ·
@ Mink..... yeah, I know... massive size and $$$.... those are just pipe-dreams.... the PRO I have should do everything I need... for now anyway. :)

#15 ·
Yeah this would be going on a M&P Sport. I'll prob get the PA just to check one out and.it's easier on the wallet.

I'm going to start a BCM build or Colt 6920 OEM Middlelength later on this year. BCM better than Colt? I'll get more customization from the bcm build. Still tossing that around in my head as well with the pros cons and cost. I haven't got chance to shoot a bcm Colts I have from the army of course.

#19 ·
Yeah this would be going on a M&P Sport. I'll prob get the PA just to check one out and.it's easier on the wallet.

I'm going to start a BCM build or Colt 6920 OEM Middlelength later on this year. BCM better than Colt? I'll get more customization from the bcm build. Still tossing that around in my head as well with the pros cons and cost. I haven't got chance to shoot a bcm Colts I have from the army of course.
Honestly my man... apples and apples they are both amazing top teir rifles. One could NEVER go wrong with either.. the finish on the BCM will have a more refined finish, but Colt will always be on top and is the only "true milspec" rifle.. so honestly.. pick whatever brand you prefer.

#18 ·
Mine should be here today. I will post pictures for you the best I can to show the tint. From everything I have read and watched online it doesn't show tinted color when looking through the optic. It's a crystal clear lens. The tint and angle are just for glare.

I almost bought the $169 one. I just didn't think I'd like the buttons on top. That and I do not shoot my ar as much as I'd like too. So $89 sounded better.

#20 ·
Mine should be here today. I will post pictures for you the best I can to show the tint. From everything I have read and watched online it doesn't show tinted color when looking through the optic. It's a crystal clear lens. The tint and angle are just for glare.

I almost bought the $169 one. I just didn't think I'd like the buttons on top. That and I do not shoot my ar as much as I'd like too. So $89 sounded better.
Pretty much all red dots will have a slight tint to them. This is only to provide contrast and it helps keep the dot from washing out (disappearing).

The new aimpoint T-2 is almost "tint free" but still the new 800 tiny dot still has a light (very light) shade of blue. This is the nature of the beast. My Trijicon red dot has a very very blue tint but as you said @bsmith4293 this is not noticeable on red dots when correctly shooting (with both eyes open and focusing on the target.)

Enjoy that new PA and let's see some pics!

#21 ·
I agree. I won't swear the other PA red dot I had was crystal clear but I'm pretty positive it had no tint. If it did it wasn't enough for me to notice

#23 ·
New red dot came in today. Sorry for crap pictures. This is with my Note 4 and I'm not good at taking pictures lol.

#28 ·
So if the other PA is a little under $200, does it stand up to others at the same price range? Like the Vortex, or others. For $200, what are the best options?

#31 ·
Right... but the other PA one was mentioned as well going for $169. This one sounds like a winner. I'm not spending a fortune. But I have heard others mentioned as well right under $200. Thought I would ask.

#32 ·
Ah got ya. You are referring to the MD-ADS. It's the upgraded model of the one I bought I believe, don't quote me on that. There is two reasons why I didn't buy that one. 1. Price. 2. The buttons for a dimmer and brightness. Not a fan of buttons on most things so I figured I wouldn't like it on a red dot. Mostly price was the desiding factor though.

#33 ·
I'm spending in other areas. So this one sounds great. Might be good for me. Vortex, and Lucid have some that people like. So under $200, well, maybe. But for now, I think I am going to forgo BUIS, and get a red dot and call it good.

#34 ·
Nothing wrong with that. Which model one are you getting? I don't think I've ever even seen one in person. I am trying to paint some things now so hopefully I'll test it out within a week or so.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.