Opinions requested I am buying my XDM tomorrow, please no arguing.

Discussion in 'New Member Welcome Center' started by jcsftwre, Apr 29, 2010.

1. jcsftwre

jcsftwre XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I sold my pickup truck today so tomorrow I am going down to by my XDm I have thought and thought and so on that I am going to get it OD green on bottom. I also want it to be in a 9 mm I have been thinking for the cost of shooting reasons. I plan on shooting a lot. I live about 2 miles from the civilian firing range at Fort Lewis WA. I also am a 100% Service Connected Disabled Vet. So I get to go on post and shoot for very little cost. I have my Civilian – Military ID card and the proper stickers to get me on post. I would like to be as proficient with my new pistol as I was with my M-16 and that was darn good. I have been telling myself if I plan on shooting a lot I need to get a 9 mm for the cost of the rounds they are cheaper. I also should say that I have my CPL permit and plan on daily carry. (Yes I am also taking courses from The Firearms Academy of Seattle when my class comes up. So I guess I should ask am I cutting myself short by getting a 9 mm because of cost (for practice shooting) when I should be looking at something larger? My reasoning is that I know most police shoot a 9 mm I also know that shot placement (in a self defense occasion) is imperative. I have always been good in this area, I homesteaded for 16 years in Alaska and hunted for all my food then. I am a good shot. What are some thoughts, and opinions from your gentlemen that think I should be looking at a larger caliber weapon. I know that if a bad guy is shot in the (man I hate writing like this) head area with a 9 mm he is not going to stand and argue with you. What do you guys think? 9 mm, .40 or 45?

2. Spawnz

Spawnz XDTalk 1K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0
    Go with the 9mm. Unless you are into reloading, the 9mm will be the cheapest caliber to purchase of the three you mentioned. Practice, practice, practice. I, for one, would not want to be shot with either of the three calibers you mentioned. The 9mm is a fine round and will get the job done. 'nuf said.

3. nitsudredle

nitsudredle XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    im new to shooting but i do like my 9s. i have a ruger p95 and a colt combat commander and follow up shots and managing recoil are easier and faster with the nine. the 1911 is awesome but the nine is my baby. i say your making a good choice. but hey thats just me. but i do think that if you plan on carrying it maybe you should go with a smaller pistol than the xdm. like maybe a subcompact

4. xdmp22

xdmp22 XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    there is only one true answer to your question, and here it is...

Whatever you shoot best.

For a carry piece, it really doesnt matter as long as you can put two in the chest and one in the head in a stressful situation. Buy and carry what works best for you.

I carry a .45 because i prefer the push back recoil as opposed to a snappy recoil.

.40 is no good for me, i cannot shoot it well. 9mm is better but my groups are twice as good with a .45 so i bought a .45 for carry

if its a range toy, go with 9mm for cheap ammo

other than that buy what shoots best, if you can rent all three calibers and try them, that is the best idea

its like the Glock vs XD discussion, both are great pistols, when i tested both the XD groups for me were half that of the glock and it felt better in my hand than the Glock so i bought the XD

If i would have shot the Glock better I would have bought the Glock

only other answer is the ultimate answer, buy all three and a whole lot of bullets, then shoot the weekend away

5. BigCat

BigCat XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My vote is 9mm. Cheaper to shoot is the main reason, unless you have a hook up on ammo.

6. chameleon

chameleon XDTalk 4K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    i went from glock 17 (9mm) to xdm9 to xd40sc to xdm40 to 1911 (.45acp). I still own both .40s and the 1911. the two rounds are very different but are enjoyable in their own way. the price difference from 9-.40-.45 isnt that huge to where your not still going to be able to put a lot of rounds down range. go with whats the most comfortable for you.

7. 1lowlife

1lowlife XDTalk 15K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +67 / 0
    Welcome to the forum jcsftwre..
    And thank you for your service and sacrifice to the country.
    I like my nines...:mrgreen:

8. slugger6

slugger6 XDTalk 85K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +156 / 2
    Welcome to the forum.

9. operator742

operator742 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    from ever thing you said I would go with the 9mm

10. southern thunder

southern thunder XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Nothing wrong with a 9mm.

11. 40XDSC

40XDSC XDTalk 3K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thank you for your service. Welcome to the forum from Oregon. Think you will do just fine with the 9mm.

12. jcsftwre

jcsftwre XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks for all the replies and the encouragement. Thank you for the kind words on my service, sometimes life sucks because of it, but the V.A. takes pretty good care of me.
    I was/am pretty set on the 9 mm but I wanted some other peoples opinions and to hear what they have to say. I know some guns feel better in one guys hand and feel bad in another. But shoot long enough a man can adapt to most anything or situation. Thanks guys.
    Rick
    (R.A.T.M.)

13. 2fastforU

2fastforU XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm new to this whole gun thing, but from what I understand there are 2 schools of thought. The first is that you want to blow 1 big hole in the perp and stop him in his tracks (.45). The second is to have a gun that has little recoil and will allow you to get back on target to put as many holes as possible in him, thus dropping his blood pressure, and putting him into hemorrhagic shock (9mm). I don't disagree with either from a self defense standpoint, both will work. This is why I have a .40. If you intend to put obscene numbers of round through it I would agree that a 9mm would be the most cost effective.

thoughts?

14. rockerZ71

rockerZ71 XDTalk 5K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +41 / 0
    If you plan on shooting a lot, I suggest that you seriously consider reloading. It may pay for itself pretty quick depending how much you shoot.

15. swoopko

swoopko XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    i have an xdm 3.8 40 good thing with that calber you have the option to go buy a conversion barrel to change to 9 mm or 357 sig barrel around 160 with the 9mm u have to get the regular xdm 9 magazine they fit same frame size 357 sig fit in original magazine

16. Poink88

Poink88 XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I know to each his own but just throwing my opinion on this.

I am not a fan of conversion barrels. For little more (after the barrel, recoil spring and magazines), I would rather buy a 2nd gun (even a used one). I want my gun (a .40 XDM in my case) ready at any time.

I actually did exactly that and bought (not a 9mm but) a 22LR Buck Mark...even much cheaper to shoot. :D. Yes I know it doesn't count as practice for my HD gun but it sure help minimize cost at the range and still get loads of fun!!! (and that 's what matters to me)

17. thunderjohn

thunderjohn XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Rick,
    Another Thank You for your service, and I hope we are taking good care of you. You deserve it.

I agree with xdmp22. Shoot what you can shoot well. Instructors will tell you to shoot what you can put multiple rounds on target with, in a couple seconds.

I've carried everything and I keep going back to 9mm. The caliber debate will never end.

Good luck with your purchase and enjoy. John

18. CdnInAz

CdnInAz XDTalk 3K Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    another thankyou for your service, another welcome to a great forum with many helpful members, and another vote for 9mm to do what you described you want. As you can see in my sig I like 9s, for the reasons you and others have stated: best cost for practice, LEOs all over have used 9s for years. I'd also add one more reason: higher magazine capacity. XDm has difference of three rounds between 9mm to 40cal. May not be a biggie for you, but can be enough difference to avoid carrying a spare mag. My example: most of my use is open carry in back country - I usually feel my XD has plenty with 16+1, but I always take a spare mag when carry the HiPower.

19. rogerL

rogerL XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    You don't want to spend the next few years second guessing yourself by being talked out of something. 9 is a great cartridge - if that is what you want, get it.

20. guns54

guns54 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    welcome from ohio.