opinions please - Colt 1911 "100 years of service"

Discussion in 'M1911' started by CdnInAz, Feb 26, 2011.

1. CdnInAz

CdnInAz XDTalk 3K Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0
    I have committed myself to buy a piece of American history - a new 1911 in 2011. Have been reading, asking opinions at local USPSA club, researching, and shopping around to look. Had first considered Kimbers, read lots about them on here and elsewhere, went and rented a few, not so impressed. Had decided on a Springfield, been trying to narrow down which one. Had originally thought of micro sizes to be better for carry, but decided I'd go more classic at least 4 inch perhaps 5. Definitely want stainless with wood grips - just like that look, and I already have two black semis.

For the how much question, had originally thought 800-900, leaving some extra money for holster, reload dies and plate, extra mags for match shoots, etc. But my annual bonus was OK, so now thinking up to 1200 or so.

All along I have also looked at Colts. But my reading on this forum and elsewhere sort of scared me away. Many nay sayers on quality. That brings me to my question. Just saw this posted and it is at a store near to me that I have visited and staff always seem good:
    Colt Model 01070RG 1911 45 ACP rail gun 100yrs

Price seems right when I googled that model number 01070RG, in fact same gun is at another store nearby for $50 more. I really like the style, and the 100 years roll mark is a nice bonus. I probably don't need the rail, but if it is not going to be my carry guess it does no harm.

what do you folks think? opinions please, thanks in advance :smile:

2. Cuda66

Cuda66 XDTalk 10K Member

Kandiyohi County, MN--land of fields and lakes.
    Ratings:
    +389 / 5
    I would have a problem buying a 100th anniversary edition 1911 that wasn't a Colt...it would kinda be like buying a hundredth anniversary edition of the Model T made by Chevy...

Beyond that, I've been told that Colts can be a bit hit or miss, but are mostly hit. And they are supposed to be pretty good about taking care of issues if they do pop up.

3. aaron1984

aaron1984 XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    If you want to buy a piece of american history buy it made in the USA at least SA imports their 1911's I wouldn't take one if it were free....

4. CdnInAz

CdnInAz XDTalk 3K Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0
    umm. You would not take a free Colt, or you would not take a free Springfield? Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think there is a new 1911 that is totally made in USA. Some are assembled here, but none start here. Springfield casting and machining is in Brazil, some final assembly in Illinois. Colt is probably the highest US content. Sad, very sad.

5. smokey

smokey XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
  6. Clinton1621

Clinton1621 XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I like the SA 1911's better than Colt for looks, performance wise I would have to say is up in the air... you are paying more for a Colt because of the name IMO.

7. dekansnowman

dekansnowman XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    For the record, I purchased a Colt Commander with the "100 years of service" on the slide. I had several issues with it so let me just list them:

1.While chambering a round the slide would stay stuck too far back as if it over-traveled. It would take a decent amount of force to make it return to normal position. This happened a few times, not all the time.

2.When hitting the slide release after inserting a new magazine, it just felt "clunky" and not nearly as smooth as other Colts and/or 1911s I've shot. This happened all the time.

3.I make a habit when I first get a pistol to load random amounts into the magazine to fight the habit of compensation. I like to be caught off guard and see if I still lunge forward. Well, the slide stuck back and I thought I was done with the mag. Went to hit the mag release button and a full round fell out. The slide stuck back making me think I fired the last round and the empty mag stopped the slide.

Now, all of these issues have lost my faith in this particular pistol as far as using it as my concealed pistol, while simultaneously making me double my faith in my XDM. I never appreciated fully a weapon that "just works" because both my beretta and XDM work all the time. But since this issue with my Colt, I'm so glad I never stopped carrying my XDM.

For the fix:

I called Colt the first business day after the trip to the range that uncovered all these issues. The entire conversation went this way:

Colt Rep: (Thank you for calling Colt and can I help you or something like that)

Me: (Explained the issues just like I typed them above)

Colt Rep:Ok sir well I'm sorry that you're having issues with you Colt Commander. Please allow me to take your information down because I am going to have FedEx email you a shipping label so you can send that pistol back. Please have it unloaded and safe for transport. This will be of no cost to you shipping here, for any repairs, or shipping back to you.

Me:Wow, that's great. What if you can't fix the problem? Like what if it's machined parts that are the issue?

Colt Rep:Replacement parts and/or pistol is another option as well.

So let's just say so far their customer service is spot on because there was zero hesitation when I told her the problems. I'll give an update if you guys would like after this ordeal is done and over.

8. CdnInAz

CdnInAz XDTalk 3K Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0
    thanks for the post dekansnowman. Wow, lots of issues. Sort of backs up what I mentioned in my first post, that my reading on this forum and elsewhere sort of scared me away. Yes, I for one would like a followup report when you know more.

9. chameleon

chameleon XDTalk 4K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hell I would. If I didn't have any sentimental feelings towards it I would clean it, load it, and shoot the crap out of it lol.:twisted:

10. aaron1984

aaron1984 XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Kimber is made in the USA says made in Yonkers NY on both of mine ;-)

I don't mind imports like Taurus or Rock Island, those are cheaper than the made in the usa guns.

I'm pretty sure S&W + Para make theirs in the USA also and offer them at better prices than SA does.

I'd not take a Free SA (ok I would but I'd sell it to buy something else :-D)

11. dekansnowman

dekansnowman XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm not intending to scare you away from a Colt by any means, because any one of us could get a bad apple. Company policies for manufacturers are somewhere around 1-6 percent fail rate. So if you figure per 100 guns, 1 at least has a chance of being bad, that's pretty good considering.

Every company will have bad items out of a bunch, the real test of a company is how will the handle the situation when a customer brings it to there attention. I felt better about the situation when she immediately said it was going back for service.

You better believe if they didn't want to fix it, and that weapon malfunctioned causing injury, it would be "Dekansnowman Firearms" and not "Colt Firearms"..;)

12. jmichna

jmichna XDTalk 25K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +770 / 19
    I really like this analogy! [​IMG]

13. Brickboy240

Brickboy240 XDTalk 25K Member

Ratings:
    +468 / 5
    I own two Colts and would buy another.

Colt is Colt and these days, chances are you will get a good one over a bad one.

Besides, with Colt 1911s, when you go to sell them...you will get higher resale than with any other brand.

Nothing wrong with the original article. I still want one of those royal blued 5" Series 70 NRM models...they're dead sexy!

- brickboy240

14. Tumber

Tumber XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0

Another thing that you should think of when thinking of this... Colt manufactured some of the first 1911's, but Browning developed them..Hence the reason for the Utah state gun being a Browning 1911. So you should throw a browning 1911 in the mix also.

15. CdnInAz

CdnInAz XDTalk 3K Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0
    good point - I had thought about that. But remember that John Browning sold the rights to Colt, then redesigned his concept into the HiPower for a contract with the French military. I already have a HiPower!! It is my sentimental gun, and still my favorite shooter. First handgun I shot was the Canadian version of HiPower, trained with it and carried it. Dec 09 I bought a used modern version from an acquaintance - the Standard, web picture of same gun attached below. Now look at two pictures, attached below. I know and you know they are very different guns, but heck they look so alike. I prefer variety in my collection ;) Also as I noted up top, I'd prefer stainless for my next gun because already have two black 9s :) And not sure what that commemorative Browning in 45 will sell for - on their website linky the 22LR version shows retail at $4669, the MSRP for the 45 shows "unavailable" Sort of like in the movies where say "if you have to ask,ya can't afford it" :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 16, 2011