Open carry in Tennessee....

Discussion in 'Non-XD Handguns' started by Phoenixd45, Aug 17, 2007.

1. Phoenixd45

Phoenixd45 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    As I understand it, you can legally open carry in the state of TN. I have heard alot of negative responses to doing so. I guess I can see some people flipping out and calling the cops, which would cause unwanted attention. What are your opinions on open carry? Any Leos that could give me their experience on this matter? Thanks, Phoenixd45

2. KarolinaKid

KarolinaKid XDTalk 2K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +66 / 0
    TN issues a Handgun Carry Permit (HCP), which does not specify how you carry it. Thus you can carry open or concealed. Part of the reason behind it was to make sure a permit holder who accidently printed or exposed a firearm would not be in trouble for lack of concealment.

I seldom open carry just because there are so many that do not know the actual laws, including LEO, so the attention and number of people that freak out are not worth the trouble. I'd rather fly under the radar anyway. There are those in TN that feel more should open carry in an effort to educate the masses on our rights and the actual laws around HCP.

3. SpringfieldXD.40

SpringfieldXD.40 XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +66 / 0
    www.opencarry.org

Should be all of the info you need......

I am all for open carry!

4. jeepinbanditrider

jeepinbanditrider XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I open carried while I was there during a family reunion (TX CHP holder) and had no problems or cops called on me.

5. baerjn

baerjn XDTalk Member

Racing Capital of the World(Speedway, IN)
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Indiana also issues a license to carry, not a concealed license and open carry is legal as long as you have a license. I open carry very rarely. Depends if i'm just going out to store real quick and dont feel like dressing around the gun. I'll just put it on my hip and go. No problems at all so far. In fact, most don't even notice. As long as you are legally allowed to carry, have at it a few times to see how it goes. If you're legal, you're legal.

6. Tercel89

Tercel89 XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0

Yeah you have to have a permit to do so . I believe in open carry , but lots dont .I am a police officer myself and i will tell you this , most officers have no idea that you can open carry with a permit in Tn.. I have seen officers make lots of mistakes and such and not even understand that open carry by a PERMIT HOLDER is even allowed. I am a LEO but i still have a permit myself just in case i decide to quit Law enforcement. I encourage it , but only to those who are responsible. You have those few who go out looking for trouble , just to get to "draw" there weopon. They make the rest look bad , you know? I say its good to open carry but just be carefull for people may want to run up and steal your gun . Just rememeber that its exsposed and there . Also , for people like me on the job , i may get a call about " a man with a gun " . I May have to go up to you and verify that you have a permit . If i do or another good officer does , be patient and I/He will check you out and then let you go ASAP! But just remmeber , there are lots of policemen out there that are "uneducated" about this and i guess you have to be patient with them , but if all else fails and you get into a situation that you feel is unacceptable, ask for their Seagent or supervisor to come out .

7. happygunner

happygunner XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I feel the less people see the better. When you really need your handgun thats when it's time to make it seen.:)

8. Mephis

Mephis XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0

I open carry when I'm at friend's houses or outside at one of my friend's apartment complexes.

Everywhere else I'll just stick the gun in the car's glove box if I don't feel like concealing that day. I wouldn't walk into a gas station open carrying though, it's a bit inconsiderate.

9. jeepinbanditrider

Ratings:
    +1 / 0

How so? I do it a bunch of times a week and no one could really care less.

10. beakersloco

beakersloco XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Well .. I believe he means thats its inconsiderate ... by the number of gas stations that get robbed etc. or at least in my neck of the woods ..but that would depend on the area .... would not want a clerk freaking out and hitting the button. In Greenville we have had several gas stations robbed over the past few months so I imagine if I open carried the clerks might freak out(especially since the times I am out and about are during the times most of the robberies have occurred). Just recently (2 weeks ago)a store was robbed and the clerk was shot(he survived) then a few days later the store on the opposite corner was robbed.

Eventually Im gonna have to meet you jeep. I am typically in j-ville about once a month or once every 2 months. Typically when I do come down I don't leave without visiting the Mai Tai restuarant.

11. Lucky Strike

Lucky Strike XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm not sure about the open carry laws in oregon...i think it's legal but even if it were i don't think i'd feel comfortable doing so.

i'm mexican american and there are plenty of folks here that are unhappy with immigration laws who would likely be very quick to call the cops about the "mexican with a gun".

12. jeepinbanditrider

Ratings:
    +1 / 0

www.opencarry.org

13. Lucky Strike

Lucky Strike XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Not sure if i'm interpreting that correctly but does that mean that as a soon to be (only a month away) CHL holder i'll soon be allowed to open carry even in the cities that have banned open carry like portland and salem?