Okay whats really the most permanent way to color the engravings on slide.

Discussion in 'XD Gunsmithing and Maintenance' started by 1simpson1, Jan 23, 2012.

1. 1simpson1

1simpson1 XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have seen all three ways done with crayon, laquer, and nail polish. I have heard both good and bad things about each. This seems like a relatively new idea and i want to know who has had experience with each when going to the range and how it holds up over time. I really just want to do the most permanent choice and not have to worry about doing it once a month. Thanks for any insights.
    Good shooting :D

2. misfit

misfit XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I use car touch up paint and it works pretty slick so far.

3. APDturbo

APDturbo XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    duracoat

4. Disturbed

Disturbed XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Well of course there are more permanent ways, but those ways also cost a lot more and usually require a professional to do... ur missing the key point with the crayons, nail polish, and lacquer... There a cheap, and easy way to color ur engravings... that u can do urself in a short amount of time, honestly the easiness and quickness it can be done makes the touch ups worth it, and the savings also...

5. Se2002

Se2002 XDTalk 3K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    Left mine as is, pretty permanent.

What did you find negative about the nail polish?

6. 1simpson1

1simpson1 XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks for all the quick replies guys. I understand the point of the crayons and such being simple and easy with the possibility of reversing whenever you want back to stock. I liked the nail polish idea but i had seen some video tutorials where the guy was saying that the heating up and cooling down process seemed the "chip" out slowly and he had to redo the job every few trips to the range. I appreciate the quick and easy way to do it but i am looking for a more permanent solution. Misfit I like the idea of car touch up paint seeing how its made for metal use. What did you do for a process with the car paint? Glob it on then clean off using some type of paint thinner or non acetone polish remover? Also i am going to look into some engine touch up paint seeing how it is made to withstand high temps.

7. misfit

misfit XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    i use the same technique they use for fingernail polish. glob it on, wipe it off, and use remover to clean up. mine had acetone in it though. i used very light pressure to clean up.
    It's better than buying fingernail polish lol.

8. chameleon

chameleon XDTalk 4K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Car paint still requires a prep surface to adhere to. I imagine it would begin to have the same effects of cracking and such pretty quickly.

9. 1simpson1

1simpson1 XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    okay thanks for the update. Im gonna look into some high temp bbq paint to see what that might do. cant find any white tho. only black.:-x

10. nateebobo

nateebobo XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    how about ceramic engine paint. made to withstand high temps, lots of colors, comes in a spray bomb

11. l67coooled

l67coooled XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Just a heads up, if you do buy high temp paint you may have to bake it on to dry. I sprayed a pipe about 10 years ago and didn't bake it, well its still wet to this day... I'd use auto paint if I were going to consider doing such a job.

12. SlowShooter

SlowShooter XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I've been thinking about this also.
    Crayons and lacquer sticks wont last, even enamel paint will quickly dissolve away if you clean with RemOil or similar light solvent.

I've discovered that Xylene paint markers are the most permenant paint available for this task, that can easily be done at home. Many colors available. after a few months, my colored engravings are still holding-up fine, even when cleaning with RemOil.

I've got a video about it on my YouTube channel if you want to see how I did it:
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjGNm0HJV7w]YouTube - Coloring painting firearm engravings with permanent paint marker[/ame]

Link for mobile: m.youtube.com/watch?v=EjGNm0HJV7w

This process uses Kroil as a solvent, so make sure you wipe off all the Kroil when done and re-oil with something gentler. I did this on several firearms now, a the main thing to watch out for is the rubbing process (to remove excess from around the engraving): rub too hard or too much may wear-thin some older (weaker) finishes (I have not had a problem, but just warning you).
    But I've done this on several guns now, and so far so good...

13. SubcompactXDMan

SubcompactXDMan XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Here's my walkthrough and thoughts on nail polish...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KO8aIp2QTvo]Springfield XD/XDM Walk-Through Coloring Engravings - YouTube[/ame]

14. 1simpson1

1simpson1 XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I dont think baking would be too much of a problem for the ceramic engine paint but thanks for the heads up on that. That xylene paint sounds like a good idea. thanks for the video.