Oh Joy, Oh Joy - Savage 93R17BTVS .17 Hmr

Discussion in 'Photo Gallery' started by Straight-Shooter, Oct 19, 2006.

1. Straight-Shooter

Straight-Shooter XDTalk 500 Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    For me that is but i'm not so sure about the gophers and ground hogs. I picked
    up this yesterday. Since their still not in stock most places I had to drive about 80 miles each way to get it. Well worth it to me though. I was kinda of taken back when I got to the store and seen that's it's the dark brown color and not the lighter blonde color i'm used to seeing in the pictures on the net. Makes it kind of unique and besides that, I like it ! From what I've read this hummer should really rock! :cool:

[​IMG]

2. Nerves

Nerves XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Great looking! Please tell us how does she shot? Range Report...

3. jonny4523

jonny4523 XDTalk 2K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Oh my!!! That's beatiful!

4. chupacabrachus

chupacabrachus XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    YES! Excellent choice. I'm a huge advocate of these rifles. Let me preemptively make a range report for you:

Took the .17 to the range this afternoon and wow. It's amazing. 1/4" groupings at 100 yards. Best rifle ever for ~300 (assuming you got it for around 300+). :-D

5. Straight-Shooter

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I will take it to the range this weekend and report back. I got this for one heck of a deal actually. I signed up at Dick's sporting goods for their credit card and also their points program which give me money off and then used a coupon and got $60 all together off the price. Which then with tax added it came to $275. Didn't do too shabby on this one. The accu-trigger on this is like butter. Savage definately shocked the market when they did this to their rimfires. I can't wait to get out and shoot it.

6. jeff221

jeff221 XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    That's a great looking rifle...

I'm not a fan of .17 due to the fact that .22 is so cheap to shoot.

But, this gun is beautiful, nevertheless...

7. Straight-Shooter

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have to agree with you Jeff on the price of the ammo. I already have a nice .22 rifle that I use to plink with for fun after the big fun at the range is done. I'm gonna wait for a good sale this winter to happen on .17 ammo and just buy some in bulk. Then when the mood strikes I can play with this beauty 50 rounds at a time at the range. :) I'm also hoping in the future that maybe the .17 ammo will drop in price too. It's just still too new on the market and the costs are reflecting that.

8. chupacabrachus

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    I wouldn't expect much more of a drop in .17 prices.. They've already dropped since it was introduced.

9. nightraider

nightraider XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The price of 17HMR doesnt bother me as I rarely go through more than one box in one session. I practice accuracy and breathing techniques with it and being its a bolt action, I don't go through many rounds.

All my semi-auto's, like the AR and 10/22 eat alot though.

10. Straight-Shooter

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My thinking exactly NightRaider but I definately know what you mean about burning through ammo with the 22 and AR. Thankfully the 22 ammo is cheap and the I reload the 223 for the AR. I figured about $8.50 a box of 50 for the AR which isn't too unreasonable to make alot of noise! :p

11. Straight-Shooter

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    New Scope just installed tonight. It's a Mueller APV 4.5-14x40 AO scope. Clarity is definately above par but not comparing it to a high dollar leupold but very acceptable. I haven't had a chance yet to shoot this but from the initial look and feel of it, I should be very happy with this setup.

12. Straight-Shooter

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Well I finally got it to the range. First off I was a little worried because the wind was above what I would have like today. It was around 15 mph and gusting at times to around 30 mph. Before every shot I just waited till the wind was at a minimum and quickly got it sighted in at 50 yards. It was shooting small enough groups to cover with a quarter. I then backed up to 100 yards and fine tuned the elevation setting on the scope for that range and made a pattern you could cover with a silver dollar but not without a occasional flyer. I'm suspecting wind but not really sure at this point. I then setup some empty shotgun hulls at 100 yards and tore the crud out of them with no problem.

I've seen better from a .17hmr from other shooters where i shoot but I'm still quite impressed. Especially with having to deal with the wind. Now that I got the first outing with this gun out of my system, I can wait for a calmer day and really get to see what this can do. In any event, I'm sure this gun shoots better than I do.

Oh, before I forget. The Mueller APV scope is sweet!!! I set the yardage for the paralax setting on the scope at 100 yards and the view was magnificent. Seemed very consistent with different magnifications also with no noticable variation on the path of the bullet. I give it a huge thumbs up.

13. nightraider

nightraider XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Sounds good. The accuracy on my Savage 17HMR has improved over time and I'm sure yours will also. I have found that these particular Savage's like their barrels pretty clean, so keep that in mind.

14. Paul

Paul XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I have read that this is the case with .17HMR firearms.

15. chupacabrachus

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Mine generally doesn't shoot too great for about 5 shots after just being cleaned. After that it's a tack driver. I then do not clean the bbl. until I can find time to (which if I've been hunting, that may only be 2-5 rounds later.