Springfield XD Forum banner

Of the .308 's what AR/10 would YOU get and why?

18K views 44 replies 20 participants last post by  waynes_world_45 
#1 ·
Just wanted some feedback on it and see what you really think. I shot a DPMS panther .308 with the stainless bull barrel and all I can say is WOW!
Very nice shooting gun.

#2 ·
I own a Fulton armory FAR 15 and it's SWEET. For $934 delivered it friggin rocks! The barrel is made by Douglas. The fit and finish is magnificent and each gun is bench built for you. The gun is just plain tight and accurate.

I would really think about a Fulton Armory Titan if it were me choosing because of my experience with my FAR 15. The .308 comes with a Kreiger barrel too . . .

Fulton Armory FAR.308 Titan

AR10's to build or buy aren't cheap though.

#4 ·
AR stands for Armalite.

#5 ·
#14 ·
I have a DPMS 308B (18" fluted bull barrel, miculek comp, jp adjustable trigger, oversized safety selector, ace fixed stock, free float 4 rail, back up iron sights, etc.) So why DPMS, they have a great fit and finish - they make what you want to your specs and do a great job! Mine shoots great! I may order a 308L - lightweight with comp, etc.

I think the Armalights are overpriced for what you get.

The M1As are great, but I like my AR more.

Chapie+

Just wanted some feedback on it and see what you really think. I shot a DPMS panther .308 with the stainless bull barrel and all I can say is WOW!
Very nice shooting gun.

#16 ·
Armalite AR10 +1 I would never part with mine.8)
I don't have an Armalite AR10. And I don't blame you for not wanting to part with yours. I've shot an Armalite 5.56mm and wasn't as impressed with it as I am with my DPMS 5.56.

But you know, I think you'll do well with either one. I like the DPMS and the ability to order it with all sorts of options. I also like the fit and finish.

Chapie+

#18 ·
I don't have an Armalite AR10. And I don't blame you for not wanting to part with yours. I've shot an Armalite 5.56mm and wasn't as impressed with it as I am with my DPMS 5.56.

But you know, I think you'll do well with either one. I like the DPMS and the ability to order it with all sorts of options. I also like the fit and finish.

Chapie+
Yeah i know what you mean. I did not like mine at first. But after about 800 rounds she runs like a champ. I have to think a lot of my problems was because it was 40 below the first time i took her to the range. I had to figure what type of lube to use. Now at those temps i use a blend of Mobil 1 and Slick 50.

#19 ·
AR stands for Armalite.
Armalite of today is not Armalite. Armalite went out of business a long time ago. Eagle arms purchased the rights to the AR 10 and the Armalite name and hence Armalite was reborn. Eagle arms is a lower end AR maker and Armalite is not the company you think it is.

I do have 2 Armalite AR10's but both had issues that needed to be worked out.

The Ar10 T. I had it rebarrelled by GA Precision and not it shoots much better. I installed a KAC trigger so it would not double. I also added the Magpul stock and the Ergo grip.

The carbine had ejection issues until I upgraded the extractor and Ejector springs.

Pat

#20 ·
Here some things you should know about .308 AR's.

- Armalite owns the AR-10 names. Everyone can call their rifle a AR15, but only Armalite is allowed to call their rifle an AR-10. They own the name. Yes it is retarded I know.

- DPMS .308's uses KAC SR-25 mags.

- Armalite AR-10's uses modified M14 mags.

- RRA .308 uses FAL mags.

- Noveske .308 uses Armalite uppers and lowers.

- Fulton Armory uses DPMS uppers and lowers.

- Armalite uppers and lowers are forged. DPMS are extruded 6066 Aluminum.

- Armalite comes with a lifetime warranty. DPMS comes with a 3 year warranty.

- Armalite has chrome lined barrels (unless you get the AR-10T or SuperSASS, both come with SS barrels). DPMS does not have a CL option.

- Armalite has M4 feed ramps

- Armalite 16" comes with a middy gas system

- Armalite does not have a front site, only a picatanny gas block

- DPMS has forward assist, Armalite does not.

- Armalite base AR-10's retails for $1500 and has no sites. Base DPMS retails go for $1100 and come with sites.

- Both comes with options to be chambered in something else, such has .338 Rem or .243 WSM.

- The Canadian Military uses the the current Amalite AR-10 that is available to me and you.

- Armalite GenII mags, the current ones are ultra reliable and makes FTF issues a thing of the past.

- Armalite's new bolt design makes FTE issues a thing of the past.

- Newer AR-10 upper receivers comes with a groove for the mag release.

DPMS and Armalite both make good rifles, you won't be dissapointed with either. If you are on a budget, DPMS is the way to go. If you are a juice drinker that likes brag to your friends that your uppers are forged, then buy Armalite.

#22 ·
I myself was never sold on the AR-10. When I first saw them, they sure seem to crap out a lot. But with the new bolt and magazine design, the AR-10 is now just as reliable as any other AR. I got to sample a buddies AR-10, and after shooting it, I went out and bought my own. I now have 2 and even during break in both have been flawless with all types of ammo. I just run them wet.

Here was the AR-10 I got to sample:

Here are my 2 AR-10's.
Top is a 20" SuperSASS with SS barrel, NM 2-stage trigger, PRS stock, PRI gas busting charging handle, adjustable gas system, and Leupold Mark IV.
Bottom one is 16" with chrome lined infantry weight barrel. Decked out with Eotech, MI sights, SP sling, and Samson FF rails.

#24 ·
Thanks guys!
I'll let ya know:D

#25 ·
I have one of the older 10B's in the A2 version, 20" barrel. It has worked very well for me, and I love the darn thing. I don't think that you could go wrong with the DPMS either, FWIW.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.