"Not Legal in Cailfornia"

Discussion in 'M1911' started by PreacherRodgers, Mar 13, 2012.

1. PreacherRodgers

PreacherRodgers XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I was at a local gun shop and looked at a SA 1911 it had a "not legal in cali" sticker on it :confused: It came with two eight-round mags. Those are obviously not hi-cap so what's the deal. I don't live in cali so it dosen't make any difference to me but it did make me curious.
    thanks

2. mhen

mhen XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Cali has alot more regs than just the high cap. I believe a new one is that they must have a magazine disconnect safety, and I believe that is why the XDm line isn't legal in Cali even with >10 round mags. As I understand it, guns designed before the law was passed are exempt.

3. FJ40Jay

FJ40Jay XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I may be wrong, but they have to pass Cali tests and be on a cali approved list to be legal.

4. adam.w.mcghee

adam.w.mcghee XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
  5. Old4Eyes

Old4Eyes XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +21 / 0
  6. PreacherRodgers

PreacherRodgers XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Looks like the disconect and the loaded chamber indicator. I don't like using strong language but those people are Idiots

No offence to the normal people stuck in that usless state.

7. Helpdesk9

Helpdesk9 XDTalk 20K Member

Ratings:
    +419 / 13
    It causes cancer..thats why

8. yocan

yocan XDTalk 10K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +141 / 2
    in cali they hvae to test each color combo, yes they really do. hence why some models of the xd are not legal in cali either.

cali sucks. may I never be forced to go there for more than a few months at a time.

9. Bigcarlover

Bigcarlover XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I didn't think anything in California was legal. Except for getting scholorships even though mommy and daddy climbed a fence to get in.

10. krob2299

krob2299 XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    usually when it says "not legal in california" means its awesome. and I need to have it.

11. Clint_Beastwood

Clint_Beastwood XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Here's the deal, as far as I know, with CA DOJ Roster of approved handguns, there is a list of approved handguns that were grandfathered in (models without mag disconnects, etc.) before the roster and now manufacturers have to pay a fee annually for each model they would like to keep on the roster. Also, manufacturers wishing to add a new model, or post-roster model, have to have stuff like a mag disconnect, chamber indicator, and a few other things. These off-roster handguns are not illegal to own in the state of CA but are not legal for sale, go figure. One example of the arbitrary nature of the law includes: The Kimber Warrior is legal for sale but the Kimber Desert Warrior is not, it is essentially the same firearm, but because it has a different model number which is not on the roster, it is not legal for sale.

12. GT Jon

GT Jon XDTalk 10K Member

Ratings:
    +306 / 9
    Glad I decided to stay away and live in a free state. ;)

13. pietro_beretta

pietro_beretta XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I am just glad Ruger has went a new direction with their firearms, ever since bill passed. They used to pander to the CA DOJ to make sure all their firearms could be sold in the state -- now they don't care as much.

I moved out of California a year ago to get away from those laws, also the fact California doesn't know how to NOT spend money they don't have. Cites are going into chapter 9 bankruptcy for crying out loud!

If I remember right there may be a way to get around the roster; if you have a parent that lives in another state where the Ruger SR-1911 is sold, if he bequeaths it to you when he dies, I believe you can bring it in the state, you just have to fill out a form for the DOJ -- I think that worked at one time, but the laws change so much I don't remember anymore -- I erased all the firearm laws from my brain to make room for more important things once I moved. :p

14. Clint_Beastwood

Clint_Beastwood XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0

It doesn't have to be inheritance when a parent dies, all you need to do is fill out the CA DOJ forms for Intrafamilial transfer and transfer through an FFL, which can only be between son/daughter/parent/grandparent, so no uncles, cousins, etc. I believe off-roster handguns are exempt when acquired through an Intrafamilial transfer.

Some people in CA get off-roster handguns like the XDm through other loop holes like the Single Shot firearm exemption, wherein the firearm must be converted (temporary conversion) to a single shot configuration, SSE forms filed, and transferred through an FFL, and when it is registered and you own it you can replace the original parts and convert it back to normal.

Single Shot Exemption SSE

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=383692

15. Ridge

Ridge XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +75 / 3
    California is such a funny place... I had a customer call the other day and I had to go back in the warehouse to see if the packaging on a whistle said anything about being toxic in California. I read it to her and added jokingly that is said - Does not cause Cancer in California LOL