No sling shotting?

Discussion in 'XD-45ACP Discussion Room' started by remat457, Dec 16, 2012.

1. remat457

remat457 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I started a new thread because it is not 3.8 related. I see in the XDS area that a lot of folks are saying that chambering via sling shot causes the pistol to jam. They cite the manual which says to use the slide lock. The XDM manual pdf I just looked at does say that but does not preclude sling shot.

I sling shot and have no plans to change. So, is this an XD/XDM problem in your guys' experience?

Thanks for the input!

2. Philthy

Philthy XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My buddy has put 300 rounds through his, I have been there everytime he has shot it. No problems! But I will preface that out of the box it did not want to return to battery. We cleaned it up, made sure the firing pin was clean and gave the slide a light coat of CLP. Then cycled it several times. Then it was fine and ready for the range. Also if you want one in the pipe, then put in a mag nd release the slide. Then eject the mag and add a round. The extra tension of the ejector popping over the round will keep the slide back just out of battery. So load all rounds from the magazine. At least that is our experience with the one we picked up last month. BTW I love that gun, can't believe how accurate I am with it. I guess I should be clear when racked by hand or by slide release it has chambered every time, since initial disassembly.

Definitely an XDs and a 3.8 XDm .45 in my near future.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2012
  3. remat457

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks for the feedback. Sling shot (at least in my head) refers to racking the slide and chambering without using the slide lock. I would never chamber a round without using a magazine, it's hard on the extractor for no reason. I do not top off the mag after chambering.

4. Carn723

Carn723 XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Seems weird if I am understanding correctly. Would think it makes no difference using slide lock or not as it is producing the same motion unless I miss read and am not understanding correctly.

5. Cuda66

Cuda66 XDTalk 10K Member

Kandiyohi County, MN--land of fields and lakes.
    Ratings:
    +51 / 0
    Some people will ride the slide slightly, preventing the slide from going forward with enough force to chamber a round. However, the XDs seems to have issues with this even when people ARE doing it correctly.

That being said...I really think any pistol that can't be slingshotted reliably is suffering from a design flaw. The one nice thing about the slingshot method is that it should work on ANY auto--no searching for a slide release on an unfamiliar pistol.

This problem does seem to extend to the XD/XDm line. I slingshotted the slides on both my XD45 and XDm 40 with no issues.

6. fredj338

fredj338 XDTalk 10K Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    I doubt it. Properly done, "slingshotting" is the same action as hitting the slide release. It's how I run all my semiautos, then I never have to look fo the slide release when switching guns. I run an XDTAC in IDPA, it gets a lot of reload work & I never use the slide release.

7. Sublimeon24s

Sublimeon24s XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    only time I really slingshot is after re-assembling the gun when done cleaning, to chamber a rd of my SD ammo before it goes back in the car / bedstand. At the range I always use the slide release when inserting a new mag, since the slide is locked back anyways from the last empty one. Whenever i have used the slingshot route, Ive never had any problem in either XDM........now, off to the range for me, might come home with a XDs or a M&P shield!

8. cjd3

cjd3 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm a lefy, and I always rack the slide (I don't slingshot, I grab the serrations behind the ejection port) since the slide lock is awkward to use with your pointer finger. I see nothing wrong doing this since your doing what a fired round does, just a bit slower. I've never had a problem doing this with my xdm nor my 1911.

9. TheXDude

TheXDude XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I've yet to see any evidence of anyone correctly racking a round with the XDS and having a misfeed. I have seen at least a few people claim they are doingitrite only to find out they are riding the slide.

I agree that a pistol that can't be slingshotted reliably has issues. Just haven't seen any of that with the XDS. Maybe some do have a problem with slingshotting but all I've seen is people who are doingitwrong.

The two XDS I've shot slingshotted perfectly with nothing unusual required.

Got a link or something where an XDS won't slingshot and the user is doingitrite?

10. Tawxdm9

Tawxdm9 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have never seen one little pistol generate so much controversy! I drop the slide and rack the slide ( left handed style) I am in the camp that if you do it correctly/ aggressively it will work every time. There seem to be a few lemons out there because I know some guys seem to be having problems no matter what they do.
    Clean the gun thoroughly ( I use Frog Lube )
    Run a couple hundred rounds through the gun
    Rack the slide aggressively
    Don't limp wrist
    Some suggest when the gun/mags are new to leave the mag 1 round short ( I don't do this on the XDs but works well with high capacity nines)
    If the gun still isn't working take it to a gunsmith or send it back.
    In my book the XDs is a good little gun and very accurate at combat distance.

11. fredj338

fredj338 XDTalk 10K Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Slingshotting properly is how a slide works, so anyone telling you diff is doing it wrong. DOn;t ride the slide home, it's the same as hitting the slide release.

12. remat457

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
  13. remat457

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I agree with everyone here that it should work regardless of what pistol. I have never had a problem with any pistol and appreciate all the input. For those interested or curious Magpul's Dynamic Handgun does a great job teaching it and explaining it 1000x better than I ever could.

The only reason I even bring it up is there is a thread on this forum (linked in my post above) where it caused a bit of chatter.

14. kabob

kabob XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I sling shot my XD-S all the time. The key is to push the frame forward with your shooting hand, then push back with the hand gripping the slide so that you're pulling the slide back all the way and not partially. Then let go of the slide before it starts moving forward back into battery. People that are having problems are usually trying to "force" the slide back, not realizing that the force they're applying is less than that of the recoil spring. Hence why Springfield recommends just pressing down on the slide-stop instead.

Same principle applies from a closed slide position when chambering a round. Let go of the slide, don't try to push it forward.

15. TheXDude

TheXDude XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I've read that thread and just reviewed it. It's several people complaining about the pistol not returning to battery while shooting. And, one guy saying the filthy, dry, range rental he used wouldn't feed properly when he racked it. His backup is a fool of a range officer who said he planned to immediately send it in for repair. :rolleyes: I don't call that evidence.