New XDS Owner Review

Discussion in 'XD-S Discussion Room' started by jhaddon84015, Jan 21, 2013.

1. jhaddon84015

jhaddon84015 XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I currently own a Kimber Ultra Eclipse II, Springfield XDM 5.25 9mm, and an XDS 45. I took my new XDS out to the range on Saturday for it’s first shoot. This is what I found that I like and don’t like about it so far.

Dis-Likes:
    I can’t sling shot a round into the chamber, every single time I attempt this the round goes straight up, like a stove pipe condition. To clear it I have to strip the magazine, lock the slide to the rear to get the round out. So to load, which so far has worked every time, I have to lock the slide to the rear insert loaded magazine, and press the slide release. I shot both Gold Dot 230’s, and 230 ball ammunition, both did this. This worries me if I ever have the issue where the slide doesn’t lock back after last round, I wouldn’t want to be in a reload situation where I am unable to sling shot a round if the slide didn’t lock back.
    The trigger has a lot to be desired, it has more than one stop as I pull, instead of a very clean pull to a stop, then clean break like my XDM has. This may resolve itself as I break it in.

I love how small and light it is compared to my 1911 which has been my EDC.
    It conceals easier than my 1911, I think this is more due to the holster I have for the XDS. Comp-Tac Minotaur MTAC, so far I love this holster.
    It is very accurate if you can get past the in my opinion less than desirable trigger. I was able to shoot it as accurately as my 1911.
    So far other than the sling shot issue, it has not malfunctioned at all. My 1911 took some work and about 600 rounds to become reliable, and it is only reliable if I feed it ammo it likes... kind of a picky beast.
    So far no issues with the slide not locking back.

Are there others that are seeing the sling shot issue as well, if so any work arounds?

2. KentB

KentB XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +16 / 0
    After a few hundred rounds all your dislikes will go away.

3. mchisesi

mchisesi XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I had the same issues when sling shotting a round out of the box (brand new). After I field stripped the gun and thoroughly cleaned it, the problem was less frequent but still happening. So I did some research and found that owners cautioned against "riding the slide" home. After altering my approach, I can now slingshot a round 100% of the time. In my case, and I'm guessing in most cases, it was operator error coupled with learning the intricacies of a new weapon. Hope this helps.

4. I_fish_n_shoot

I_fish_n_shoot XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I had read about not "riding the slide." When I was trying it out at home (empty mag and chamber of course) I pinched the snot out of my hand (I just knew that was gonna happen once). Everything was really tight when I bought it - I could barely get the slide release to move. First trip to the range I jammed it 3 different times. Glad the hubs was there to help me with that. Changed my approach as well and everything moves easier after 100 + rounds.

5. jhaddon84015

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm pretty positive that I didn't ride the slide at all, maybe I'm not quite getting it back all of the way when I've tried it. I'm going to give it a shot tonight. I've got about 150 rounds through it already. Cleaned and lubed it according to the book last night as well.

6. DJM_22

DJM_22 XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    +1 on the Comp-Tac Minotaur MTAC. Very good IWB holster. IMO

7. mchisesi

mchisesi XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    It's a pretty aggressive motion, which was new to me. My OWB carry (Sig220 or 228 ) is much easier to sling shot. I really had to "re-train" myself for this gun but like I said now I can do it 100%. Hopefully yours is the same and not a mechanical issue. Keep us posted...

8. MarkB

MarkB XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Get some snap caps and practice, practice, practice. That way you will work the slide and learn how to rack the slide. You can't be gentle. Rip it's head off and the rounds will eject.

9. walleyeking48

walleyeking48 XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I am also a new XDS owner. I was a little worried about all the bad reviews about the slide not locking when mag was empty, wear on the spring, fte, ect. I did a thourough cleaning before the range a nd noticed the slide was "tight". Also I noticed a little wear on the barrel from racking it. I have to admit after the range I am happy as ever. Not a single issue. The gun operated flawlessly. I don't have any issue making this my carry gun.

10. Souvie1958

Souvie1958 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    You will be able to sling shot a round after 500 rounds or so, unlike your 1911 this gun is not picky, but it is a beast. I have shot 4 different ones including mine, they are all super stiff out of the box, all ran out of the box with no issues but none you could slingshot untill broke in.

11. jhaddon84015

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I noticed that after I went to the range I can now sling shot a round. So the only gripe I have is the trigger which I'm getting used to.

12. 2tango2

2tango2 XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I noticed that too right away but after seeing numerous videos on youtube they all seem to show the same wear