New XDm 5.25 success in IDPA match

Discussion in 'Gun Games: Shooting Competition' started by hole_shot58, Aug 29, 2011.

1. hole_shot58

hole_shot58 XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Picked up the new XDm 9 Competition from S.A.W. at the gun show in Dallas last week and took it to Greenville, TX this weekend for my club's IDPA match. The stock trigger has quite a bit of travel and doesn't break as clean as my XD9 4", but I was able to place better overall than I've been doing nonetheless. I needed to adjust the rear site quite a bit using a bore laser, but now it is deadly accurate well beyond the 25 yards I need for IDPA. I don't have a way to measure backflip, but my double taps stayed pretty close together. I'll try to get to the farm soon and do a more scientific analysis.

Overall I'm very pleased. Even the bonus paddle holster is decent enough to get started, and with 3 mags included the gun kit sets you up for competition, all you need is ammo! A little skate tape from Academy cut to fit using a hand-made paper template really makes a diffference on the sides of the grip. I also discovered the large (#3) backstrap is closest to the outline of the service model, and feels very natural compared to either of the other sizes (I have large-ish hands).

By the way, I'm shooting 147gr FMJ loaded to about 930 fps or 10% over min. power factor for ESP. Not exactly bunny farts, but importantly there were no problems cycling the sub-sonic load. Also have put a couple boxes of Federal 115gr through with no troubles.

Now I'm contemplating which trigger kit to put on it, and I like the idea of using a laquer pen to fill the engraving on the slide. Anxious to hear other feedback on new 5.25 purchases!

2. dust717

dust717 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Great to hear the 5.25 worked great for you! I know that the SA Custom Shop can put a sweet trigger job on all your XD's. It will cut that travel and reset. I use 115 gr with no issues. All the XD/XDm's I have eat up any ammo I feed it.

Now I do think that the ".25" part put you over the 5 in rule for IDPA. Sill waitin on hearing back on that but as it stands now its a IPSC/USPSA gun.

3. fredj338

fredj338 XDTalk 10K Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    There is no 5" bbl rule in IDPA for ESP guns, it just has to fit the box; see the IDPA rule book pg 21. If the gun fits inside the 8 3/4"X6" box, you should be fine.

4. Gryff

Gryff XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Agreed. There are no barrel length limits for IDPA (other than cone barrels in 1911s). If it fits in the box, it's legal. And the 5.25" is definitely legal!

5. hole_shot58

hole_shot58 XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm reading what I can find to see how Springer, PRP and SA compare on XDm trigger jobs. Also willing to try a little gentle "polishing" to improve the feel.

As to rules, there sure would be a different mix of Glocks out there if the 34 (5.32" barrel) wasn't IDPA legal!

6. REL1203

REL1203 XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I would like to add, i shot in my 2nd IDPA match this weekend, first time with my new 5.25XDM, and granted I am unclassified for the time being, i beat out the 7 other people in ESP Unclassified that all have been doing this way longer. Had i been a Marksmen (which is what i consider myself), i still would have come in 1st place, but only by 2 points. I am EXTREMELY happy with my 5.25 once i put a Powder River Precision Ultimate match trigger in it. Its just damn good.