New XD(m) purchase... Need some advice.

Discussion in 'XD-M Discussion Room - XD(M)' started by GameOver620, May 29, 2012.

1. GameOver620

GameOver620 XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm heading to my first gun show in a couple of weeks in Ft. Lauderdale and the only thing I know is that I would like to walk out with a brand new XD(m).

From what I've read on this site and others I'm leaning a little more towards a 4.5" 9mm. This will be my first gun purchase and I'm looking for something that I can mainly take to the range and sharpen/build my skills with and for protection. I do not plan on conceal carrying the weapon.

Can you guys give me some advice on;
    What I should look to pay at a gun show?
    Which barrel length is best for what I'm looking to do?
    Which caliber is preferable?
    What are some good accessories (i.e. extra mags or light/laser attachments) to have?

2. Ridge

Ridge XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +20 / 1
    Welcome from Ohio. From what you say you want, this sounds like a great option/caliber.

I like to look up going prices on several websites right before I go to a show.

You'll want extra mags and lots of ammo for sure. Everything else, you can decide as you go.

3. Snaphook

Snaphook XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    As far as pricing, you're looking at new, right? Bitone or black?

I suggest staying with the 4.5 since you're not going to carry it. I have 2 XDm's, a 4.5 in 45 and the 3.8 compact in 9mm. I like the 45 better for home defense and in general think it's a far better round but it is very pricey to shoot. So I would suggest the 9mm as you can get very good deals on ammo.

Get extra mags. I have a laser / light on my 45 and like the light but shoot for crap with the laser (my fault 100%, just don't like it).

As far as prices on everything, check Buds for what they are selling it for keeping in mind that with them you pay more to get it to you and their prices are for money orders +3% for credit cards. Also check Springfield's website for mags, everything is on sale right now.

Good luck!

4. JayBo1001

JayBo1001 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Agree with the above. Check the internet sites and know the shipping, tax, credit card uplift, and the FFL transfer fee and know what you get it for online. I assume they will need to charge tax at the show so that could offset the shipping charges. I was just checking around last week and best pricing and availability I could find was sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore

I also agree that 9mm is great because, believe me, ammo adds up fast. My first handgun was a 45 bought for home defense, but after about 2k rounds at the range, I decided buying the 9mm would pay for itself pretty quick in ammo savings. Plus I've learned the more XDm's the better.

I think the 4.5 is a good bet also, or even the 5.25 which I love.

5. Brownie65

Brownie65 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I like to check galleryofguns.com for prices. They seem to have pretty competitive deals. I agree with more mags. I like to load a few before shooting. However, the ammo seems to not last as long ;-)

You can't always get what you want, but if you try you get what you need.

6. ngp960608

ngp960608 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm thinking of buying to same gun...hopefully soon. I have a 4.5 .45 but would like a 9mm for ammo reasons too. Let us know if you get one and $$

7. richeyo2

richeyo2 XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The 4.5" 9mm would be a great range H/D pistol. I own a XDm 9mm 3.8" & 5.25", the 5.25" is my range toy which you might look into also if you're mainly using for range. I agree w/above about looking around on the web to ge an idea of price. I would recomend walking around the show & look at all the vendors & talk with before you make a decision.
    Good luck!

8. Down_range

Down_range XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Any XDM is a GREAT choice for a first weapon! Also the guy is correct about you wanting more mags. If you make your choice 100% now, midwayusa has mags for 24 bucks!( regularly 27+ on that site) Beats paying 34+ tax/shipping directly from Springfield and they ARE the same orignal Mfg. mags. The sale has been all month long, and ends on the 31st. I picked up a few extra myself from them. If you hurry and take advantage of the sale, you can order a few extra mags AND combine shipping on them. And then use the money saved for extra ammo, TRUST me you're GONNA need it lol.

9. jeremy9mmXDm

jeremy9mmXDm XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I got the xdm9 4.5 and love it! paid 600 at gun show! It is my EDC,range,and HD weapon(my everything)!Carry it all day in a CBST and it is very comfortable! diffidently shop the whole gun show before you purchase anything!

10. GameOver620

GameOver620 XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks for the advice! I am leaning toward the bi-tone 4.5" 9mm.

Should all new purchases of xdm's whether it be online or at show come with the case and accessories like it shows on the Springfield website?

11. Ridge

Ridge XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +20 / 1
    Yes. Slight changes depending on model... At least two mags and other accesories. The compact has one each of the 13 round and 19 round. The 5.25 comes with 3 of the 19 round mags.

12. CCRAYJR

CCRAYJR XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Welcome from Alabama! I just posted the same thing several weeks ago. I went to the gun show to purchase an XDm 3.8 9mm Compact in all black. I did a good bit of google price shopping and went ot the gun show. Was not impressed at the gun show with the prices, but I finally met a nice LGS owner who was displaying at the show. I told him I was buying a gun today and he had what I wanted at his LGS, so I went there from the show. After a little more haggling, I purchased my XDm 3.8 9mm Compact in all Black for $569 + tax. Do your homework on pricing... I was thrown numbers from $679 at the show, which was crazy high pricing! Also, if you pay in cash... you save a few % for credit card fees!!
    Good Luck!!

13. 2ndAmFan

2ndAmFan XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I think you are looking at the right gun for your purposes for the same reason as previously stated in others posts.

My LGS(Central Ohio) currently has 4.5" XD(m)9s on sale for $539+tax add $50 for bitone.

When I buy anything I prefer to support local businesses.If prices are in line.I have found gun shows and the internet to offer no better prices than my LGSs.Especially if they are independents and not big box stores.Now I have had to say "I can order one from XYZ for this price.Can you beat it?".Quite often they are negotiable just like a gun show.They know what they are going for and any good business knows they have to be competitive(they also know when a gunshow is coming to town).Just be honest about the best deal you can find and that you are looking to buy today. You may be surprised at the results.They also know they have a local reputation to worry about.I like being able to go back and ask questions if need be after the sale too.

Enjoy the gunshow but consider your best deal may be just down the street.

14. NeverEnoughGuns27

NeverEnoughGuns27 XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Welcome from Wyoming, I just bought the Xdm 9mm 4.5 in Bitone and have not yet shot it, but I'm glad I spent the few extra dollars to get it in Bitone!

15. JBubbs

JBubbs XDTalk 3K Member

Ratings:
    +27 / 0
    I'd agree you are looking at the right gun if you aren't going to carry at all. I just picked up a plain XD 9mm at my local shop. I had to haggle with them on price and ended up paying $20 more than it would have cost me online. But then I didn't have to wait a week or two and I supported local business (which I do anyway with ammo)