New Windham Weaponry carbine! Suggestions for break-in?

Discussion in 'AR Talk' started by Gulftanker, Feb 12, 2012.

1. Gulftanker

Gulftanker XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Just picked up my new WW (R16M4A4T) carbine on Monday! This is my first AR purchase. This model seems to have most, if not all, of the features of higher priced ARs: Well made M4 feed ramps, chrome lined 4150 steel barrel, 5.56 chamber, properly staked bolt key, shrouded firing pin, etc. Paid $905 out the door.

I've heard many schools of thought regarding a proper break-in for chrome lined vs standard barrels. Some even recommended cleaning the bore between each shot. I'd like to hear from you AR freaks: How would you recommend breaking in the new rifle?

Thanks in advance!

2. Chamberlain

Chamberlain XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Congrats on your purchase! I was looking at buying a bushmaster a couple months ago and was deeply disappointed to learn that they are no longer made at the original factory in Maine (company got sold to Remington's parent company who then shut down the small-town original factory). Very interested to hear how well the Windham Weapons ARs work out...you can bet yours was made by experts, in America, by a company with integrity. Would like to hear a range report once you get it broken in!

3. mvician

mvician XDTalk 5K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +62 / 0
    Just swab the barrel out to make sure it is clean to start and then just go shoot it.

4. AKDoug

AKDoug XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    This is a fighting weapon. Barrel break-in is of no importance. Clean it from the factory, lube it, shoot the hell out of it... repeat.

5. Gulftanker

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I know I'm probably being overly protective at the start, but I'll loosen up a bit after a few trips to the range and a couple of scratches on the rifle!

Will a bore guide work with the flash suppressor? It seems like a bore snake is the best cleaning option to protect the rifling.

6. Mercmar

Mercmar XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +14 / 0
    In my humble opinion, Bore Snakes are just about worthless. If you ever have one break off/get stuck in the bore, you'll discover that they're less-than worthless.

An AR bore guide replaces the bolt carrier group, so whatever you have on the muzzle is irrelevant. I'm happy to hear that those guys are building quality ARs in the old Bushmaster plant. Thankfully, when I bought my first AR many moons ago, a really wise person advised me to buy a Bushmaster, instead of a Colt, which would have only cost me $50 more at the time.

Thousands of rounds later, and my Bushy never fails. I've never seen a Colt at our local range that would outshoot my Bushy.

Bushmaster's advice on "breaking in" their chrome-lined barrels was to run a coupla-hundred fmj rounds through it before cleaning the bore. (after the initial cleaning, of course.) I lube my ARs and other firearms exclusively with Mobil 1, 15W50. It won't cook off like inferior, so-called firearms specialty lubes.

7. slugger6

slugger6 XDTalk 90K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +709 / 32
    Let me know how you like it. I am seriously thinking of buying one myself.

8. treehugger49

treehugger49 XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Keep her lubed and clean the barrel when you get a chance after shooting and she'll run just fine.

9. richeyo2

richeyo2 XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My DPMS said to do the clean after each shot for like the first 50-100rds and I followed the directions and everyone at the range picked and said it was over kill. Don't know for sure but did what was recomended by the factory & made me feel better anyway. As far as using a boresnake I'm not a big fan but have used during high volume shooting for quick barrel wipe down at the range. Congrats on new purchase, enjoy & do what makes yoy feel best!

10. firechase

firechase XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Get the cleaning kit specific to your rifle "AR15 field cleaning kit", give it a once over and some CLP and go shooting

11. Mercmar

Mercmar XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +14 / 0
    The late Gale McMillan, who probably knew more about barrels than anybody on Earth, said that the "shoot one/clean" break-in was pure b.s.

Besides, I can't imagine that anybody would recommend that break-in for a chrome-lined barrel.

12. williewvr

williewvr XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I clean after every range trip. 1 round or 1000. Clp, Walmart cleaning kit, and a piece of coat hanger with the ends beat flat for a carbon scraper.

13. Gulftanker

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Well, I broke her in by cleaning the bore, lightly oiling, and popping 60 downrange in slow groups of three, letting the barrel cool a few minutes between groups. I'm very pleased with the results. First shot was on the circle at about 10:00. Five *clicks* later I was knocking out the center. Perfect function, as well.

14. treehugger49

treehugger49 XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Lightly oiling the barrel is a good idea for storage, but if you're going shooting you'd be better off swabbing the oil out of the barrel for your first cold bore shot.

15. Gulftanker

Ratings:
    +0 / 0

I worded that a bit wrong. I meant the action was lightly oiled. The barrel was nice and clean. ;)