New Weapon for USPSA\IDPA

Discussion in 'General SA-XD/XD(M) Talk' started by biggmike, Jun 4, 2009.

1. biggmike

biggmike XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Hello my fellow XDrs. I need some advice. I have a XDm 9MM and a XD40 service and I shoot a lot of USPSA\IDPA. With the price and shortage of 9mm\40S&W ammo, I'm looking for a .22lr solution. I did some research and the Sig P226 USPSA or Blackwater models caught my eye. I especially like the .22lr conversion system i can buy as an add on. With that being said I have a few questions:

1. Is there a .22lr conversion anywhere for the XD or XDm. I am 99% sure there isn't but i have to ask. I know I could move to Glock but I owned Glocks before and they just didn't work for me. Nothing against them but the sight picture and grip angle drove me crazy.

2. I know a lot of guys in the blogs own Sig's as well. What are you guys thought on the Sig P226 or P220. I have shot and carry the P229 for work. I'm in the Coast Guard. So I like the Sig but as soon as I get in the truck out comes the XD. I want to know about carrying the Sig 24/7. Is it easy to conceal, are there any problems with heat in the summer time. General information like that would be nice.

3. Is there any other pistol/.22lr combos out there that any of you use to keep in practice with?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2009
  2. Cannibul

Cannibul XDTalk 5K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +48 / 0
    No conversion kit.

3. sloopy70

sloopy70 XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Check out a browning buckmark, feels remarkably similar to an xd... thats what I use to practice...

[​IMG]

4. xd_john

xd_john XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Same here:

[​IMG]

(Browning Buckmark Bullseye Target URX)

With a 5 minute FREE spring flip, the trigger is incredible.

I shot in the booth next to a husband and wife shooting the .22 sig 22x. It was jamming / not cycling about once a mag for at least an hour....

5. Bruce2604

Bruce2604 XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Sig offers 22LR packages for their full sized frames. I've seen the P226. I bought the P220 SAO 22LR package.

Plus you get a coupon good for 1 year after purchase to buy the center fire slide assembly. Mine would be .45. I shoot only 9mm, but I'm considering just to have it.

The slide has an adjustable rear sight for windage, which is nice.

One drawback with the Sig 22 conversion, the slide does not lock back with an empty mag. The mags are expensive (32 for mine) and they are plastic. The good news, sigpower.com sells a spring and plug to convert the 10 shot mag to 14 or 15. He also sells a metal follower that will lock the slide when the mag is empty. But the follower stops the slide, it does not activate the slide stop, so you have to manually still lock the slide. Also, he sells stainless guide rods.

I ordered the guide rod, mag follower, and spring. It's in the mail so I can't comment on how it will work.

I also have a buckmark camper. Shoots nice but they are a pain to field strip. You basically clean them assembled. Both are great shooting, but the Sig is tons of fun.

Bruce

6. DaveT

DaveT XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    For a dedicated .22 I really like the Ruger Mk II with a 5.5-inch bull barrel. It's been really reliable and I only have occasional problems with even really cheap ammo.

7. biggmike

biggmike XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    I'm also thinking about a Sig Mosquito Sport. I like the Brownings also. I would have never thought there would be so many .22lr choices.

8. Bruce2604

Bruce2604 XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    FWIW,

it just so happens that I was at the range last Tuesday and a guy next to me had a Mosquito. He was having constant problems with jams. I think it was a sport, since I noticed the barrel protruding past the slide. He had to stop one time for cease fire and had to use a knife to pry out a stuck shell.

I was shooting my sig and had no problems. When I first got it I was using wally world cheapo and had several FTF and FTE. But I switched to CCI mini mag and no problems since. Sig does recommend higher velocity ammo to deal with the slide weight.

I have seen many comments on forums about the skeeter but I took them with a grain of salt...until last Tuesday. Now I wonder....

Also, my buckmark has taken all types of ammo without a hitch.

Bruce

9. ThomasA

ThomasA XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    ruger 22/45 mkIII here. Same grip angle as the XD and 1911's. And also has same mag release behind trigger, and slide release, etc. That's why I chose it. They're REALLY fun to shoot Open Rimfire with a red-dot :)
    -Thomas

10. sloopy70

sloopy70 XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yeah same with the Buckmark...