Springfield XD Forum banner

New to me ak looking for info

5K views 8 replies 2 participants last post by  ford_boy 
#1 ·
So I got this ak as a gift it says Intrac arms Tennessee on it and I've shot once when it belonged to my dad. It wasn't that fun because of the grip and short length. Do I'm thinking I'd like to get a nice magpul grip and a stock for it I like the reviews on the vltor gas tube conversion and a magpul adjustable stock. So I guess the purpose of me writing this is one to find out more info on the reliability and origin of the gun and manufacturer and two to see if anyone has any firsthand experience with these upgrades and to here opinions.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Need a better pic. Looks like a Romanian RomAK 1 to me. Precurser to the WasR series. May have threads under the barrel nut. May also have cuts in the receiver to prevent putting a pistol grip on. It may be a RomAK-991 (single stack mag) converted to standard mags.

Need a picture of the left side trunnion stamps. Look all over the receiver for RATMIL or Cugir.

#4 ·
Yes, just behind the rear sight. See those 3 rivets, that holds the trunnion in the receiver. Just above those rivets is the trunnion. That holds the barrel. See that symbol, letters and numbers? The symbol tells what country and arsenal built it. The letters ( Cryllic) are the production run, then the serial number or 4 digit date is next. Seen it both ways.

#6 ·
1997 WUM 1. Romanian AK. I like them better then the SAR series, WUM is a much nicer weapon. They are hard to find too. WUM rifles were originally ordered, named and produced on behalf of a collective order from multiple German civilian firearms dealers, through a company with the name WUM Jagd/Sport u. Sammlerwaffen GmbH located in the German city of Erfurt, in the early 1990s. As Germans were not allowed to own military 'style' rifles, this is what the WUM looked like

Sottman has one

The WUM 1 is 7.62x39. WUM 2 is 5.45x39.5.

It should have the SVD style scope rail on the left side of the receiver. Great score!

#7 ·
It looks like there was something on the side but it's been removed the finish shows a distinct rectangular out line an I can see a pair of rivets that have been drilled off. So this gun is of decent quality/ acuracy? I know it's an ak and not a rem 700 lol but I'm hoping it can at least group a little, perhaps with better sights. Also you said Romanian but then go on to say German does that mean Romanian style and German manufacturing or something else?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.