New to AK

Discussion in 'AK-47 Talk' started by Falcon1, Dec 5, 2011.

1. Falcon1

Falcon1 XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I went to my local gun store Saturday to get a new holster for my XD, I spotted a few AK's on the rack and asked about them. He told me there was a couple that were made in the US, I cant remember the make it began with a IO ore something like that, but he did have 2 that had some numbers and POL after them. One was a under folder. I asked if they were Polish he said yes. Also the under folder was a stamped reciever and and the other was a milled reciever both were new. I almost got the milled one but wanted some in put from you guys that know these things. Thanks for any responce.

2. CGP

CGP XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thats not a whole lot of info to go by. It might help if you know the selling price. Pictures would help too, if the shop will allow you to take them. Lastly, try to get as much detail on the builder and the model/description of each.

3. Falcon1

Falcon1 XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Would the milled reciever be a better buy than the stamped. Both were around th $700. 00 range. These are new guns I'll call them and see who manufactured them later today.

4. AKC

AKC XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    As far as I know the only thing you are getting with a milled over a stamped is more weight.

Most of the guys on here all have various stamped AK receivers.

5. John A.

John A. XDTalk 3K Member

Ratings:
    +111 / 5
    I certainly like the feel and ridgity (sp?) of a milled receiver. They just make me feel better that they are made stonger.

With that said, I've never really had a problem with a stamped receiver either.

But the $700 pricetag seems a little high for a stamped receiver. You can shop around and get a converted saiga for that and they have more collector value and a higher following.

California Legal Russian AK47 Rifle WA B47

6. CGP

CGP XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    From a functional standpoint, there isnt much of a difference between milled and stamped, provided the riveting work on the stamped ones are good and in correct alignment. More often, the action on a milled receiver is a lot smoother than stamped.

I have both stamped and milled AKs and I can say that the milled receivers are much better finished, less riveting work, more rigid. Generally, resale value on milled receivers are higher compared to stamped, particularly those that are more traditional (wood furniture for example).

7. Falcon1

Falcon1 XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
  8. CGP

CGP XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'd call Atlantic and ask if the barrel is chrome lined - it does not seem so otherwise they'll put it the description as its one of the bigger selling points of an AK. I don't know what a "match grade" barrel means in AK terms so to speak (sounds like fluff).

I don't have an IO so i cant really speak about their quality, but for that price, I would expect a bit more that makes it a cut above other less expensive alternatives - chrome lined barrel being one.

Good luck.

9. Elbows

Elbows XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Personal opinion, avoid the IO.

Polish underfolders are okay - if you're not big on cheek weld. They will ruin your day running a class with one. There are some "fixes" but as a whole, for a serious class/fighting gun I'd advise against them.

Milled receivers are nice, but completely unnecessary. They are solid, but they're also heavy. There is a reason the Russians and various other countries stopped using milled receivers (expensive, and weighty). You're not buying some high-dollar sniper rifle, etc.

I'd suggest finding a good deal on something online vs. a store anyday - especially if you're not fluent in AK-ese.

10. Stogies

Stogies XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    I have the IO AK and it's really a good gun. The barrel is US made and NOT chrome lined, their official explanation is that they were going for accuracy first, apparently there's some issue with chrome lining on that?

But the real beef is that I got mine for a measly 430$ just on 03/01/10 and now they are @ 530 at Bud's and sometimes higher elsewhere.

11. einheit 13

einheit 13 XDTalk 5K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +40 / 0

Chrome lining does tend to make accuracy a little less. IO is using it as a reason...chrome lined US made barrels are expensive.