New Shield 9mm and range report

Discussion in 'Non-XD Handguns' started by Tara, Jul 28, 2012.

1. Tara

Tara XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I got my first pistol last year, an XD9SC, which I really, really like. I've shot it the best of anything I've tried. I wanted something smaller and got an LC9 shortly after that. I really tried, but couldn't get used to the trigger, and the recoil was starting to do nerve damage to my index finger. After reading 100's of posts on the XDs and the Shield, and briefly shooting a Shield a couple of months ago, I decided to trade the LC9 in on one. I didn't find it to be nearly as accurate at the XD when I tried it, but I figured I'd get used to it. It wasn't easy to find, but I got on the waiting lists of all of my LGS's and one of them got one Thurs. I traded in my LC9, picked up the Shield, and headed to the range. I'd also just had a HiVis front sight put on my XD (thanks to James for the quick and excellent service!!), so I wanted to try that out too. No cleaning, no oiling, I just loaded it. I put up 2 targets at 7 yards for the XD and 2 for the Shield.

[​IMG]

This was my best Shield target, and better than both of my XD targets, which really surprised me. Being lighter it has a bit more recoil than the XD, but MUCH less than the LC9. The trigger is a little heavier than the XD, but so similar that I had no problem going from one gun to the other, which I did with the LC9 and XD.

If I lay one on top of the other they are almost identical in size, but of course the Shield is quite a bit narrower and lighter. I couldn't be happier with the gun.

Attached Files:

2. EOS

EOS XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Wow.

Thanks for the report! I've been reading up on the Shield and appreciate your report. Will most likely get on LGS waiting lists now.

3. TCS_XDM

TCS_XDM XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    How quickly can you get the first shot and follow shot accurately on target?

4. Tara

Tara XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I usually shoot really slow, but did try to shoot a little faster yesterday. I don't think I can give you the answer you're looking for as I don't have much experience and I've never even tried double-taps, but my guess would be pretty quickly in experienced hands.

5. richeyo2

richeyo2 XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hey man congrats on the new Shield, it's an awesome little pistol IMO. I really have enjoyed mine. The wife has the LC9 & she really likes it, but it's not for me. I don't like the trigger nor the snappy recoil on the LC9. The Shield is way easier to make follow up shots & more accurate than I could of have imagined.

6. Tara

Tara XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I got out my last LC9 target and showed it and my Shield target to my husband, and he just said "wow," there was that much difference.

Has your wife tried your Shield? I had a malfunction epoch with my LC9 when it suddenly started having about 50% FTF's. It turns out many of the strikers are too sharp, and if you shoot ammo that has soft primers some of it gets shaved off when the casing is ejected and it clogs up the striker channel. My front sight had also come loose (those targets were REALLY bad). I sent it back to Ruger and they replaced the striker and pinned the front sight. I tested it to make sure it was working, but realized it wasn't just making my index finger sore, it was actually affecting a nerve. That was nail in the coffin for the LC9.

7. richeyo2

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yes she shot my Shield for the first time about a week or ago at the range. I'd been telling her how much better I liked it over her LC9. After shooting the Shield she hated to admit it but was impressed w/the trigger! She says she keep her LC9 for now though, we will see...:)

8. shipwreck

shipwreck XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have 2 Shields. They are really, really awesome little guns :O)

9. TSiWRX

TSiWRX XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 1
    Wow!!! That's some awesome shooting - particularly first-time-out with that particular pistol!

I think that's a great sign that you've come across a pistol which "just fits right" in your hands. Truthfully, I think that this is something very important: in a real fight, you'll want as many advantages as you can get, and while sight-picture/sight-alignment and trigger control can get you driving the bull's eye with any gun, I think that's a luxury one may or may not enjoy, in a real fight. Having a gun that just points well, naturally, for me, it's definitely an advantage that I look for in my defensive firearms.

Thanks for that post, Tara!

I'm still waiting for the XD-S to be presented to us in 9mm. If they can squeeze at least another 3 rounds into that caliber offering, I'd consider going with it. But in the end, I know that I'll be comparing the XD-S with the Shield, no matter what (even if I end up comparing the 9mm Shield to the XD-S in .45 ACP). I really love the ergos of the M&P series, but for me, my hands take better to the XD platform.

:)

10. Tara

Tara XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks!! It was quite a nice surprise!

I was sure I wanted the XDs in 9mm. I held the XDs at my LGS and loved everything about it, even down to the red fiber optic front sight, which is why I had one put on my XD9SC. Reading more and more about the number of people with light strikes, and after the very frustrating experience I just had with the LC9, I decided to go with the Shield. I actually sort of like the thumb safety on a pistol I might CC or put in a purse, although consistency between my two pistols would also be an advantage. In the end, dependability won out. It could be that by the time the XDs is released in 9mm that all the bugs will be worked out and they will be as trouble-free as the other XD/XDM pistols.

11. 3shot

3shot XDTalk 3K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Just goes to show the best gun will find you. Not the other way around.
    Nice shooting!

12. TSiWRX

TSiWRX XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 1
    ^ That's part of what I'm hoping for, too. :)

I was a relatively early-adopter of the XDm9 3.8 Compact, but honestly, there's not much difference there, to the full-sized variant. :) With the XD-S, I'm thinking that a bit more time is probably not a bad thing.

Be sure to train the snot out of that thumb safety. :) Work it every time!

13. Tara

Tara XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Good point!! Thanks!

14. richeyo2

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Just chiming in w/my 2cents on the XDS problems mentioned.

I think alot of the people that are having problems, I'm not saying everyone but probably at least half, are due to operator error, incorrect maintenance & or lack of understanding of the pistol IMO....Limp wristing, improper slide action performed, & lack of lube are big contributors to most problems. The XDS is a new lightweight, high caliber pistol w/tight tolerances that most of us are not use to. Once again, IMO.

I've got 450 flawless rounds so far.
    I'll be waiting for hate mail now!

15. Tara

Tara XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi,
    No hate mail here! In the end, I think it was the fact that the XDs does seem to have such tight tolerances that pushed me to the more tolerant Shield. If the real thing happened, my arms might not be locked, or I might be using just one hand, and I'd hate to have the gun say "Sorry, your form isn't perfect." I wanted a work horse like my XD.