New S&W M&P Add

Discussion in 'Non-XD Handguns' started by agould27, Apr 26, 2011.

1. agould27

agould27 XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Has anybody seen the new M&P add that totally knocks the XD and Glock, outright saying its the superior of the three. What are everyones opinions of this type of marketing. The add pictures parts from all three guns and then has and a comparison of parts that reads like this
    M&P Glock gen 4 Xd(m)
    Palm swell grips Y N N

Ambidextrous Slide stop Y N N

Embedded Stainless
    Stell Chasis Y N N

Ambidextrous Thumb
    Safety Y N N

Country Of
    Manufacture USA Austria Croatia

To me non of these features even matter. The Xd(m) and Glock Gen 4 have interchangeable back straps which work just find.
    Ambi Slide Stop not a lefty don't need it.
    Stell Chasis, well my Xd trigger blocks seem to work just find so whats the point.
    Ambi thumb safety??? well we don't really need a thumb safety on a Xd, XD(m) or glock do we? Well the glock might need one.

2. mixednuts

mixednuts XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Eh, marketing is marketing. They're doing their job by pointing out what some may perceive as advantages to the platform.

Ambi safty/slide stop? Thats a huge bonus for left handed people and those worried about their shooting hand becoming injured in a firefight.

The palm swells are a pretty nice design that adjust both the width and thickness of the grip.

The steel skeleton in the frame? Not that big of a deal to be honest. It may be a selling point for some but there are thousands of polymer pistols out there that don't have that feature and are perfectly fine.

Every gun has its pro's and con's and it's the job of marketing to focus on the good things of the platform. I doubt you would find an add from S&W that went like this...

"Tactile" trigger - Gives the feeling of pulling a boat oar through quicksand. The grit lets you know its working!

Ambi slide release - When the left one snaps off you can still use the right one!

"Gambler" barrel - Not only did we use a rate of twist that isn't optimized for 9mm but we also added to the experience by using barrels that have a chance of switching from combat accuracy to shotgun-like spreads at 25 yards. You won't know if you have a good one till 4k rounds which adds to the fun!

See? An add like that probably wouldn't help their bottom line much. Once again, no gun is perfect and every gun has it's strengths. Personally, I'm happy with my XDm but I would not turn down an M&P if given the opportunity to buy one.

3. GhostDog70

GhostDog70 XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    They're trolling for M&P fanboys. No worries.

4. Ocean82

Ocean82 XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Funny they don't mention the XD's grip safety, XDm interchangeable backstraps, striker indicator, loaded chamber indicator, or trigger safety....of which the M&P has none. The M&P is a great gun, but to compare it feature for feature against the XD it will lose.

5. NewBlackDak

NewBlackDak XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    The marketing people need to do some research.

The XDm and Gen4 Glock both have interchangeable grips.

6. sgtfiredog

sgtfiredog XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0

We all know this (now). But, when I was in the market for my first firearm, I didn't know squat. So, being uneducated and looking at said ad, I probably would have been swayed toward the M&P. I'd probably be pretty happy with it and never know of what the XD had to offer.

And that's who they're aiming for, the guys who are looking to buy a gun and don't know a lot of about them.

Thankfully I was directed toward XD's by my brother.

7. spudthegreater

spudthegreater XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yeah, the other marketing ploy is used by the local sporting goods dealers, the fact that so many police Dept's use the S&W M&P's but fail to mention that pricing contracts practically give them away, they can say the weapon is so good that "X" number of police Dept's use them, why wouldn't you? Which then they hope to make the real money on the private sale consumer end, at much higer prices, THe pitch sounds reasonable, but objectively the weapons could be total crap, what kind of accountant really takes into consideration field issues when the bottom line is bucks? I agree that the XD's have far better features as has been mentioned in the previous thread posts...I have no remorse for buying my XD...or concern for contracting the famed Glock leg syndrome....

8. Slimvela

Slimvela XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    As with any marketing ploy, they only hit on what they believe their product excells at above the others. However, they did fail at even that...um, backstraps are on all 3 as NewBlackDak pointed out.

9. TriviaMonster

TriviaMonster XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    These kinds of ads always make me think like this.
    You will buy this pistol because we spent money on ads rather than our product. It could have been improved with this and that but we think this ad will help save your life in a dangerous situation- Y N N

I do actually like M&Ps quite a lot, but the trigger needs work, not the ads.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2011
  10. dhunley1

dhunley1 XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    The XDm and Glock gen4 have interchangeable backstraps but they just stick out of the back. The interchangeable "palmswell" grips on the M&P actually fill your hand by going around the side of the frame. I think that's the point they were trying to make when they put out that ad. I won't knock the XDm or Glock because I think they're great guns, but IMHO the M&P is a superior design. I see no need for a grip safety, loaded chamber indicator, or a striker indicator. I can see why some like those features though. At the end of the day they're all great guns and people should choose the one they are most comfortable with.

11. Ocean82

Ocean82 XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I agree with your last statement. I'd like to know why you think the M&P is "superior." You mention the M&P's "simplistic design" with none of those features, but how does that make it superior? It's not like there are more failure points? If any of the XD features were stuck, the gun would still operate 100%. You might prefer it, but that doesn't mean the design is superior. That's a pretty objective statement. I'd say, all 3 designs are equal, and it's up to the individual to determine which gun best fits their hands and needs.

12. dhunley1

Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    I agree with you on it being an objective statement. I said I thought it was superior "in my honest opinion". Obviously other people are going to have a different opinion. I like the fact that the M&P has less felt recoil since your hand sits higher in the frame, allowing for quicker more accurate follow up shots (for me at least). Also the steel chassis in the frame helps manage some of that torque and keeps the frame from twisting. Before owning my M&P's I carried a Glock 26 for quite a while. I wanted something new and I was torn between the M&P and XDm. After I did some testing with both, the M&P just stood out more to me. The interchangeable grips on the XDm didn't do much to fill my hand, it just helped to put my trigger finger closer or further to the position of my liking. Like I said before the XDm is a great gun, it just wasn't for me. I would never try to sway someone away from getting one. Different strokes for different folks...

13. spudthegreater

spudthegreater XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    ...Originally Posted by dhunley1 ..."I see no need for a grip safety, loaded chamber indicator, or a striker indicator."

Well, the grip safety prevents you from discharging the weapon if you are in the habit of carrying with one in the chamber and you pull or something grabs at the trigger, loaded chamber indicator lets you know that the chamber is loaded, and the striker indicator lets you know that the gun is cocked and ready to fire the pin if the trigger is pulled....Unless you are superman and have X-ray vision, you would never know those things. THAT is why someone thought they were necessary...Features the Glock nor the M&P contain. They all shoot and function fairly darn reliably, but innovation has its benefits too...

14. dhunley1

Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    I keep my finger off the trigger until I'm ready to shoot so I have no need for the grip safety. Except for on a 1911 I see no benefit for it. I find the loaded chamber indicator and striker indicator useless since I always know if my gun is loaded or not. I don't need to be superman to know that lol. It's called being responsible and having common sense.

15. agould27

agould27 XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Thanks for the great opinions guys! I have nothing against the M&P line, my buddy carries one as a duty gun and absolutley love the thing. I just don't see SA or Glock coming straight out and attacking another brand in an ad. Although some retaliation would be nice to see ;). I agree they are all good guns, I am one of those where the glock does not feel right in my hand, The M&P compact I played with at my buds gun store the other did feel really darn good in my hand. I won't be trading in my XDSC anytime soon though. I've been in retail/sales for the last 7 years and understand the marketing skeem behind this. I just don't see the point in coming out and "bashing" your competitor in an ad. IMO poor form.