New (old) Remington Hotness

Discussion in 'Bolt Guns/Precision Rifles' started by Scoobywagon, Mar 1, 2012.

1. Scoobywagon

Scoobywagon XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    On the 5th of February, 2012, I took my wife shooting for the first time. I put a borrowed Winchester 9422 in her hands and she proceeded to eat my lunch with it. When I cleaned it up to take it back, she had this sad look on her face and said "We're ... not going to keep it?". So I set about looking for a rifle for her. I knew that I wanted to keep it to a small caliber as she has some shoulder problems that I don't want to aggravate. Chatting with friends, shooters and gunsmiths, I settled on either .223 or .308. Since she is only shooting from the bench, weight isn't a real issue.

Over the course of the following few days, we had the conversation several times working what kind of rifle she'd like to have. Her input was pretty simple. She wanted something with a classic look and that wouldn't have massive recoil as she has some shoulder issues. The following week, I took her to a gun store so that I could see what sorts of rifles caught her eye. From this, I established that she'd want something with a classic sporting rifle look and wood furniture is preferable to composite. Mostly, I think she just doesn't like the unfinished black composite look because a couple of composite stocks with printed wood grain appealed to her.

A few days later, I was in another LGS and happened to find a Remington 788 in .223 complete with an optic. It met all of our requirements and appeared to be in pretty good condition. I bought it, took it home and when I tore it down for cleaning and inspection, I really couldn't find any wear indicators. Nice. Took it to the range to zero it. It wasn't even on the paper at 100 yards. Darn near in the wood at 25. WAY low and right. I put 40 rounds through it just to get it zeroed as I was trying to figure out both gun and optic. I finally got it zeroed and put 10 round down at 100 yards. I wasn't very happy with the group, but I was starting to get frustrated at that point and I was out of ammo and I had to go to work.

When I tore it down again, there were some wear marks on the bolt and receiver that hadn't been there before. Complete DCLA later, I was convinced that rifle was a virgin. I started researching and immediately came up with some contradictory information. The date stamp in the barrel indicates a build date of November, 1968. However, Remington's archive says this chambering was only offered in 1974. Additionally, the serial number on my receiver does not fall into a valid range listed in the Archive. So I called Remington to figure it out. Turns out this gun was made in 1981. Given the fact that there were no wear marks on the bolt or receiver prior to my shooting it and that the scope was WAY out of adjustment, I think someone bought this rifle new, put a scope on it and then put it in a closet.

Anyway, my wife saw the $500 transaction on the bank website later that day. When she asked what I had bought, I handed her the magazine for the rifle. She asked "What's this???". I said "It goes to that" while pointing over my shoulder at her new rifle.

My wife loves me. :)

2. AwPhuch

AwPhuch XDTalk 15K Member

Ratings:
    +428 / 11
    Pics or it didn't happen! :p

3. Frontier Owner

Frontier Owner XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    yeah, a story like that deserves pictures... any bragging deserves pictures...

4. arizona98tj

arizona98tj XDTalk 1K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    I have a Rem 788 in .223 sitting behind me in the safe. It's a good little shooter. I bought mine back in the 70s when I was part timing at a Virginia gun shop while serving in the Navy.

5. Diamond Jim

Diamond Jim XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    It's good to have a wife that likes & understands our penchant for things that go "BOOM". Just bought my wife a Stevens 200 in .223, waiting for it to arrive (Buds - 6 days & counting, maybe pick it up Monday). She want's an AR, but before I let her burn up a 30 rd mag she's gonna learn to shoot straight & hit what she aims at.

6. Oddgunner

Oddgunner XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Sweet, never have had gun that had not been shot by some one else first.

7. Scoobywagon

Scoobywagon XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Well, I finally found the card reader for my camera. So, by popular request, here are the pics I shot when I first got this rifle. These shots were taken after my first outing with it. I had put 50 rounds through it, then torn it apart, cleaned it and took these pictures.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. XDJSR33

XDJSR33 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Nice rifle. I too was "lost" when it came to a Remington 788. I also just picked one up last month. It still had the original stock and scope that was on it. Not 100% sure when my father had picked it up. But I'm glad I got it.

Here it is (along with my other toys) with the original stock and the Tasco 4x40 scope:
    [​IMG]

Here it is now in its current configuration:
    [​IMG]

It has a Ram-Line stock, along with a new Tasco 3-12x40 scope on it.

And here's the most recent target:
    [​IMG]

Have fun. Great rifle.