New M&P 9, not all good to report...

Discussion in 'Non-XD Handguns' started by CavScout88, Sep 28, 2012.

1. CavScout88

CavScout88 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I bought a new M&P 9, full sized, no mag or manual safety, came with three 17rd mags, cost $350.

Overall I like the gun a lot, but I've been XD/XDm for a long time. The thing I'm not used to is having to break in the slide stop and starting with a creaky trigger. Also, loading a mag causing the slide to fall automatically.

My cousin and I both bought one, and neither of us could release the slide with the stop. It wouldn't budge, even trying from both sides at once, on either pistol. I had to work mine, letting some pressure off the slide to use the stop, many times. I can at least use that now, but it's still difficult.

Second issue, the slide falls when I slap a mag in? That just seems like a BAD thing. There's no consistency. I never really know when it will close the slide itself, or not. And I guess if you slam a mag in, it might not pic up a round. Great... now I always have to brass check it...

I still love the gun, it shot well. I can even break in the slide stop. But that issue with the slide releasing itself is rather hard to forgive. Maybe even more than a magazine safety (disconnect).

2. windsearcher

windsearcher XDTalk 3K Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0
    hmmmm....interesting feedback... thanks for the info!

3. inanebignate

inanebignate XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I know alot of people like the slide going forward when they slam a mag in it. Some say the gun was designed to do that but idk.

4. Brickboy240

Brickboy240 XDTalk 25K Member

Ratings:
    +362 / 4
    The M&P45 I borrowed did not do the slide forward thing. I did borrow an HK USP that did that and yeah...I found that jarring.

The M&P trigger is terrible and the re-set is almost non-existent.

If S&W fixed a few things...that pistol would be great but I don't see giving up my Glocks for one any time soon.

-brickboy240

5. Poneill.45

Poneill.45 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    According to a recent phone call to S&W, the slide is "supposed" to close when you slam in a new mag. They say the gun is designed for combat use, and that is one of the features, and if you insert the mag gently it won't drop the slide. I can see benefits to it, shaving off a second or so if you have to do a mag change, but, it can be dangerous too, if you're just at the range. It doesn't bother me much though, and I've never had it fail to pick up a new round when it does automatically close. I wouldn't stress it, and just take time to get used to it with that particular gun.

For the gritty trigger, this simple polishing works really well, I did it, and it's nice now, and I can feel the reset. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFD2w6gRhQs&feature=youtube_gdata_player]How To Polish A M&P Series Pistol Trigger ($0.25 Trigger Job Equivalent) - YouTube[/ame]

6. CavScout88

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm opting for a $65 trigger job. It makes the reset nearly nothing. From handling a gun with it, I can say I loved it.

The M&P definitely does it (slide falls from slamming a mag). That was one of the first things I was told and it's proving to be true. He also mentioned Glocks are known for it, and there was... I'm thinking a Sig? on the range during a match that was doing it too.

7. CavScout88

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    As a trooper with some time down range, I think that's a horrible idea. It sounds more like a IDPA or w/e thing...

But thanks for that info! Now I know this isn't just hersey that will probably get contested by every M&P fan. Now it just comes down to how much the user likes that type of feature. It's odd that inserting a mag with (my) medium force, or any level, doesn't seem to reliably cause the slide to unlock.

Love the DIY vids, and I will watch it just to become more familiar with the the gun. But unless it's an AK, I won't touch the trigger. :shock:

Is there anything that can be done to stop this?

EDIT: XDm reset is actually pretty good. I've never had an issue where it didn't go bang and I had to think "Better start working on making sure I let it reset." But I haven't had that issue with the M&P either, but it only has a couple hundred rds through it now.

8. HardBall

HardBall XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hmmmmm, that would take some getting use to

9. YoopermikeXDM

YoopermikeXDM XDTalk 4K Member

Ratings:
    +22 / 2
    1st off you paid $350 for a $500+ gun. 2nd All my pistols will chamber around if you slap in a fresh mag. 3rd most guns have stiff controls as they are new, they get easier the more you use em. And the trigger, there are many freebie mods to do to the trigger to make the it better( youtube is your friend). :) If you still dont like it, send it to me and I will :"deal" with your " bad" gun free of charge. :D

Last edited: Sep 30, 2012
  10. SonOfOdin

SonOfOdin XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 1
    I have none of the problems you described with my M&P9c. Does not slam the slide home when a mag is slapped in with force. The slide stop is manipulative by thumb pressure. Sounds odd.

11. CavScout88

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    It's a $400-450 gun, unless you love to overpay. But I had to use two separate discounts.

Your name has XDm in it. I just took mine out with a full mag and had to beat the crap out of the mag well to make it happen, and only after more than a couple tries, probably slowly creeping the slide stop. But I've already heard Glocks, Sigs, and now H&Ks do it too. It's just something I don't like and am not used to.

"Stiff" and completely unusuable are two totally different things. It must have some GIANT burs inside. And after a bit of working it in, they are now finally "stiff." Big improvement.

Not sure I ever said "deal" [wit it] or that it was a "bad" gun. Lol.

12. CavScout88

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Not sure. The model I bought was followed by "LE" where as the compacts or designed for carry. But I can't see them changing that 'feature.' By the way, read Poneill's post, like #5. It's "supposed" to. Which means your gun is failing you! Lol.

Brand new, neither my cousin or I could work the stop on either pistol. Even trying from both sides. I figured that's what was catching, because it's an ambi control.

13. K.O.D.

K.O.D. XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    :) I concur the trigger is awful

14. CavScout88

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    They are really only horrible new out of the box. The trigger breaks in a lot better. But new, it's a grindy/creaky trigger and a impossible slide stop.

Most guns on the shelves get played with a lot. So undoubtably if you buy one from a shelf-type shop, it's been worked a bit. Mine had probably never been worked more than once or twice.

If it matters, the 2 pistols I bought were from a very new batch. Just in from SW and then to me asap.

15. windsearcher

windsearcher XDTalk 3K Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0
    for the "auto" slide release when slapping in a mag..... I have a Glock that does sometimes.... my XDm, never... and my Kahr is doing it quite often while doing "combat" reloads in shooting classes.

Both of my usual instructors have said this is actually a favorable thing for the self defense shooter. It takes away that split second delay of having to use the slide release or "sling shot" of the slide. (Hey... it is THEM telling me, I'm just the messenger!!).

IMO, especially on the Kahr with its single stack mag and more frequent mag changes, I actually like it. As long as I am ready to slingshot/thumb the slide release if the slide doesn't release it's a non-issue. In reality, is that fraction of a second having to thumb/sling shot or have the slide go forward automatically going to make a difference? I pray that it is never that critical for me!!