Springfield XD Forum banner

New High Resolution Pistol Correction Chart w/ XDTalk logo

98K views 143 replies 129 participants last post by  realistic 
#1 · (Edited)
I know several threads have been posted concerning the pistol correction chart; however i spent some time with photoshop and remade it (and added a left-hand version) in full resolution and added an XDtalk.com logo.

Here it is. Enjoy

Right Hand:
1) A Standard Letter (8.5x11) target 1.5 Mb .pdf
Outer: 8in
Inner: 3in
Bulls: 1in
2) A Very Large 17x22 25.3 Mb .pdf
Outer: 16in
Inner: 6in
Bulls: 2in​
3) A four-page slice-up 4.4 Mb (so you can print it from a standard 8.5x11 printer) .pdf
Same dimensions as the very large after joining the four pages

Left Hand Versions:
-Previews-

-Previews-​

See less See more
#79 ·
Thanks a bunch for these. I will be making heavy use of them. For the people wondering about distance, an obvious answer: The smaller targets are for closer distances, and if you're using these at all, you'll want to start out as close as possible and progressively move it back as your groupings hit closer to center. You'll probably want to switch to the large one as you get closer to 25 yards, too.

#81 ·
I'm glad folks are still getting use out of this thing. I know it's helped me. This chart, and TONS of dry firing.
Great post, can't wait to try it, and when I do it will only be my second time shooting with pistols. I figure I need accuracy sooner than later. One question, though: How did dry firing help you? I am new to guns and don't really understand that. I do know that dry firing means you fire without a round in the chamber.

#84 ·
this is awesome thanks

#85 ·
lol Johick05 stole my words! This IS awesome, thanks. Can't wait to try it out.

#88 ·
This looks like an excellent training tool. Thanks very much for your time and effort. I do have a question: What is the difference between "Tightening grip while pulling Trigger" on the lower right and "Tightening fingers" on the lower left?
Love this target!

We know every contact point of our hands applies some amount of pressure on the pistol, and that pressure causes the gun to move, or not move, in a certain direction at a certain time, and those pressures can change throughout the trigger press.

In addition to trigger control effects . . . .

The first, if you're hitting there, may be your strong side thumb applying a bit more pressure in your grip than you want, causing your wrist (and gun) to roll slightly down and right. You may also be applying too much rearward and downward pressure with your support hand fingers, if you are shooting a variant of a thumbs-forward grip with your support fingers wrapped around your strong side fingers under the trigger guard. Try this (this is NOT a fix, you're trying to create the error so you can better realize it and then fix it) - - with your cleared and unloaded gun :rolleyes: - - grip the gun loosely in your strong hand, and just squeeze in and forward with the thumb, you may notice the muzzle go down and right. Now apply your support hand, loose grip still, and just pull down and across to the right with your fingers, gun will do the same thing. Now be aware of these pressures when you shoot. ;)

The second, your strong side bottom three fingers may be putting a bit more pressure in your grip than you want, pulling the muzzle down and left, or your support hand fingers may be over-tightening in, gripping too tightly, which flexes your strong hand to the left and down, which may be pulling your muzzle the same way. Try this, no gun needed (again, not the fix)- - extend your strong hand out, one finger pointing out, thumb up, bottom three fingers slightly curled (make a gun). Relax your hand, then squeeze those three bottom fingers in, and see where your trigger finger goes - down and left. Too much pressure with them during your grip does the same thing. Now add your support hand, keep your strong hand relaxed, and just squeeze in, down and left, with those support side fingers. You may notice a down and left pull on your strong hand. You might also notice your support side wrist flexes up and right, which may drive the back of the pistol up and right, so the muzzle down and left.

The fix is being aware of these pressures, and noticing them in your grip, then letting them up until your grip balances and your hits are true. Watch that front sight as you fire, it will tell you everything before the round hits the paper. Works with dryfire, too.

IMO, grip is all about balance, finding the right amounts of pressure and balances between fingers, thumbs, palms, strong/support side, all that, that works best for YOU.

Good luck!

#92 ·
As a completely superfluous, beating a dead horse, useless update...this chart still rocks.

Helped me work through trigger jerking. Thank you for making it and everyone for their input and explanations!

#94 ·
Once again I know how to shoot. I know the mechanics of shooting, and with other pistols (Ruger P89 and Glock 23) I hit the center ring. The question I asked is; what is the proper sight picture with the Springfield xdm? Do you line the three dots up even with each other, or do you stack the front sight dot on the top of the rear sight dots?

#96 ·
Awesome, I have seen targets, squares with descriptions on the bottom that show what you are doing. However being new it helps to actually read what you are doing when you hit a certain spot.

#98 ·
This is awesome. I'm going to print this up and actually utilize this tonight. I have a new handgun (Ruger LC9) to try out, along with shooting my XD9.

Very well done.

#101 ·
Once again I know how to shoot. I know the mechanics of shooting, and with other pistols (Ruger P89 and Glock 23) I hit the center ring. The question I asked is; what is the proper sight picture with the Springfield xdm? Do you line the three dots up even with each other, or do you stack the front sight dot on the top of the rear sight dots?
It doesn't seem like you ever got this answered, but here's a simple rule that works on ANY handgun... IGNORE the dots/lines/squares, etc... they are just so you can quickly reference the location of the sights... ignore the dots unless you are shooting on tritium sights at night, your rear sight will be slightly blurry anyway so there is no real way to focus on all 3 dots. Line up the sights across the tops and level them on center mass. Here's a good example:

Pistol Sighting 101: Aimed Shooting | The Brasstard

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.