NEW GUY WITH XDM9 4.5

Discussion in 'XD-M Discussion Room - XD(M)' started by Hank Williams, Jan 3, 2017.

1. Jan 5, 2017 #11
    TSiWRX

TSiWRX XDTalk 4K Member

Ratings:
    +2,149 / 7
    You should get more used to the trigger, before you go any further - from your pictures, you need to tighten your grouping to what you see with your SR9c on your -RED- target.

Actually, the lower-left corner target on your -RED- target is pretty decent, but still, at 7 yards, you should literally be driving that single ragged (albeit bigger than a cloverleaf) hole, particularly if you're shooting for a group.

Towards shooting the group, you've specified a distance metric, but not a time metric. What's your timing look like, with this exercise?

I also have a SR9 - a Compact - and the XDm should not shoot any worse.

My bet is that you just need to get used to the trigger, which is quite different between the two.

First strive for that single hole with the XDm at the 7, before moving that target back to the 25 and testing for off-hand capabilities.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Jan 5, 2017 #12
    TSiWRX

TSiWRX XDTalk 4K Member

Ratings:
    +2,149 / 7
    As for specific ammo, you need to do that homework, yourself.

Just because my 4.5-inch XDm9 likes one ammo does not mean that yours will - or that anyone else's XDm9 4.5-inch will like that same ammo any more or less, and that could be everything from terminal ballistics to feed/function. This factor is highly unique-gun dependent, and there is simply no way to say from one gun to another what will or won't work.

What I can tell you from personal experience is that in terms of accuracy/precision, that 3 to 4-inch group at the 25 does -NOT- need some kind of magical unicorn unobtanium moneybags "match" ammo. Just range-fodder will do (with the caveat that yes, if you get a particular round that your gun really produces bad results on, you can definitely see some problems with groupings!).

At most higher-end "tactical" shooting classes, a graded exercise from the 25 yard line, slow-fire, is rather commonplace. You won't see anyone sprinting back to their range-bag to grab their "match ammo" to take such a test - and trust me when I say that the vast majority of folks just shoot whatever's the cheapest they can find: guys with $4K 1911s/2011s shooting Blazer Aluminum or Tula are not uncommon sights.

With typical range-fodder (WWB 115 gr., Blazer Brass or Aluminum 115 or 124 gr., Speer Lawman, Magtech, Reminton UMC, Federal American Eagle, Freedom Munitions, you get the idea), you should be able to achieve a 90 or above with a 10-shot string at the 25 yard line, using the NRA B8 Repair Center target, shooting with no time limit. The same score should be achievable on the Hackathorn-Vickers "The Test"/10-10-10 (Gunfighter Moment - Larry Vickers - Soldier Systems Daily).

• Like Like x 1