New guy, Subcompact slide problem

Discussion in 'XD Gunsmithing and Maintenance' started by pyro8285, Apr 15, 2011.

1. pyro8285

pyro8285 XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi! I'm new to the forum here. I have a xd9sc that has been a great carry and target gun for the past year. I've put close to 500 rounds through it and the only problem I have had, until now, is a broken firing pin clip. Now though, when I rack the slide it does not fall fully into place and the gun will not fire. I literally have to bump the slide back with the heel of my hand a few times for it to seat properly and fire. When firing, absolutely no problems, seats properly every time, fires every time, until I drop the mag and insert a new one, then it hangs up. It is starting to get frustrating and I haven't broken down and called for support. I was wondering if this was common at all and if so, what some fixes might be. Thanks!

2. agalindo

agalindo XDTalk 15K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +25 / 0
    First off what do you mean my firing pin clip? Can you post a pic. When you insert a new mag how do you drop the slide?

3. dglock

dglock XDTalk 3K Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    Have you tried more then one kind of ammo? It sounds like either a ammo problem or the recoil spring is weak. How are you releasing the slide,using the slide stop or are you riding the slide?

don

4. xdmp22

xdmp22 XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    WTF is a firing pin clip and what makes it seem broke)

5. ThumperIII

ThumperIII XDTalk 1K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    to OP: Use the manual that came with your pistol or download one from the SA site. Refer to the parts diagram to identify the correct name of the pistol part you want to discuss. Members here can assist you but only if they are sure what you are trying to ask. Any assumption when using a vague part name can lead to wrong analysis and advise.

6. pyro8285

pyro8285 XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Sorry about the confusion, I did not have the manual handy when I was writing the post. I replaced the striker retainer pin when the original broke at about 200 rounds. When I chamber a round I usually just rack the slide. I took it to my local range and the guys there could not figure it out after taking the slide assembly apart. Once the slide is finally jiggled into place, it shoots and re chambers a new round flawlessly. It is only when doing a mag change or an empty chamber when the problem arises. It literally stops about 1/4 of an inch before it gets all the way forward. It is looking like I am going to have to send it in to Springfield.

7. agalindo

agalindo XDTalk 15K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +25 / 0
    Are you dropping the slide or riding it?

8. AZXD

AZXD XDTalk 35K Member

Ratings:
    +106 / 0
    When you consider that your pin broke with a very low round count, and now you're having an issue with the gun returning to battery when manually cycling it, and have had others look at it, and get the same results ... Yea, perhaps you should send it to SA and let them diagnose your situation.

It's usually caught in QA, but there might be something out of spec, and if so, it might just get worse with time ... Send it in !!

9. Nvr4gt0311

Nvr4gt0311 XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    If this happens with multiple ammo types and you are not "riding" the slide (holding onto the slide as it goes forward to chamber the round instead of releasing it at the point of maximum spring tension), I would definitely send it in as the poster above mentioned. Technically it should chamber a round even if you are just hitting the slide release button. Make sure you talk to someone in customer service and tell them to call you to tell you what they did to your gun before sending it back to you. I have heard a couple of stories of people sending in their gun only to have it returned with nothing done to it.

But it is important to verify that the ammo is not causing the problem (unlikely since it chambers the rounds after the first round) and that the way you are racking the slide is not the problem. One last check you might want to do before sending it in is a magazine check. Does it happen only in one magazine maybe and only when the magazine is full? Test the problem with more than one mag if you have not already and test it with your mag with only a few rounds in it.