new gun to improve XD skills

Discussion in 'The Classroom' started by rogerL, May 1, 2010.

1. May 1, 2010 #1
    rogerL

rogerL XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I got a new gun the other day. I bought it for it's own sake, but soon realized that it is very good for helping me with my XD skills.

It's a HW 40 PCA - a single stroke pneumatic .177 air pistol. Here is is next to my XD40SC.
    [​IMG]

The grip and grip angle are pretty close to the XD's - the XD is a bit longer front to back, but not by much. Here the XD is sitting on top of the HW:

[​IMG]

The HW comes with truglo sights, so if you shoot with fiber optics or tritium sights you'll feel right at home.
    [​IMG]

So, here's what I do. I have a pellet range set up indoors. I load the XD with snap caps, as I would for a dry fire session. I load and fire the HW first. Each time I have a great shot, I then pick up the XD and do a dry fire. It is actually surprising to me how the back-to-back experience really tells me when I'm doing something wrong with the XD.

I don't know if this will turn out to be a sound training regimen or not, but since I'm going to be shooting the HW anyway, why not add the XD into the mix? I bought the HW for general in-home accuracy practice (more for .22lr bullseye pistol than tactical shooting), not to mimic the XD in any way. I think it will pay off.

Regardless, being able to run 100 shots a day through a gun can't be a bad thing. I only get to the range once a week at best. The HW has .20" CTC accuracy - enough to shoot a 10 every time if I do my part.

2. Jun 2, 2010 #2
    whalebluePRS

whalebluePRS XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Planning on the same here. I think a few thousand rounds (or more!) a year on "weather discouraging" days can't be anything but a good idea. Even if it's not large caliber practice.

I'm thinking "Yup!" :-D

3. Jun 12, 2010 #3
    windsearcher

windsearcher XDTalk 3K Member

Ratings:
    +166 / 1
    Have been considering either a "semi-automatic" air pistol of some type or a 22lr pistol (Walther P22 or Buckmark - most likely the Buckmark)..... for cheap practice. The airgun would allow backyard, but not sure how many are all that good.

Good luck with your sessions!

4. Jun 12, 2010 #4
    tinctorus

tinctorus XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    How much did you pick that gun up for as I have been looking into getting a new pellet gun myself as I get bored ALOT and some days its just to damned hot outside to go work on the car to kill time and I cant always afford to go to the range like I would like to so I thought hell this has gotta be the next best thing you know?

5. Jun 12, 2010 #5
    kd7vdb

kd7vdb XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have a friend that has 2 glock 22 lr conversions and they are awsome but i haven't seen them for the xd yet. My most cost prohibitive part of shooting is ammo prices and I usually tell him to bring the conversions and ill bring the ammo -- it works.