new gun to improve XD skills

Discussion in 'The Classroom' started by rogerL, May 1, 2010.

1. rogerL

rogerL XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I got a new gun the other day. I bought it for it's own sake, but soon realized that it is very good for helping me with my XD skills.

It's a HW 40 PCA - a single stroke pneumatic .177 air pistol. Here is is next to my XD40SC.
    [​IMG]

The grip and grip angle are pretty close to the XD's - the XD is a bit longer front to back, but not by much. Here the XD is sitting on top of the HW:

[​IMG]

The HW comes with truglo sights, so if you shoot with fiber optics or tritium sights you'll feel right at home.
    [​IMG]

So, here's what I do. I have a pellet range set up indoors. I load the XD with snap caps, as I would for a dry fire session. I load and fire the HW first. Each time I have a great shot, I then pick up the XD and do a dry fire. It is actually surprising to me how the back-to-back experience really tells me when I'm doing something wrong with the XD.

I don't know if this will turn out to be a sound training regimen or not, but since I'm going to be shooting the HW anyway, why not add the XD into the mix? I bought the HW for general in-home accuracy practice (more for .22lr bullseye pistol than tactical shooting), not to mimic the XD in any way. I think it will pay off.

Regardless, being able to run 100 shots a day through a gun can't be a bad thing. I only get to the range once a week at best. The HW has .20" CTC accuracy - enough to shoot a 10 every time if I do my part.

2. whalebluePRS

whalebluePRS XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Planning on the same here. I think a few thousand rounds (or more!) a year on "weather discouraging" days can't be anything but a good idea. Even if it's not large caliber practice.

I'm thinking "Yup!" :-D

3. windsearcher

windsearcher XDTalk 3K Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Have been considering either a "semi-automatic" air pistol of some type or a 22lr pistol (Walther P22 or Buckmark - most likely the Buckmark)..... for cheap practice. The airgun would allow backyard, but not sure how many are all that good.

Good luck with your sessions!

4. tinctorus

tinctorus XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    How much did you pick that gun up for as I have been looking into getting a new pellet gun myself as I get bored ALOT and some days its just to damned hot outside to go work on the car to kill time and I cant always afford to go to the range like I would like to so I thought hell this has gotta be the next best thing you know?

5. kd7vdb

kd7vdb XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have a friend that has 2 glock 22 lr conversions and they are awsome but i haven't seen them for the xd yet. My most cost prohibitive part of shooting is ammo prices and I usually tell him to bring the conversions and ill bring the ammo -- it works.