Springfield XD Forum banner

New Gerber Bear Grylls Signature Survival Knife

10K views 43 replies 19 participants last post by  AKC 
#1 ·
$50.00 at my local Academy. It comes with a ferro rod, and a diamond sharpening stone built into the sheath. As well as a guide on how to build shelter, water purification, etc. Besides it being a Bear Grylls signature series knife it looks like a good deal. I like my Gerber EDC Tanto blade. It has served me well for almost a year. There is a video in the link. I also talked to a guy who uses one for hunting. He told me it works really good and had just skinned a deer with it on his last hunt. He also said the ferro rod works very well. So, would it be totally gay to buy this? Ha ha!

I've been wanting another knife more gear towards SHTF and the price is right. Right now I have a SOG Revolver Hunter.

Gerber Knives Bear Grylls Ultimate Knife MFG# 31-000751 - RockyNational.com

#2 ·
Looks like an updated LMF, but I like the addition of the ferro rod. I might pick one up if I was in need of a good pack knife. Though at present it'd be cheaper for me to just pick up some ferro rods.

#3 ·
It seems ok to me. As long as the striker rod doesn't pull out in brush or under heavy use I like the unit.

I wonder about the blade though, specifically whether the blade itself is any good.

#4 ·
It seems ok to me. As long as the striker rod doesn't pull out in brush or under heavy use I like the unit.

I wonder about the blade though, specifically whether the blade itself is any good.
The ferro rod seems to snap into place pretty hard. And if the blade holds up like any other Gerber it should be good to go. I was wanting the LMF II but it's twice the price and the BG blade has more to it. I may pick this up today at lunch.

You guys watch the video?

#6 ·
Haha! That's flippin awesome. Hey Bashman. I was waiting for a Bear Grylls bashing response. That's why I asked if it would be totally gay if I bought the knife. We all know Bear Grylls methods of running and jumping around like a monkey on crack over mountains and through jungles is totally absurd.

Besides how we all feel about Bear. That's no secret here. How about the knife? Pretend it doesn't have BG on it.

#7 ·
That looks like a good knife at a really good price. For some reason, some companies are charging as much as $150 for the knife.

#8 ·
That looks like a good knife at a really good price. For some reason, some companies are charging as much as $150 for the knife.
For this knife? MSRP is only $75?

#10 ·
Yeah, I watched the video. I'll stick to my AF survival knife. I take out the sharpening stone and put a magnesium fire stater in that pouch.

#11 ·
#12 ·
Is the knife real, or a fake, too? :twisted:

YouTube - Re: Man Vs. Wild, Bear Grylls is a Phony
Beat me to it. :lol:

Bladeforums review:

Review Gerber Bear Grylls Ultimate Knife - BladeForums.com

The pommel is not attached to the tang and can break off.
Looks like the current version is going to be replaced. Wait for the newer version:

Amazon.com: Brian Griffiths' review of Gerber 31-000751 Bear Grylls Survival Seri...
.....and now we have our answer. ;) :D

#13 ·
Yup, I'm either going to stick with a SOG or I may get the LMF II. The BG knife is in the gay category.

#15 ·
From what I've heard, that's not even the knife that Bear uses.

I'm sure he prefers some $600+ blade.
Oh yea. It's a total endorsement deal and marketing gimmick. It would have been nice to see Gerber actually make a good product with these features though. Like just add the ferro rod to the LMF II or something.

#18 ·
Not a fan of serrated edges on a survival knife. Makes splitting a whole lot harder. For $60 give me the BK2. Better steel, 1/4" thick, no cheap pommel cap.

#19 ·
Well I've purchased an ESEE 4 straight edge blade. I can't wait to get it!

#21 ·
It is ugly as sin with the international orange highlights. But, hey, when you make baby food and insurance policies and knives, not much can be expected.:p

#22 ·
Haha! That's flippin awesome. Hey Bashman. I was waiting for a Bear Grylls bashing response. That's why I asked if it would be totally gay if I bought the knife. We all know Bear Grylls methods of running and jumping around like a monkey on crack over mountains and through jungles is totally absurd.

Besides how we all feel about Bear. That's no secret here. How about the knife? Pretend it doesn't have BG on it.
I noticed this in a frame on one of his episodes. Supposedly, he was out in the middle of nowhere, and for a split second a house showed up in the frame.

#23 ·
I noticed this in a frame on one of his episodes. Supposedly, he was out in the middle of nowhere, and for a split second a house showed up in the frame.
That video posted in this thread was pretty funny. He was supposed to in the middle of no where. Then it shows a civilian in the same spot with a main road right next to it.

#24 ·
updated Gerber LMF with teddy's endorsment I guess it beat the original Bear blade at over $200 and was even worse .
my buddy Brian did a review on it ,
I broke an LMF a few months back ,testing it out against BK&T BK2 ,BRKT Bravo 1,ESEE5.... I'd pass on the Bear blade but I guess it better than nothing

#25 ·
updated Gerber LMF with teddy's endorsment I guess it beat the original Bear blade at over $200 and was even worse .
my buddy Brian did a review on it ,
I broke an LMF a few months back ,testing it out against BK&T BK2 ,BRKT Bravo 1,ESEE5.... I'd pass on the Bear blade but I guess it better than nothing
How did you break that LMF II?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.