New From Illinois and Looking For Advice

Discussion in 'New Member Welcome Center' started by POWERPRO, Jun 3, 2012.

1. POWERPRO

POWERPRO XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Long story as short as I can make it. I've been around guns for a long time, but mostly just shotguns and rifles. Very little experience with hand guns. Went to the range with one of my buddies who has quite a few guns, one of which was an XDm 4.5, and applied for my FIOD card. Been shopping around for guns since then and am now pretty sure I want either an XDm 4.5 or the newer 5.25 in 9mm (may also peak at a Glock 17 due to the amount of aftermarket support). It will be used mostly for range and home protection. Not too worried about carrying at this point for obvious reasons, and if Illinois does ever decide to pass anything I will likely be able to afford something new by that time. I want the 9mm for the cheaper ammo, but am open for opinions. I have about a grand to spend overall, and would possibly like to get a tactical light/laser along with it. I am going to be heading the to local gun store to browse tomorrow so I will also have a better idea about fit and feel by then. I have been reading a lot on this site and have learned a bunch and read a lot of opinions on this vs. that etc., but figured I would throw this out there. Thanks for any opinions or options.

cheers,

Patrick

2. GoldToes

GoldToes XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Im not sure on the xdm series but I have a xd9 service, they are definitely a great line without a doubt. If I were you I would check with your local range/gunshop and get a better idea.

Anyhow, Welcome aboard

3. Helpdesk9

Helpdesk9 XDTalk 20K Member

Ratings:
    +16 / 0
    Welcome from IL!

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

4. Disturbed

Disturbed XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Welcome from Ohio!!

5. Andy_PHA

Andy_PHA XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    welcome, you can't go wrong with the xdm.

6. dw32005

dw32005 XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Welcome from il. I was like you grew up in a family where all we bad were mostly hu ting guns. And bein in IL that meant a great majority of them were shotguns. I ventured out and got an xdm 4.5 in 9mm and I've loved it ever since. Been through quite a few guns in the past few years and have seemed to hang on to the xdm out of all of them, somewhat Bc my gf said shed shoot me if I sold her baby haha. I'd say go for it the xdm's have a pretty good sorce of aftermarket support now, just check a few of the sight sponsors and you'll likely find what you need. As far as light and laser I had a viridean for a while and it didn't stick around to long. Now I just have a flashlight next to the bed.

7. Ridge

Ridge XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0
    Welcome from Ohio!

8. norb5150

norb5150 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I do not own an xd-m at the moment. But I have an xd sub compact (3" barrel" and tactical (5.25" barrel) both in 9mm. I absolutely enjoy and entrust in both of these hand guns. Im not sure of the IL laws concerning mag capacity but you can get high cap mags here in PA. The out of the box accuracy of the sub compact was decent for the size of the barrel. The accuracy and control of the tacticle out of the box was absolutely impressive through out the distances and paces I put it through. I noticed that you stated above that you do not plan to ccw/carry. The tacticle is not easy to conceal in warm weather, but if you so choose to carry at some point it can be done with propper clothing and attire. I would not sugest a light/laser for home defense weapons due to the visibily you create for the intruder you are deffending yourself from. How ever if you so choose to purchase one, surefire makes a nice set up for the many handguns w rail. If your interested in more information please feel free to browse the forums. There are very many helpful topics, discussions, and members here at XD Forums. And once again welcome to the forums

9. richeyo2

richeyo2 XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hello & welcome!
    I own five XDm's & love them all. Never had a single problem out of any of them. I have three 3.8" compacts & two 5.25". The 9mm 5.25" is a great choice for range & HD IMO, very accurate & reliable pistol. I thinked you'd be very pleased w/this choice.

10. SpringerFan

SpringerFan XDTalk 3K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Welcome aboard from Texas.

11. usmamg

usmamg XDTalk 50K Member

Ratings:
    +85 / 0
    Howdy

12. vaderdaman

vaderdaman XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi, and welcome to the forum.
    My first gun was also an XDm 9mm. It just fit my hand better than the other pistols I tried out. I don't even remember what pistols I looked at before getting it:rolleyes:. I looked and picked up just about everything in my price range, that was a 9mm. For the same reason you gave. I could shoot 200 rounds of it for the price of 150 or less of anything else. Being new to guns I wanted to practice.
    Just don't rush your decision. Once you spend the money it's harder to justify going to the gun store and looking at more. Still fun, just not as exciting knowing you can't get one for awhile.:-D

13. bub

bub XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Welcome from PA.

14. Sealteam2

Sealteam2 XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I personally own and carry a 9MM 5" Tactical. But that's what fits best for ME. Find out and feel whats best in your hand with the caliber that works well for the purpose of your intentions for the weapon and go with that. That's a good starting point.

Oh! And welcome from Tombstone ~ Arizona

[ I pointed to two old drunks sitting across the bar from us and told my wife "That's us in 10 years". She said...That's a mirror stupid ! ]

15. POWERPRO

POWERPRO XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    After going out and handling all kinds of guns it seems like the XDm is going to be my best option. Everything about it just seems like a better all around first gun that will be fun at the range and add a feeling of security at home. I feel that it has a good balance of safety, reliability, fun factor and fit n' finish i'm looking for. The guy who was helping me out was very "enthusiastic" to say the least, I must have held about 25 guns, all sorts of types, brands, calibers, used and not. I learned a ton about all of them and could have seen myself owning a lot of them (dangerous), but none of them gave me the feeling that holding the XDm 5.25 gave me. They only had a .45 version, but was mostly just testing fit and feel anyways. I was afraid that it was going to be too big, but after holding the 4.5 first it didn't really feel that gigantic. It will all come down to how much money I feel like parting with the day I go out to buy, and also availability of the bi-tone I would like to see whether I pull the trigger on the 5.25 or 4.5. Thanks again for all of the responses, all of the good praise and over all love for the XD and XDm have really given me a lot of confidence in my decision.

Cheers,

Patrick