New DPMS LR-308 Project

Discussion in 'AR Talk' started by Diamond Jim, Dec 14, 2012.

1. Diamond Jim

Diamond Jim XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    New DPMS LR-308 project (high rail, smooth sided, 24” stainless bull barrel). I came real close to getting the 20” LR-308B, glad I didn’t now. This my first AR and originally I was just going to get a Windham .223 flat-top, but my son “Insisted” that I get the LR-308 as I had been eyeballing it for several years. He was right about that, every time I got close to having the funds for one in the past they would be out of stock and being married with children there was always something coming up that would use those funds for something else. This time Buds had it in stock (now they don’t) and they had their lay-a-way program operational, so I sent in a $200 deposit and paid it out over the next month. My son did good on this one, one of many reasons I’ve always been proud of him. I ended up with roughly $2260 in this project including shipping and FFL transfer fees. The rifle itself was $1036 delivered, the following additions made up the rest of the cost:

Geissele SSA-E 2-stage trigger

Magpul PRS stock for LR-308

Vortex Viper HS 5-15x44 scope (Midway exclusive)

Burris Signature Zee “Extra High” 30mm rings with offset inserts

Butler Creek flip-up caps #14 & #33

Harris 9”-13” notch leg bi-pod

Four Magpul 20LR Pmags for LR-308 (rifle came with two steel 19 round DPMS mags)

We took the rifle out and shot it with a Bushnell 3200 10x about 2 weeks ago, but it had low rings from my Stevens 200 .223 bolt action. It was tough getting a good sight picture and hard to operate the charging handle with this setup. I had absolutely no issues with the operation of the rifle and it appears to be accurate, although I didn’t try to shoot any groups with it knowing the scope was temporary. After I got the scope pretty much on, I turned the rifle over to my wife and son to have some fun with. My wife actually enjoyed shooting it, which surprised me as she’s a bit on the petite side. I told her I would get her an AR-15 later on with a collapsible stock, but she said she likes this one. Damn!

Today my son and I bore sighted the new scope at 50 yds. I ended up bringing the elevation down one full revolution which is 5 mils on this scope (5 mils at 100 yds would be 18” and 20 MOA would be 20”), so it looks like the offset inserts in the Burris rings at least did part of their job. We’ll see for sure when I get to the range next week, maybe. The height of the “Extra High” rings seems to be OK, plenty of room to operate the charging handle and I get a good cheek weld with the PRS cheek rest about half way up.

This Vortex scope is really nice for $500. It’s very bright and clear. The adjustments are firm and definite. As I had read before buying the scope that the side focus and magnification rings where pretty tight when new, but they did seem to loosen up a bit after playing with them. I studied long and hard before buying this scope and at one point I thought I wanted an FFP scope, but the reticle in this thing is big, easy to see in the eyepiece without being too thick if you know what I mean. I see no problems using this scope at any magnification.

Last is the Geissele SSA-E trigger. This is a serious piece of kit! The 1st stage is extremely smooth and when it stops, it takes very little to get a nice clean break out of the 2nd stage. I just wish Geissele made a trigger for my Remington SPS Tactical. Oh well!

All in all, I’m very pleased with how this project came out. I’ll know more after I get a couple of hundred rounds down the range with it. Another thing though; This sucker sure is HEAVY! :cool:

[​IMG]

2. AmickAndAmick

AmickAndAmick XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Wow.. i like that..... that is on mother hunker of a scope! Should bring your target right to you.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

3. RedRyder

RedRyder XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Lol - yep they are heavy
    I have a similar set up
    DPMS LR-308 free float , 18"
    Springfield 6.5-20x tactical scope mil dot , calibrated for 7.62
    Harris bipod
    Magpul 20 round mags

I have given mine the nickname of Bertha ,

4. dglock

dglock XDTalk 3K Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Its not all scope, the last 4 inches is a empty tube.

Designed to keep the sun off the lens.

don

5. Diamond Jim

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I came real close to getting the LR-308B which is the 18". All I do is range shooting since I have a mild handicap, so I went with the 24". I'm gonna try and get that barrel parkerized or durocoated like the 18" is at some point later on. One thing about the extra weight is that it does a lot to tame the recoil of a .308 compared to my SPS Tactical.

6. RedRyder

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I like mine , sure you will like yours too

Mine likes 150 fmj

Did not have a choice about barrel - kinda long story but I got a super deal ....I was not planning for it , it took years before I could afford a scope and mount.

Bertha also likes to be well lubed ( lol ) that's sounds funny to me

Very fun to shoot I will post pics
    Ater

7. silvabaQ

silvabaQ XDTalk 3K Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 1
    Very,very nice. :D

8. LocoGringo

LocoGringo XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My LR-308 started life just like yours. Now, nothing but the upper, lower and BCG are stock...and next year I'm going to get the carrier and cam pin nickel/boron coated. My original barrel was too inconsistent, so I had to replace it. I'm handloading for it now and getting FANTASTIC results. Enjoy it...it's fun to shoot. Just wait until you get a hankering for a suppressor...then it's even funner and your wife will like it even more. Makes it feel like you're shooting a 5.56.

9. Diamond Jim

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I keep a squeeze bottle of Mobil 1 5w-30 nearby. Haven't shot it enough to find a favorite round yet, but with the 1 in 10" twist I've got a feeling it's gonna like the Hornady Amax 168 gr (it better, I've bought 600 of 'em to reload).

10. RedRyder

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Well with 600 bullets , you can make it like them by working up small batches until you find one it's gonna do well with

Good luck , from the time of you first post to now ( bet your glad you have it )

I gave that bertha a hug today , wish I could get a few more 20 round mags ( I have 2 )

Good luck

PM me if you ever have other questions