New! Beretta Nano Review W/Range Time

Discussion in 'Non-XD Handguns' started by SonOfOdin, Jan 17, 2013.

1. SonOfOdin

SonOfOdin XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 1
    Well folks, I am up to my antics again. I sold another gun with the intention of putting the money towards the Ruger SR1911 Commander I have on layaway. Obviously, it did not work out like that. Originally, I never gave much thought to the Nano. No matter what I might say or speculate though, I always reserve final judgment until I have shot it for myself. The club got some in, including one for range rental. Nobody there had shot
    it, so I said what the heck, I'll give it a shot ;).

[​IMG]
    This was the result. This result was NOT good. My first time firing the Nano and I was shocked that I was not only able to punch the center out, but it was easy and fun to shoot. Oh boy, here we go again...my G.A.D. started kicking in HARD. G.A.D., or Gun Acquisition Disorder, affects many of us. Wherein, if we shoot a gun and like it well enough, we pretty much have to have one. So, I walked right back out and bought one. Why not? I just parted with my beloved .44 magnum....

So, I proceeded back on to the range with my newly acquired infatuation. I took it right out of the box, no lubrication, and shot the dog boogers out of it. I let everyone fondle and shoot it to see how it would react in the hands of different shooters. In total, I shot probably over 300 rounds of PMC 115 grain ball alone, plus what other people shot. The result? It just worked. Never a jam, stovepipe or any type of malfunction. Smooth and easy cats, smooth and easy.

Naturally, the diminutive size of the gun made the perceived recoil a tad higher. It was a joy to shoot...for the first 150 rounds. After, my hand started to get red and sore and the grip became more and more aggressive. Don't let that fool you, though. After all, I shot a lot in one sitting for such a small pistol.

The trigger is....different. It's a lot longer than most striker fired guns. It is somewhat like a double action striker fired hybrid. Nonetheless, it smoothed out as I shot and had a very crisp break. The reset is like a double action, which means the trigger needs to be let all the way forward. I did not mind, as it seem to be intuitive while firing and using the recoil of the slide to my advantage.

Midway through shooting when the pistol was more grungy than Kurt Cobain, I tested a box of my second favorite carry ammo to see how they would function. 147 grain standard pressure Gold Dots made this little booger jump! However, they were very accurate and tight.

The Nano came in the standard blue Beretta box with two 6 round magazines. If I was going to carry this as a primary, I would rather have the 8 round magazines. Another thing I would like to mention is the lack of a slide release. The Nano is designed to be a smooth, snag free draw. As such, it will lock back with an empty magazine in the mag well, but not without. Therefore, the slide must be slingshot into battery. It will also fire with the magazine removed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The leather holster is an SG Accessories, made right here in Ohio. It fits on the belt with a clip for the trouser material. However, it can be turned around and worn inside the waistband. The fabric holster is a Blackhawk #3 pocket holster. Both fit very well, making the Nano adaptable to pocket or belt carry. The knife is a sprint run, limited edition paramilitary with FDE G-10 scales and an extremely sharp blade of CPM-S35VN.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2013
  2. drs1321

drs1321 XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +220 / 1
    You sir, have a problem. I like it.

Nice gun! You'll always find more money for the commander.

3. Partinrn

Partinrn XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    He has a major issue, and I will be more than happy to take his Beretta to alleviate his pain :D Nice gun man!

4. Bonehead

Bonehead XDTalk 15K Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    man I am digging that sig... I know you are talking about the nano.... but I like that sig.

5. warbird1

warbird1 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0
    Best review I have seen on the Nano. Makes me want to go out and buy one.

6. mferris

mferris XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    That's a great review, thanks for sharing. My experience with the nano has been very similar, it's a great little shooter and easy to conceal.

7. Minkman555

Minkman555 XDTalk 3K Member

Ratings:
    +179 / 38
    Awesome Odin !!!

I really want a nano -- I'm glad you love her !!

8. mojoman

mojoman XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    Wow, I'm loving that setup.

9. SonOfOdin

Ratings:
    +7 / 1
    Its already budgeted out for layaway. The Nano was possible because I sold a gun.

10. SonOfOdin

Ratings:
    +7 / 1
    Thanks, but get your own!! lol.

11. SonOfOdin

Ratings:
    +7 / 1
    Thanks. I honestly suggest shooting one first. Lately, I have saved a lot of money and time by renting guns at the club before investing in them.

12. DenverPilot

DenverPilot XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Nice review. Good to know GAD syndrome is common. :)

13. evilspringer

evilspringer XDTalk 10K Member

Ratings:
    +145 / 0
    Boy, I thought you were going to get the new toy out of layaway already.
    Just messing with you. Congrats on the Nano. Great review.

My GAD is running real high right now also. I have to work tomorrow at the gunshow. If he has a G26 Gen4, that may cure it.

Doubt it!:twisted:

14. SonOfOdin

Ratings:
    +7 / 1
    Thanks E! The problem is that employees were already trying to buy the gun before it got on the floor. So, its like I have my name on waiting list, but the widget is already in and I just have to pay it off. I chose to spend my excess on this because it was not all that expensive and...

My gaming laptop is dying. For those that don't know, I am a big time gamer. So, I have I have a system that can handle my demands, not just school stuff. My money is already allocated to building a new machine with some extra to pay off the Ruger Com little by little without going broke. I'll have it soon. In the meantime, *this*!

15. 777TRUTH

777TRUTH XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Great review. If I didn't have a PPS I'd take a look at the Nano